Nexus 5x Hardbrick - How to unbrick?

a brief summary (these events occured 1 year back)

i have a nexus 5x, which worked well for about 3 years, and then the phone suddenly crashed while using instagram, and was stuck in a bootloop. i looked online(before i knew about the ltt forum) and realised that it was a common issue, and most people said that the way to fix it was to flash a custom rom. so i did flash a custom rom, and the phone worked well for a week, before it crashed (again while using instagram), and now it wont turn on. the only indication of life which was on the phone is a red light on the bottom speaker grille when i plug it in to charge, and now thats gone as well.

my current phone has died (irrepairable, dropped it in the toilet), and im not in a position to purchase a new phone. i have a working windows 10 laptop as well. is there anyway for me to unbrick my nexus? im willing to do almost anything.

thanks in advance, i really hope i find a solution

😕

4 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

i have a nexus 5x, which worked well for about 3 years, and then the phone suddenly crashed while using instagram, and was stuck in a bootloop. i looked online(before i knew about the ltt forum) and realised that it was a common issue, and most people said that the way to fix it was to flash a custom rom. so i did flash a custom rom, and the phone worked well for a week, before it crashed (again while using instagram), and now it wont turn on. the only indication of life which was on the phone is a red light on the bottom speaker grille when i plug it in to charge, and now thats gone as well.

my current phone has died (irrepairable, dropped it in the toilet), and im not in a position to purchase a new phone. i have a working windows 10 laptop as well. is there anyway for me to unbrick my nexus? im willing to do almost anything.

Maybe do the same thing and uninstall instagram and reinstall it

Since it did the same with 2 ROMs it's likely the hardware is faulty and nothing software will help.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Pretty sure that this is a hardware issue, I think some of the chips weren't properly soldered on the board. You have a better shot of fixing the water damaged phone than the Nexus IMO. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Since it did the same with 2 ROMs it's likely the hardware is faulty and nothing software will help.

is there nothing I can do about it? I'm in desperate need for a buffer phone until I'm able to afford a new one

😕

Bring it to a repairperson?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Pretty sure that this is a hardware issue, I think some of the chips weren't properly soldered on the board. You have a better shot of fixing the water damaged phone than the Nexus IMO. 

I gave the phone to an authorised Asus service centre (was an Asus phone) and they said the phone is irreparable. is there nothing I can do about the Nexus?

😕

Just now, Kilrah said:

Bring it to a repairperson?

i thought I would do that if there was no way to fix the phone by myself. there are no Google or LG service centres near where I live, and I'm not confident giving my phone to a 3rd party phone serviceman, the phone services in India, although plenty in number, are pretty sketchy 

😕

You're in India, you should have people repairing phones in malls who will do a better job than any "authorised service centers". The latter don't even try to repair things, just swap major components with new ones for full price.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Just now, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

is there nothing I can do about the Nexus?

You could try giving it to a repair shop or something, but I doubt that it would be worth the money. Or maybe you can look for a replacement main board? Although I don't think you can find one for a reasonable price. Have you considered buying an older used phone to use in the meantime? I think you can find some old Galaxy A series phones for really cheap (<$50).

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You're in India, you should have people repairing phones in malls who will do a better job then any "authorised service centers". The latter don't even try to repair things, just swap major components with new ones for full price.

you've got a point there yes, but again, I live in a rather rural area, there's not many shops that I can give a nexus to, since they all repair phones like cheaper Xiaomis oppos and vivos (please don't get the wrong idea with what I'm trying to say lol)

I don't mind giving it to a repairman, but I'd like to see if there is anything I could do by myself to repair it. if not then I guess I could go a month without a phone and then purchase a new one in the upcoming festive season, so prices will be slashed as well, like how @PCGuy_5960suggested

😕

4 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

I live in a rather rural area, there's not many shops that I can give a nexus to, since they all repair phones like cheaper Xiaomis oppos and vivos (please don't get the wrong idea with what I'm trying to say lol)

It wouldn't hurt to try though. I mean, the phone is broken anyway, wouldn't be such a bad idea to give it to one of those shops and ask them if there's anything they could potentially do to fix it. Best case, you get a working phone, worst case, the phone is still broken. ;)

31 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

dropped it in the toilet

Did you expect a phone with water damage to live?...

The only solution is repair,but that is going to be a problem for the repair people since you kept using the phone afterwards.

Corrosion is a nasty thing that spreads like a disease,and Water+metal+electricity=corrosion.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It wouldn't hurt to try though. I mean, the phone is broken anyway, wouldn't be such a bad idea to give it to one of those shops and ask them if there's anything they could potentially do to fix it. Best case, you get a working phone, worst case, the phone is still broken. ;)

Most of the shops there are ran by charlatans.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

24 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Most of the shops there are ran by charlatans.

Some are legit and you can check for reviews on google maps or something. Still, the phone is broken so it's worth a shot IMO.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Did you expect a phone with water damage to live?...

The only solution is repair,but that is going to be a problem for the repair people since you kept using the phone afterwards.

Corrosion is a nasty thing that spreads like a disease,and Water+metal+electricity=corrosion.

that's not the phone that I want to repair though, lol 

the phone I dropped was my old one. the one I want to repair is one with no physical damage whatsoever, it's been hardbricked after I flashed a custom rom

😕

20 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

the phone I dropped was my old one. the one I want to repair is one with no physical damage whatsoever, it's been hardbricked after I flashed a custom rom

Oh,happened to me with an old LG phone before.

I flashed the wrong firmware the first time but managed to fix it.

You are lucky it's a LG phone because there is an emergency mode and there is the download mode,emergency mode is suppose to boot even if it's a hard brick.

And there is download mode. one of them works very similarly to BIOS Flashback.

There are guides online on how to boot to each mode.

3 hours ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

Well IDk about the x but around 6 years ago I baught a Nexus 5 and it completly died after 5 months. after 1 month the phone started randomly turning off and crushing while playing games (and not very damending games). in the second month the front camera stopped working, and everytime I would plug or unplug my headphones It would restart it selt. in the 3rd month nothing new happened, but in the 4th month everytime the phone connect or disconnected from something it would restart it self, headphones, charger, data cable, wifi, moblie data, bluetooth, cell servise, literally anything that it would connect or disconnect to, physical or not, it would restart it self when it connected and when it disconneced, but I was 13 years old and I didnt know better so I stuck with it and in the 5th month when someone (including me) hand up a phone call the phone would restart it self and that was enaugh for 13 years old me (that played moded minecraft ona a laptop witha mouse that brealy works, around 10 FPS and crashes after an hour, man what was wrong with me, I could have gotten a normal mouse at list, and Im sure that If I asked I would have got a desktop that is good enough to play minecraft) so we contacted google and sent it and they said that it shouldnt act like that (thx google you really helped) and that they can either refund me or send me a new one and I chooce a refund (because I paid for that phone) and got a Oneplus 3T that served me well for more then 5 years. thats my nexus 5 sroty. and the point I was trying to make is telling you to get a different phone because the whole nexus 4 and 5 families are trash and should be burned it hell.

3 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

-snip-

oh i see, funny story you have there lol

😕

3 hours ago, Vishera said:

Oh,happened to me with an old LG phone before.

I flashed the wrong firmware the first time but managed to fix it.

You are lucky it's a LG phone because there is an emergency mode and there is the download mode,emergency mode is suppose to boot even if it's a hard brick.

And there is download mode. one of them works very similarly to BIOS Flashback.

There are guides online on how to boot to each mode.

if you dont mind, could you please link a walthrough to me? i couldnt find anything when i searched.

😕

1 hour ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

if you dont mind, could you please link a walthrough to me? i couldnt find anything when i searched.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/help/req-help-to-unbrick-t3251740

There is a possibility you won't be able to use the TOT file there.

It depends on the full model number of your phone,it suppose to be visible after you remove the battery cover.

And if this solution doesn't work,LG phones have more options to fix it.

9 hours ago, Vishera said:

It depends on the full model number of your phone,it suppose to be visible after you remove the battery cover.

oh thanks! will try this know and update you soon!

😕

On 10/18/2020 at 11:49 PM, Vishera said:

update, plugged in the phone via usb type-c, phone is showing signs of life, windows detects it as "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008(COM3)", which is what lots of people with the same issue on the xda forum also say

ill go forth with the TOT flashing soon, fingers crossed that it works!

😕

1 hour ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

ill go forth with the TOT flashing soon, fingers crossed that it works!

Just to make sure,What is the full model number of your phone,and storage size?

Remove the battery cover,you will be able to see it on the back of the phone.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:37 PM, Vishera said:

Just to make sure,What is the full model number of your phone,and storage size?

Remove the battery cover,you will be able to see it on the back of the phone.

umm im not sure about the full model number, but i know that its the H791 32GB variant (stated on the bottom back of the phone), i still havent done the flashing process coz i was caught up with school work, but ill remove the battery cover just to be sure.

😕