Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

I hope Valve comes back into the VR scene again. Gaben is our only saviour now.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

Oh dear God no!

Why?! Why?!

Facebook ruins everything they touch!

Looks like there won't be any more VR innovation.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

April Fool's is one week from today.  Coincidence?

4930k @ 4.0 GHz - Rampage IV Black - 16GB Dominator Platnium 1600 Cas 8 - 2x 780TI Classified SLI - 640 GT - Xonar Pheobus - 2x 128GB 840 Pro RAID 0 - 250GB 840 EVO - Live Gamer HD - AX1200i - COSMOS II - H100i - 4x SP120 - 4x AF120 - AF140 - 3x U3014 - Blackwidow Ultimate - Naga - Mouse Bungee - Manticor - 2x Sabertooth - Atrox - T500RS - TH8RS - Tiamat 7.1 - SP2500 - c920 - Smart-UPS SMT1500

so we use that phone camera technology to virtualize my home and then my facebook friends can come in VR my house and we can live out a creepy second life VR world? I don't get it.... 

... dislike facebook-dislike.png

:( I will cancel my DK2 pre-order if this goes though... Really hope it doesn't as I really want a Rift.... DON'T DO IT Luckey.

This is not grounds for cancelling a preorder. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

Why do you do this to us facebook why, I wanted to get a rift now this has deterred me 100%  

Darkest day for VR EVER! If this is true i will never buy another rift again

AnimeFAN

michael-scott-no.gif

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

You fucking kidding me? Good freaking job, Facebook. You just know how to fuck shit up.

Desktop: i9 12900K - 64GB 6000 MHz CL36 - RTX 4090 X3 OC

Unraid server: Ryzen 3900X - 32GB 3200 MHz CL14 - Quadro P2000 - 50+ TB raw

Guys lets not forget John Carmack still works for Oculus everything is gonna be OK!

wow people are actually upset over this 

Well of course we are. Facebook is an evil company and they have little to no experience with games, gamers, gaming products, etc. etc. I'd rather Microsoft have bought Oculus!

COMIC SANS

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

this is what is gonna happen:

"to open the door to the next level you will have to pay 100facebook coins, go to facebook/giveusyourmoney"

"to talk to friends you will need to allow FB to record and store all your conversations"

"to play this game, please allow facebook to record and store you GPS location"

R.I.P oculus.

I would much rather have some company like maybe even Razer buy Oculus, at least they know what the gamer needs and the market in general, why the crappy social network and not some tech giant, why?:(

facebook + whatsapp +  Oculus = the ultimate socializing experience , like a game where the purpose is to socialize .

Some how I think this is going to be on the WAN show, not sure why...

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I'm going to have to put on my raincoat to survive the avalanche of vitriol coming my way but....

Called it! I knew this VR stuff was nothing but a trend, a fluff, a bubble, just another stupid gimmick for the casual crowd. I know lots of you, Linus and Luke included, were very exited about the prospect of VR but it was destined to end up in casuals land like all gimmicks. The fact that Sony is trying to get into should have given you a hint but this is a not so subtle indicator that the interest behind this is mass-appeal and fleeting.

Kudos to Oculus they made a pretty damn good buck on this and Facebook will turn this into another super fast bubble like Farmville or the Wii and it will be completely forgotten within 6 years or so, like Zyna, like King games, like the Wii, like all other gimmick based, short lived fads.

-------

Current Rig

-------