Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

Why not? What will they do with it? I doubt they're going to invent 3D facebook or something, of course they're going to do this. 

How do you know this isn't Facebook entering the gaming race? I for one think they would be a great additional to it as they're a very successful company and I defy you to find anyone with access to internet who hasn't hear of them. 

Being well known doesn't equate with success

Don't worry, Valve is working on their own VR headset with help from Oculus?

We have GabeN's glorious VR headset now.

gaben.jpg

Galaxy: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by a h105) - ASUS Sabertooth Z77 - Corsair Vengeance 8gb Ram - Nvidia GTX 780 2 way Sli - Corsair HX850i - Corsair C70

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Battlefield 4 Collectors Edition (TO BE REPLACED BY K65 RGB) - Logitech G502 - Hyperx Cloud

Well...so much for drinking out of a glass tonight...it's bottle time.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU

Don't worry, I think Valve is working on their own VR headset with help from Oculus?

gaben.jpg

At least we can sitll rely on GabeN in times of need!

CPU: i5-3490k @ 4.0Ghz | CPU & GPU Cooler: Custom Watercooling Loop |  Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 7 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1866Mhz | Graphics Card: ASUS R9 290

HDD: Seagate 1TBx2 + 240GB Plextor M6e | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 | Monitor: 2 Random 21" TVs

why....... facebook is the last company that should touch vr

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I think I'll be refunding my preorder for 2 DK2s.... What the hell were they thinking!? I feel cheated... violated. Valve, please fix?

Cheers,

Linus

I've been saving my money and holding it for when the oculus rift releases BUT I swear to god.. If they integrate a facebook app or settle for a unfinished product or fuck it up in anyway.... I'm out, I'll just blow the money on hookers, delete my facebook account and give up playing games, Its just the one thing I wanted facebook to keep its hands of but Mark couldn't resist. On the other hand, if he piles cash into it and makes a product we all love, I'll be happy to pay more for it sooner. 

I'm genuinely not sure if this is a happy day or sad day for gaming.

That's an old photo of GabeN.  GabeN the Grey has transformed into GabeN the White

Bearded-Gabe-Newell-.jpg

Except Facebook itself. In case you use it, can you tell me when was the last time you used it for something social that is not Candy Crush or other game related thing? 

Last 5 minutes when I messaged a friend. Don't make a fool out of yourselves, you're all overacting. A company you hate bought something you like, get over it.

Is Facebook the best company to buy Oculus Rift? Probably not.

Will this fuck Oculus Rift? Who knows 

Now I suggest everyone grow some balls and stop crying over spilled milk, Jesus. 

Don't worry, Valve is working on their own VR headset with help from Oculus?

Valve HAD no intentions to release there own yet.

If that has changed because of this, or has made the plans to release speed up, we don't know.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

"We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. "

Despite the fact that I entirely hate Facebook... I really don't think this is the end of the Rift. Really surprising anyway, April Fool's day joke maybe?

My brain hurts. This is so sad... The little hope I have left for now Face(Oculus)book dreams of Facebook mixing with Oculus like water with oil, only the money flowing in for development. Dreams are temporary though and I sure want to be wrong. WHY OH WHY 

To all the twelve-year olds and drama llamas on this forum:

Posted Image

Stop it. We have NO IDEA what will come as a result of this, but it's safe to say that Facebook will not be stupid about this.

I bet many of you are ones who were gleefully predicting the downfall of Facebook after the IPO, but you should really check the stock price. It's doing very well.

Stock is not what matters. We are worried that Facebook being at the head will taint the goals of oculus as a whole.

"We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. "

Despite the fact that I entirely hate Facebook... I really don't think this is the end of the Rift. Really surprising anyway, April Fool's day joke maybe?

I doubt it, its too early and not at all funny really.

It really annoys any VR enthusiast, and all facebook gets is loads of people calling it crap,evil and complaining about it.

No real joke.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Oh god! I just thought how Facebook could integrate virtual reality selfies. We are screwed!

Current PC: Chimera, Because AMD and Nvidia belong together

| CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256 GB SSD, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB SC | Case: CM N600 | PSU: Corsair CX 600W(Overkill but I was originaly planning for a 970) | Moniter: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24" |

Left five, Don't cut, Be brave.

Stupid mother f**ckers... F*** You facebook! Vr is dead!

I made this freaking account just to let some steam off.

SCREW YOU FACEBOOK, I AM GOING HOME!

Steam's VR box is suddenly looking infinitely more appealing...

Btw, love your vids linus... lol

[EDIT]

I aimed to buy one of those things as soon as I could muster up 400 dollars. You've lost one more developer, Oculus...

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Software Developer, Guitarist, Aspiring Politican-

Yes you do, everybody here does. Mark himself said so let me quote it in case you forgot:

It is pretty easy to draw conclusion as to why Zuckerberg wants Oculus, it's no coincidence that the king and creator of the casual market wanted this "tech"

I guess we have different definitions of gimmick? I understood a gimmick to be something that flashes in popularity and then utterly vanishes from the market, not simply going mainstream.

EDIT: I guess technically it's somewhere in between:

"a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use."

I would think Mark's quote about it being used in classrooms and such would mean it wouldn't be gimmicky, if it does come about. Whatever, semantics. Don't wanna squabble over it.

Just curious, how many people here that are upset, still use Facebook?

It's been pretty clear to me for years now, that Facebook needs a mass exodus of users.

Well I guess dev kit two will be the last one to buy as dev kit 3 will be "integrated" With one of the how should I say it. Corrupting companies of the 21st century

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?