We fixed Windows 10 - Microsoft will HATE this!

19 hours ago, thewelshbrummie said:

...which, if that system is in any way connected to the Internet or to any device that connects to the Internet, makes you no better than all of the anti-vaxers out there. Avoiding vaccines is no dfferent to running an Internet connected computer that is unsupported (especially one that isn't fully patched), running an OS that has gone 8 months since support ended and your selfishness in doing so risks other computers connected to the Internet from possible infection. You're doing the equivalent of going into a grocery store without a facemask and arguing that you havre the right to do so despite any local rules that say otherwise.

Please calm down. Computer security is not the same thing as threatening other people's lives and health. You are making a logical fallacy. There are also ways to secure software that is out of service, and I dont think you realize how "heard immunity" (for lack of a better term) actually works from a cyber security standpoint.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

Pro Gamer Tip: If you set wlan autoconfig to automatic in services.msc as an administrator you can get wifi working.

Also, the new default wallpaper sorta looks like Linus.

Could it be!!.PNG

I have committed numerous war crimes in Nazi Germany.

On 9/5/2020 at 2:37 PM, TetraSky said:

The fact that it removes Windows Activation and uses a "generic key" for the install (as seen in the customization option of it), doesn't that mean it's technically pirated?

Why would someone run Windows unactivated if they can just use this and get all the customization they want without the MS stuff they wouldn't want ON anyway ?

(yes he does talk about it at the end of the video... But it doesn't change that they offer a generic key to activate it, regardless of what their EU rule/law or whatever it was they claim on their website somehow is allowing them to do this... Most of LTT's audience is in the US so it doesn't protect them in the least.)

The thing about this that really makes me never want to touch it is that they COMPLETELY disable Windows Updates.

Because running a system that literally cannot be patched is a great idea.

I personally use Windows Decrapifier (the 19xx version, which still works in 2004) - you can remove all the Store Apps if you want, but I typically just disable telemetry settings and clear the Start Menu and leave the rest alone. We use this at work pretty frequently.

And the legalities of it aren't questionable:

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/4378-windows-10-decrapifier-18xx-19xx

And it's all done via PowerShell, so you can look through the script line by line and see what it does. This works on vanilla builds (ideally you want to do this right after install but before initial setup - boot into SysPrep - you can do it on existing installs, but it will not affect the currently used profile (or any existing profiles) so if you do this on an existing install, you have to create a new user after to take full effect).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned (I skipped the last 2 pages of reading), but why is this even allowed to be discussed on the forum? I thought this place has a strict no-piracy policy, and I'm pretty sure distributing any software with its activation mechanisms disabled is piracy. The only loophole to that logic is if the activation servers to said software have been taken down, and in this case they most certainly have not...

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

10 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned (I skipped the last 2 pages of reading), but why is this even allowed to be discussed on the forum? I thought this place has a strict no-piracy policy, and I'm pretty sure distributing any software with its activation mechanisms disabled is piracy. The only loophole to that logic is if the activation servers to said software have been taken down, and in this case they most certainly have not...

The software is no longer available. You have to do it yourself.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

The policy is broken down as follows:

Piracy, as a general non-specific topic of discussion is allowed. Examples include:

1. Discussing Piracy as a general topic

2. Discussing the impact of piracy on various industries

3. Discussing the ethical/moral implications of piracy

4. Discussing piracy related news

What is not allowed is:

1. Linking to pirated content

2. Encouraging people to pirate content

3. Explaining how to pirate or crack content

etc

And keep in mind, these rules are specifically for the LTT Forums (not for the YouTube channel), because the forums are legally liable to US and Canadian law, and they can be served takedown requests, etc, for links to pirated content. They basically impose this rule as a precaution against possible legal action, which is obviously a headache they don't want.

The LTT YouTube video linked is, well... questionable in that regard. It depends on whether the video actively encourages you to download the ISO, and whether it includes a link to the ISO (either directly or indirectly). I suspect the latter did happen.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Actualy I am looking for OS which do not destroy FPS in CSGO... this is standard with W10. Each update "bye bye 10fps less". I am using Linux to play CS with more FPS... what a pathetic time for gaming. To be honest also WoW is going better on Linux as on Windows. I have no idea whats happening with that OS right now. Last 2 years its worse and worse. Are there anyone with same experience and got a solution? 😆

11 minutes ago, Presttige said:

Actualy I am looking for OS which do not destroy FPS in CSGO... this is standard with W10. Each update "bye bye 10fps less". I am using Linux to play CS with more FPS... what a pathetic time for gaming. To be honest also WoW is going better on Linux as on Windows. I have no idea whats happening with that OS right now. Last 2 years its worse and worse. Are there anyone with same experience and got a solution? 😆

Backup all important data, then wipe the boot drive, then reinstall. How long has it been since you reinstalled windows last?

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Backup all important data, then wipe the boot drive, then reinstall. How long has it been since you reinstalled windows last?

I did it when something went wrong with gaming, basically it is just CSGO (i think that, Microsoft is mad because Valve didn't want to sell steam to them 😆). But still, in past this solution helped. Wipe whole boot drive. After new installation it was great and FPS were back. Nevertheless it works with earlier versions of windows. Big updates such as October 2018 or April 2019 again November 2019 (maybe the years are +-1 but still you got the point...). Now with all updates, latest USB - bootable version of W10 definitely doesn't work any more. Many many forums with many many solutions how to, I would not to say "increase" because it is just as much as you should receive from your HW build. Just fix that low fps... for comparison and real numbers

Same map, same count of players, same situation

1. Windows 10: 190-290 FPS (I know its too much, but gamers can feel that differences)

2. Linux (PopOS 20.04 LTS): 290 - 450+ FPS

How this is possible on same machine?

5 minutes ago, Presttige said:

I did it when something went wrong with gaming, basically it is just CSGO (i think that, Microsoft is mad because Valve didn't want to sell steam to them 😆). But still, in past this solution helped. Wipe whole boot drive. After new installation it was great and FPS were back. Nevertheless it works with earlier versions of windows. Big updates such as October 2018 or April 2019 again November 2019 (maybe the years are +-1 but still you got the point...). Now with all updates, latest USB - bootable version of W10 definitely doesn't work any more. Many many forums with many many solutions how to, I would not to say "increase" because it is just as much as you should receive from your HW build. Just fix that low fps... for comparison and real numbers

Same map, same count of players, same situation

1. Windows 10: 190-290 FPS (I know its too much, but gamers can feel that differences)

2. Linux (PopOS 20.04 LTS): 290 - 450+ FPS

How this is possible on same machine?

Windows bloatware ______________________________

Linux bloatware       _

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Windows bloatware ______________________________

Linux bloatware       _

Just to add one more thing which I realized in W10:

Windows (Gaming mode active) bloatware ____________________________________________________________

Windows bloatware                                     ______________________________

Linux bloatware                                           _

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

What is not allowed is:

1. Linking to pirated content

2. Encouraging people to pirate content

3. Explaining how to pirate or crack content

I'm pretty sure they nailed all 3 of these line items. Not to mention, if I linked to YouTube video showing where and how to download and install a Microsoft office activator, it'd be moderator-nuked very quickly. Seems to be a double standard to me. I guess click-bait trumps all other cards?

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

On 9/6/2020 at 12:22 AM, Ashley xD said:

so this just bricks Windows to the point that

• most modern games won't run
  • search is completely dead
  • updating is insanely complicated
  • you lose access to uwp apps
  • etc etc

why not use Linux then?

- Dont need or play games

- Always preferred using other Search Apps

- THIS could/ should be worked on as a Community Open Source thing on Git etc so that if not MONTLY, then Quarterly or Bi annual patches + Sanitizing Scripts can serve all those who want this or something similar

- Hate UWP apps

- Etc dont care about. 

On 9/8/2020 at 10:34 PM, Kid.Lazer said:

There is NO PIRACY. Its an unlicensed, unactivated EVAL version that is MINIMIZED / RECTIFIED - License and Activation is upto the user. They DO NOT PROVIDE IT. 

1 hour ago, xinsight said:

There is NO PIRACY. Its an unlicensed, unactivated EVAL version that is MINIMIZED / RECTIFIED - License and Activation is upto the user. They DO NOT PROVIDE IT. 

You don't actually need to capitalise every other word. It just serves to make your post irritating to read.

As has been mentioned before, Win10 AME actually removes the system that restricts the software in its unactivated state, thereby bypassing activation. How is that leaving activation up to the user?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:40 AM, xinsight said:

There is NO PIRACY. Its an unlicensed, unactivated EVAL version that is MINIMIZED / RECTIFIED - License and Activation is up to the user. They DO NOT PROVIDE IT. 

By that logic, cracked .exe's for games or other programs are also not piracy. They simply remove the activation mechanism and leave it up to the user to verify that they have acquired it legally. But wait! I can't distribute cracked programs because that's, bad? Hmm...

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

11 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

By that logic, cracked .exe's for games or other programs are also not piracy. They simply remove the activation mechanism and leave it up to the user to verify that they have acquired it legally. But wait! I can't distribute cracked programs because that's, bad? Hmm...

Not to mention that the user cannot activate. It's literally been stripped from the system. That's piracy, through and through.

People cannot compare this to simply leaving a vanilla Windows 10 system inactivated. It's simply not comparable.

How well does this run as a VM ?
I use a standard cloned windows 10 VM all the time for temp system access at work and allocating 4GB of RAM to each vm for RDP, chrome and a small application is extreamly overkill but anything less stutters and lags too much for it to be useful.

4 hours ago, AceScottie said:

How well does this run as a VM ?
I use a standard cloned windows 10 VM all the time for temp system access at work and allocating 4GB of RAM to each vm for RDP, chrome and a small application is extreamly overkill but anything less stutters and lags too much for it to be useful.

What a coincidence, it stutters and runs terrible on my laptop that only has 4GB of RAM, and like 1.2 is used by the onboard graphics.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On 9/5/2020 at 8:27 PM, Phoned_ said:

the only thing i don't like about macOS is how it's not that customizable. (at least from my experience)

Yes, but I don't need customization in macOS, because it looks very good.

I completely posted this in the wrong thread (started in this one and then followed the link to another thread regarding Ameliorated ceasing operations and then lost my place and posted there instead). Either way, it's relevant to both threads so I hope no-one minds if I cross/double-post. I did write a a fair bit after all... 😰

I don't have much to add to this that hasn't probably already been said, just that: If you think Microsoft is willing to collect data (spying or not, anonymous or not) what the hell do you think a bunch of guys in their bedrooms are going to do, should a nefarious actor offer them something in return for data? I suggest anyone that thinks Microsoft, who are legislated and governed on so many levels that it must be painful for them to even exist, is less trustworthy than some random on the internet... you should probably read the news more often. And I don't mean THE news, I mean find reliable tech news from several sources as well as opinions from those immersed in it and inform your own position. In short: think again.

Personally, I love this sort of stuff and it was fascinating to know more. It's super hard to find out about this kind of stuff as Google, as much as Microsoft, work pretty hard to bury it and surface some other... stuff. I'm grateful to the video for bringing it to light.

I'm also grateful it drew enough attention to get shut down. I don't care who you are and what your reasons, if you aren't running this in a VM that is not in any way connected to the rest of your network and personal computing, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BE RUNNING IT AT ALL. Leave it for the people that know what they're doing, as well as understanding that there are ways for you to do all of this yourself. Some of those ways are even automated, so you just have to tick boxes or run scripts. Scripts and software that are open-source and vetted.

On top of that, if it gets enough attention (which by this point it truly has over the years) Microsoft will have to respond, no matter how delayed/belated. I hope that means, in the future, that we'll get a version of Windows like that which the Xbox runs on. A minimal, lean form of Windows that can (and really already should) sit alongside the Enterprise, Server and enthusiast (Pro) editions. Windows Home Basic should mean just that, and there's no reason there can't be a "Gamer Edition", it would make for superb marketing. It highlights just another way that Microsoft are and always have been aloof and distant from the actual users and the community. I'd personally call them dangerously out of touch, after their courting of Tik Tok. If I was a shareholder, I'd be selling up or extremely vexed at the very least. But that's exactly why I'm not into shares, too much politics and ethics to get filthy rich 🤣

Instead, I'm just going to leave some links here for people and projects that already do all of this and more and deserve the recognition, most of which you can vet and execute yourself. These are some of the most useful or up-to-date things I've found in my "messing about". Some I can't recommend; Blackbird, Tron, WPD, W10 Privacy are all great but some do irreversible things if you aren't careful, others counter-intuitively lock settings behind Group Policy leaving you to go through the process of undoing it before you can make simple changes via the usual Windows channels. Some things are less well proven (Timer Tool and Empty Standby List) and others I could no longer live without (Autohotkey, QTTabBar, RightClicker, CompatibilityManager).

Anyway, here's a link list with everything I've found over the years. One day I'd like to write all these up together myself in a guide and/or make an app that allows you to do everything, safely (in a way that can be rolled back with one-click) and securely obviously, but most of all easily. One day... TM.

I call this LOU'S List

(I don't actually know anybody named Lou but it stands for "List of Useful 5H17 List"):

https://linkslist.app/oJ0lUjU

On 9/12/2020 at 12:28 PM, chobotnice said:

Yes, but I don't need customization in macOS, because it looks very good.

Is it possible for the user to find and turn off data that is sent to Apple for diagnosis on macOS? Could you please let me know how to do that?

7 hours ago, thoryash said:

Is it possible for the user to find and turn off data that is sent to Apple for diagnosis on macOS? Could you please let me know how to do that?

Apple devices are generally pretty configurable when it comes to Telemetry and privacy options. See here for some info:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-configure-os-x-to-protect-your-privacy-1716352334

Some people mentioned other ways of removing components from Windows using scripts.

I took a look on YouTube and there is a YouTuber Chris Titus Tech that goes through making a walkthrough using his own PowerShell scripts (forks of Sycnex or Farag2 I think). https://christitus.com/debloat-windows-10-2020/

I also found a fork of Chris's scripts. It breaks down all the options into a GUI interface where you can select from. This tool looks customizable and settings can be shared.  

From reading all info on this forum, there are many YouTubers commenting on PowerShell Debloat scripts like JayzTwoCents and LowSpecGamer and others. I need to watch them all to see their experiences with Debloat scripts. 

I want to try out Decrapifier next.

Since we dont have the Windows Store anymore, what are we going to do if we need an App out of it like iCloudDrive ? Cant find the .exe anywhere to download it manually. Is it even possible to install ?