Advice me what to upgrade

IsuruN

Budget (including currency): $450

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: ML, PCB Electronics  Design, Gaming

Other details:

I have this old PC

• P4 HT 3.4GHz
  • 2GB RAM
  • GeForce 6600 1GB
  • 500GB HDD

looking forward to upgrade Graphics card, audio but should I have to upgrade both MB and processor too ?

to get resonable performance?? 

Im currently in college and trying to rebuild my old rig which was not used for years...

help me out with this guys...

Sounds like a very old system.  Without a motherboard model capacities can’t even be known.  Such a machine is very very old and throwing more money at such antique hardware might be considered a waste.  High probability a whole new machine would be better value, as parts for a machine that old would have gone up in price rather than down.  Making a whole machine for $USA450 is quite difficult.  The most reasonable upgrades for very old hardware like that would be an SSD if it’s even got sata, but with no motherboard model even that is pretty iffy.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Everything here NEEDS an upgrade. Theres just simply no practical way to reuse the components in this build a single core CPU just won't cut it anymore. (assuming the 500GB HDD still uses a ribbon cable, otherwise that could be reused). With the budget you had I had to play it cheap all the way down to the PSU, and came out with 2 builds, the first meets at your budget point and has slightly better PSU, RAM, motherboard, but uses AMDs APU technology rather than a dedicated GPU, the 2nd one gives about a $60 leeway in the budget which relies on you finding a half way decent GPU (maybe like a 1060 3GB or 970) but for the most part, your gonna need to get lucky and win a bid on Ebay. Note: The first build will warn you on PcPartPicker that the 3400G may not be compatible without a BIOS updated. If when you receive the 3400G if it does need a BIOS update (though usually the manufacture will have already done it) you can get a loaner CPU kit from AMD for free and do it that way.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($144.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME A320M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($58.99 @ Walmart) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($68.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Team GX2 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: DIYPC F2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $425.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-27 06:15 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($58.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Team GX2 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: DIYPC F2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $391.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-27 06:11 EDT-0400

Imho @RAM555789 did well to even create something at that price level.  I didn’t think it was possible.  For what was created there the old gpu would go into the second system 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

For what was created there the old gpu would go into the second system 

Could find a used 1030 easily under $60 which you could put in instead.

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2020 at 7:55 PM, RAM555789 said:

Could find a used 1030 easily under $60 which you could put in instead.

For that much OP can get the significantly more powerful R9 380 on the used market.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566