Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cha0s

Mobo for I7-10700k suggestions

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey! I'm looking to upgrade my FX-8300 to the new I7-10700k and i'm very excited. I'd love if you guys could recommend me a good mid range z490 motherboard for the I7. I haven't done any overclocking in the past, but i'm looking to build a PC capable of doing 2k gaming so will probably overclock in the future, if necessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

budget? 

and if you're just gaming, go with the 10600k, performs similarly in games because they don't scale up to 8 cores. 


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

budget? 

and if you're just gaming, go with the 10600k, performs similarly in games because they don't scale up to 8 cores. 

Around 250$

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cha0s said:

Around 250$

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $159.99 @ B&H
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $159.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 05:30 EDT-0400  
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $189.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $189.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 05:31 EDT-0400  
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $199.99 @ Best Buy
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $199.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 05:31 EDT-0400  
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $169.99 @ Best Buy
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $169.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 05:32 EDT-0400  

all of these will easily handle a 10700k.


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $159.99 @ B&H
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $159.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 05:30 EDT-0400  
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $189.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $189.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 05:31 EDT-0400  
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $199.99 @ Best Buy
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $199.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 05:31 EDT-0400  
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $169.99 @ Best Buy
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $169.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-15 05:32 EDT-0400  

all of these will easily handle a 10700k.

I was interested in the Tomahawk since it's cheaper in my country than any others but I'm wondering if there's problems with overclocking/upgrading on it to the 11th generations if needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cha0s said:

but I'm wondering if there's problems with overclocking/upgrading on it to the 11th generations if needed.

we don't know how power hungry 11th gen will be. 

but the tomahawk uses  60a  SPS and will handle any comet lake cpu currently.

the z490 vision g is also decent, but that board is as expensive as the tomahawk and is worse in terms of vrm.


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Cha0s said:

Around 250$

Z490 Gaming Edge WIFI or Z490 Vision G, they're around $200.

There's nothing that makes much sense at $250. If you want to go higher-end than these two, there's the Z490 Unify and Strix Z490-E, but those are closer to $300.

 

Out of the two, I'd personally get the Gaming Edge, because of its slightly stronger VRMs and better VRM heatsinks, though the Vision G has more USB ports in the rear, Intel 2.5G LAN instead of Realtek and slightly better onboard audio.

Either should handle a 10700K no problem btw, it's not like the heatsinks or especially the VRM on the Vision G are bad or anything.

 

11 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

but the tomahawk uses  60a  SPS and will handle any comet lake cpu currently.

55A DrMOS for the Tomahawk I think. It's the Gaming Edge and Gaming Carbon that are on smart 60As.

I don't know why MSI did this, considering the B550 Tomahawk/Gaming Edge are both on 60s, and the Gaming Carbon is even stronger, AND AM4 CHIPS DON'T EVEN NEED THAT MUCH CURRENT...


Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3000MHz CL15 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13" (i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe)

Peripherals: Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Z490 Gaming Edge WIFI or Z490 Vision G, they're around $200.

There's nothing that makes much sense at $250. If you want to go higher-end than these two, there's the Z490 Unify and Strix Z490-E, but those are closer to $300.

 

Out of the two, I'd personally get the Gaming Edge, because of its slightly stronger VRMs and better VRM heatsinks, though the Vision G has more USB ports in the rear, Intel 2.5G LAN instead of Realtek and slightly better onboard audio.

Either should handle a 10700K no problem btw, it's not like the heatsinks or especially the VRM on the Vision G are bad or anything.

 

55A DrMOS for the Tomahawk I think. It's the Gaming Edge and Gaming Carbon that are on smart 60As.

I don't know why MSI did this, considering the B550 Tomahawk/Gaming Edge are both on 60s, and the Gaming Carbon is even stronger, AND AM4 CHIPS DON'T EVEN NEED THAT MUCH CURRENT...

I think i'll probably stick to the z490 Gaming Edge since it also has WIFI and I'm looking for a long term investment, although i'm not really sure how big the difference is between it and the Tomahawk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cha0s said:

I think i'll probably stick to the z490 Gaming Edge since it also has WIFI and I'm looking for a long term investment, although i'm not really sure how big the difference is between it and the Tomahawk.

It's not a groundbreaking difference, but it's still something.

Considering there's usually very little between the Tomahawk and Gaming Edge in terms of price, I think it'd be worth going for the GE.


Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3000MHz CL15 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13" (i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe)

Peripherals: Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

55A DrMOS for the Tomahawk I think

Ah they're Dr and 55a. Ah then my bad. 

Though at least afaik in the real world 60 and 55a stages have relatively similar current capabilities.

But yes my bad lol. 


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cha0s said:

I was interested in the Tomahawk since it's cheaper in my country than any others but I'm wondering if there's problems with overclocking/upgrading on it to the 11th generations if needed.

11th gen intel wont be compatible with z490 mobos. 
 

Id go tomahawk. Or Asus Tuf gaming is a possibility. Strix E  or msi Unify if u want to go a little more than 250. Im going off US prices tho. No idea what things cost elsewhere. 


CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua D15S, RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Strix 1070ti, PSU: Corsair CXM 750 CASE: Corsair 450D Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, maizenblue said:

11th gen intel wont be compatible with z490 mobos. 

where did you get that from exactly?


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

where did you get that from exactly?

I just did some research on it and apparently they may be compatible. I had heard on here and other places that they wouldnt be due to Intel completely revamping their architecture to accommodate a 10nm production process. So I stand corrected.

 

 


CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua D15S, RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Strix 1070ti, PSU: Corsair CXM 750 CASE: Corsair 450D Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I decided and ordered the MSI Gaming Edge after all, thank you everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×