"Show post has been edited" should be selected by default

pythonmegapixel

Most other forum software automatically flags up if something was edited, it's only here that you have to do it manually.

This is irritating because often I want to show that something has been edited, but forget to tick the box. So I think the default setting should be that edits are shown, with the box having to be unticked if one wishes to hide them.

This would also remove confusion for others - quite frequently I've had people ask "did you edit that" because the bit underneath hasn't appeared.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

20 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Most other forum software automatically flags up if something was edited, it's only here that you have to do it manually.

This is irritating because often I want to show that something has been edited, but forget to tick the box. So I think the default setting should be that edits are shown, with the box having to be unticked if one wishes to hide them.

This would also remove confusion for others - quite frequently I've had people ask "did you edit that" because the bit underneath hasn't appeared.

image.png.23f203043e28256f49447c47b85bb2a0.png

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

I prefer the way it is. Why? Most of the time I'm on the forums I'm also doing other work or on mobile. If I accidentally misspell something I can go ahead and edit it. If anything is ever important enough to add a note that it was edited it's as simple as me typing...

Edit 1: Added first edit notes

Edit 2: its to it's

Now I don't think it's a bother for someone to know that I've edited its to it's. However if something has changed dramatically or entire statements have been retracted, that's something I'd show in an "Edit: abcd" post.

I'm not here to argue either, just stating my opinion that I enjoy the way it is.

If it always shows "(edited)" in the timebar, but only displayed the more prominent warning if you check the box, would that solve your issue?

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

If it always shows "(edited)" in the timebar, but only displayed the more prominent warning if you check the box, would that solve your issue?

I'm not the original poster, but, yeah, I think that would solve their issue, but it would also create a new one: it would always show the "edited" message, instead of being able to leave it out when just fixing a typo or so. In such cases, I think it's better to continue not to have an edited mark, as it is (in my opinion) unnecessary and may confuse people.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

9 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Yes, and that's basically the standard for how it works on other platforms. That way it's not intrusive but if anyone is explicitly wondering if a post has been edited they can just look and see rather than having to ask.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

16 hours ago, NinJake said:

I prefer the way it is. Why? Most of the time I'm on the forums I'm also doing other work or on mobile. If I accidentally misspell something I can go ahead and edit it. If anything is ever important enough to add a note that it was edit it's as simple as me typing...

Edit 1: Added first edit notes

Edit 2: its to it's

Now I don't think it's a bother for someone to know that I've edited its to it's. However if something has changed dramatically or entire statements have been retracted, that's something I'd show in an "Edit: abcd" post.

I'm not here to argue either, just stating my opinion that I enjoy the way it is.

100% agree. The only time I edit a post and don't mention the stuff I'm editing in with an EDIT at the bottom of my comment, it's when I'm correcting a minor spelling mistake or something.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

22 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

100% agree. The only time I edit a post and don't mention the stuff I'm editing in with an EDIT at the bottom of my comment, it's when I'm correcting a minor spelling mistake or something.

I guess indecisive people such as myself (who tend to add extra notes shortly afterwards just because they thought of something extra) don't read the suggestions forum then :)

I have certainly seen people other than myself editing and forgetting to note it.

pythonmegapixel

• 2 weeks later...

it's exactly one of the small things that often create dissention "on other platforms"  for no good reason... I edit my posts a lot, usually because of typos or because the windows jumped back before I actually hit post (that happens a lot btw) and I'd hate seeing "edited" on most of my posts like I would have changed my opinion or something when I really didn't...

And also whenever I do an edit that's significant I'll note this.

I also don't believe this is often used do deceive, as mods still can see the edits... afaik.

I vote *no change*  *change is bad* therefore.  😑

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 9/21/2020 at 7:42 PM, pythonmegapixel said:

umm, you can just put "edited" before the thing you're editing, that also often makes more sense than an ambiguous "edited" on top or bottom of the post where you have no idea *why* someone edited something.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity