Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EspinalAndres

GIGABYTE Z490M Gaming X any good?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Greetings,

Finally we have amazon's free shipping and I found this motherboard (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087GYYNWX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1) supercheap (here in colombia it is twice as expensive).

 

1- Can I overclock a k processor? I ask because it is a z490M.

2- does it work with this power supply (EVGA G3 550 https://latam.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0550-Y1)? My PSU has 4+4 cpu connector, but this motherboard has 4+4 +4 (ATX_12V_2X2/ATX_12V_2X4/ATX). I wanna overclock as high as i can, maybe an i5 10600k or a 10700k.

3- Is it any good to support an i7 10700k or i5 10600k at 5 Ghz? Can´t find any review about it.

4- Why does it say that only supports up to 2666 on an i5 and i7 up to 5000? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490M-GAMING-X-rev-10/sp#sp

5- Does it fit on this case https://aerocool.io/product/cylon/? I think both say micro atx so maybe it fits?

 

I need accurate answers because any mistakes would mean a return to USA, which would cost a lot.

Thank you!!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, EspinalAndres said:

Greetings,

Finally we have amazon's free shipping and I found this motherboard (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087GYYNWX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1) supercheap (here in colombia it is twice as expensive).

 

1- Can I overclock a k processor? I ask because it is a z490M.

2- does it work with this power supply (EVGA G3 550 https://latam.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0550-Y1)? My PSU has 4+4 cpu connector, but this motherboard has 4+4 +4 (ATX_12V_2X2/ATX_12V_2X4/ATX). I wanna overclock as high as i can, maybe an i5 10600k or a 10700k.

3- Is it any good to support an i7 10700k or i5 10600k at 5 Ghz? Can´t find any review about it.

4- Why does it say that only supports up to 2666 on an i5 and i7 up to 5000? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490M-GAMING-X-rev-10/sp#sp

5- Does it fit on this case https://aerocool.io/product/cylon/? I think both say micro atx so maybe it fits?

 

I need accurate answers because any mistakes would mean a return to USA, which would cost a lot.

Thank you!!!

 

 

1)

Yes, the M just means it is a micro-ATX board (4 expansion shots in length), rather than a full-sized ATX (7 expansion slots in length).

 

2)

Yes. The 8-pin (4+4) connection is mandatory, while the extra 4-pin is optional. If you are using an i7-10700K or i5-10600K, the 8-pin EPS connector along is MORE than enough. The 8-pin EPS connector can supply up to 384W to the CPU.

 

3)

It is supposedly the same VRM as the Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X (non-X version), so it is a Tier-B motherboard.

 

4)

Looks like Gigabyte screwed up the detail point there.

The i5/i3/Celeron CPUs officially support up to DDR4-2666 without XMP / overclocking the CPU's Integrated Memory Controller (IMC).

The i7/i9 can officially support up to DDR4-2933 without XMP / overclocking the CPU's Integrated Memory Controller (IMC).

 

5)

Yes, it is a Micro-ATX case, so it will fit.

Don't get that case though. It's RGB, but because of the COMPETELY closed front, airflow is going to be GARBAGE....almost non-existent.

You are going to probably see 80*C+ temperatures for the CPU and GPU, due to lack of proper airflow.


Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

  • i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

Intel Z97 Rig (Secondary)

  • Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

  • FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

 

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EspinalAndres said:

1- Can I overclock a k processor? I ask because it is a z490M.

2- does it work with this power supply (EVGA G3 550 https://latam.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0550-Y1)? My PSU has 4+4 cpu connector, but this motherboard has 4+4 +4 (ATX_12V_2X2/ATX_12V_2X4/ATX). I wanna overclock as high as i can, maybe an i5 10600k or a 10700k.

3- Is it any good to support an i7 10700k or i5 10600k at 5 Ghz? Can´t find any review about it.

4- Why does it say that only supports up to 2666 on an i5 and i7 up to 5000? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490M-GAMING-X-rev-10/sp#sp

5- Does it fit on this case https://aerocool.io/product/cylon/? I think both say micro atx so maybe it fits?

1- Yes you can overclock, it's still a Z490 Chipset

2- The extra 4 Pin on this board isn't necessary to use and it's plenty to overclock a 10700K, you can use the 4+4 alone

3- Yeah the board has decent VRMs and it shouldn't have any issues overclocking a 10700K

4- I believe it's to differentiate the native DRAM support as the i7/i9 support 2933Mhz natively but the i5 goes up to 2666Mhz, but all the CPUs can go above the native support on Z490 which is considered an OC

5- It's a Micro ATX board, so yes

 


Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Yes you still can, M refers to the form factor being Matx. 

2. Yes, and you only need the 8 pin eps, the 4 pin isn't necessary as the 8 pin easily provides 384w of power which is enough for an overclocked 10600k/10700k.

3. I can't find anything about it's vrm but if it is the same thing as the ATX board, then it uses 11 SIC651 and is a pretty good board. Edit: and yea it seems like it's the same thing, so it can handle a 10700k easily. 

4. The base speed for the imc is 2666, anything over that is techincally not guaranteed but you can get higher speeds with the i5/i7/i9. 

5. Yes.


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Thank you all for your excellent answers!

I'm a little worry about GPU clearence: I have got a MSI 1070ti titanium (https://latam.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1070-Ti-Titanium-8G) and i see that PCI 16x pretty close to the mobo shield, could this be a problem? I guess not, but by the photos i feel i won´t fit at all, that 1070ti has a backplate.

 

Captura.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, EspinalAndres said:

and i see that PCI 16x pretty close to the mobo shield, could this be a problem? I guess not, but by the photos i feel i won´t fit at all, that 1070ti has a backplate.

I think it should fit just fine, the backplate of the card doesn't hang much beyond the PCIe slot, the pins are in the middle but there's headroom because it's rectangular


Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Syn. said:

I think it should fit just fine, the backplate of the card doesn't hang much beyond the PCIe slot, the pins are in the middle but there's headroom because it's rectangular

also all GPUs these days have backplates, it would be a huge oversight if it didn't fit because of it


Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Thank you!

Is 2.5 Gbe better than 1 Gbe? I have got 100mb internet (like 12 MB download) (non optic fiber), would 2.5 Gbe make a difference? I don´t undestand that topic, if so, I'll could get the z490 tomahawk if not I dont see any advantage for me to get the tomahawk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EspinalAndres said:

Thank you!

Is 2.5 Gbe better than 1 Gbe? I have got 100mb internet (like 12 MB download) (non optic fiber), would 2.5 Gbe make a difference? I don´t undestand that topic, if so, I'll could get the z490 tomahawk if not I dont see any advantage for me to get the tomahawk.

No it won't make any difference, if your internet connection was above 1Gbps then you would benefit from it, as it stands you're only using 0.1Gbps (100Mbps) of your 1Gbps Ethernet Controller

 

Also quote people so they can see that you've replied, I only get a notification because you reacted to my comment


Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×