Am I becoming a reactionary? (trigger warnings in games)

Andreas Lilja
On 8/12/2020 at 1:32 PM, Andreas Lilja said:

I think it was a reasonable compromise. I can recall seeing spider-monsters in games as early as Ultima Underworld, and it was always the "suddenly seeing the damn thing" was worse than actually being able to kill it.

The less it looks like an actual spider the less it trips out people. So like this monster in FFXIV https://www.google.com/search?q=Grafflas , looks spider-ish but not quite full on spider. Where as there are like a dozen other "giant spider" monsters in the game, they all look significantly different from each other. 

As far as "what other accessibility issues" can be addressed, Trypophobia is probably another one that should be addressed this way.

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

You ever ride passenger in a car? Or take city transport? Same thing, yet no one flips shit about driving somewhere, despite the fact they're far safer in an airplane.

(from the internet)

So a fear of flying is 100% irrational.

It's not the probability of being in a crash that concerns me, it's that a car crash involves far less energy and is more survivable than a plane crash. Looking at the statistics in the way you have shown, doesn't really accurately show the issue, as all you are showing is the likelihood of a crash occurring. 

Never mind that I'm in control of my vehicle, but I have zero control over that plane. 

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

People afraid of flying aren't triggered by video games AFAIK.

We're talking about virtual spiders here.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

7 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

It's not the probability of being in a crash that concerns me, it's that a car crash involves far less energy and is more survivable than a plane crash. Looking at the statistics in the way you have shown, doesn't really accurately show the issue, as all you are showing is the likelihood of a crash occurring. 

Never mind that I'm in control of my vehicle, but I have zero control over that plane. 

Oh, okay.

And when you're driving passenger, no, you don't have control of the vehicle either. And it's not like a deer jumping in front of your car is something you can just "avoid." So yeah, fear of flying is irrational. You also completely ignored everything I said. What I liked specifically said you're far more likely to DIE in a car than a plane, not more likely to crash. I also asked if you ride passenger or take public transit and then you said you drive your own vehicle.

7 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

People afraid of flying aren't triggered by video games AFAIK.

We're talking about virtual spiders here.

It's making a point about irrational fears, but go on YouTube and find some videos of people doing tightrope walking in VR and get back to me.

If you want to bring it back to how arachnophobia is irrational, it seems like the body count incurred by spiders is basically zero.

#Muricaparrotgang

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

As far as "what other accessibility issues" can be addressed, Trypophobia is probably another one that should be addressed this way.

Why? What would that even look like?

#Muricaparrotgang

7 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Why? What would that even look like?

Trypophobia is basically a fear (or being incredibly digusted) by images that have many holes in it. For years there was one of those crappy outbrain/taboola running garbage ads that probably unnerved more people than necessary and hence reason enough to start blocking ads on sites running taboola by default.

In games this tends to show up when looking at the eyes of insects, sponges, coral, various parasites in corpses, stacks of pipes, various textures that have too much contrast and sometimes UI features that are are arranged as clusters of round buttons.