Poilishing CPU & heat sink a bad idea?

Just throwing this out there as an observation...  On one of my older rigs (a Dell XPS 720) running a Intel Core Extreme Q8650, I decided to polish the top of the CPU and the heat sink to a shine thinking it would help with heat transfer. I think I have discovered this to be a mistake in doing so. A couple of days later I removed the heat sink due to higher than normal CPU temps and noticed that the thermal paste was barely evident on the top center most portion of the CPU and mostly pushed out to the edges. My theory is now that the two surfaces are slick as glass, they now lack surfaces capable of adhesion. The thermal paste basically slides off the two surfaces when compressed. I'm thinking of going back and ruffing the  two surfaces back up with some very fine grit emery cloth to give the thermal paste something to "grip". Any thoughts?  (BTW: Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste)

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Yep. You've pretty much called it. The whole point of the thermal paste is to fill in the microscopic gaps, which does add the effect of adhesion. However, it's odd that you saw the temp increase. Theoretically, at least, if you could get the two surfaces perfectly smooth, at a microscopic level, you would not actually need thermal paste, because every nanometer would be in contact with the heat sink. If there's still imperfections, then the thermal paste should serve to fill them, no matter how fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Did you take off so much material that the mounting pressure becomes insufficient?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

21 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

the thermal paste was barely evident on the top center most portion of the CPU and mostly pushed out to the edges

If you sanded inconsistently you may have created high and low spots, which would leave spots without thermal paste. It's also possible you sanded too much material as Moonzy said, but I think that would require taking off quite a bit of material.

Some pictures would really......

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

If you sanded inconsistently you may have created high and low spots, which would leave spots without thermal paste. It's also possible you sanded too much material as Moonzy said, but I think that would require taking off quite a bit of material.

I didn't sand, just polished with a paste like one would use to polish aluminum surfaces.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

Did you take off so much material that the mounting pressure becomes insufficient?

I didn't sand, just polished with a paste like one would use to polish aluminum surfaces.