Converting my old laptop into a Desktop PC

Hi guys, I'm having a HP 15R laptop and it's screen is broken along with a dead battery. My idea was to restore it without spending more than $20. So, I decided to mount the laptop motherboard along with it's components into an old ATX case. I know that the mounting holes might not match, but is it possible? Also, can I connect the power button and LED indicators from the case to the laptop motherboard? I'm okay with soldering and stuff if that's possible. I'll be using the power adaptor that came with the laptop and will not try to use a PSU. One more thing - I can't get the bios screen to display in an external monitor, everything after the startup/bios screen gets displayed on the external monitor.

Edited by kartxtpro

Why not just use the laptop body without a screen? I don't see a benefit of taking the motherboard out and putting it in a case, it'll just take up more space. 

3 minutes ago, kartxtpro said:

One more thing - I can't get the bios screen to display in an external monitor, everything after the startup/bios screen gets displayed on the external monitor.

Good luck with that, I am doing a similar thing with a laptop and I have not found a way to do it. Theres a tiny chance that if you hit the function key for the external display it might work on your laptop, but from what I have seen about other people's experience as well as my own, there's no way to display the bios screen on an external display on most laptops.

11 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Why not just use the laptop body without a screen? I don't see a benefit of taking the motherboard out and putting it in a case, it'll just take up more space. 

Good luck with that, I am doing a similar thing with a laptop and I have not found a way to do it. Theres a tiny chance that if you hit the function key for the external display it might work on your laptop, but from what I have seen about other people's experience as well as my own, there's no way to display the bios screen on an external display on most laptops.

A workaround here is to stick the removed screen of the laptop to the side of the case, where it can act as an emergency display or a status screen. I think it'd be pretty cool to have the original screen on the side of the case to show temps, clock speeds etc.

12 minutes ago, The_russian said:

The reason behind this is the fact that my laptop heats up quite a lot even after cleaning it from the inside. So I thought about adding a case fan and connecting it to the slimline sata using adaptors. Also, the laptop is in quite a bad shape with broken panels.

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I actually wanted to do that, but I don't have any facilities to work with wood or aluminium. Also, making a shop to do this was quite a bit expensive beyond my budget

52 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

A workaround here is to stick the removed screen of the laptop to the side of the case, where it can act as an emergency display or a status screen. I think it'd be pretty cool to have the original screen on the side of the case to show temps, clock speeds etc.

Yeah that would be nice, but both mine and the OP’s screen is broken, so unfortunately that isn’t an option.