Retro Case Flashback: Thermaltake Xaser III

Arethusa

SVET KOMPJUTERA - TEST DRIVE - ThermalTake Xaser IIIAnyone remember these things??? Built like a tank and so large you can park a jet inside. I've had mine for years and finally upgraded to something more modern.

I found this review from 2003:

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/457/thermaltake_xaser_iii_super_tower_case_review/index.html

Some cool features:

• 7 80mm fans
  • can fit 12 hard drives
  • temperature and fan control expansion
  • The front panel has a lock and key!
  • can fit a server ATX board.

Cons:

• USB 2.0
  • VERY HEAVY, solid thick steel supports and panels all around
  • large pci-e cards get in the way of the side fans
  • no back panel (cable management was not big in 2003)

Might make a cool project if somebody were to 'modernize' this case. Has anyone else owned one of these cases, and has there been any such projects recently?

Linus regularly refers to this as the cliché of early 2000 looks 😁

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Linus regularly refers to this as the cliché of early 2000 looks 😁

I would totally donate mine to LTT so they could make a early 2000s sleeper build. Too bad shipping would cost a fortune 😁

That case would be 12 year old me's dream case, and would make current me cringe at the thought of having to look at it on a desk (or the floor, given the size). Are the crappy early 2000's digital photos making it look worse than it is?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Tt MX Armor is a nice case too.. I've seen this Xaser in store at the time but never liked the look of the front with that huge X.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

• 1 month later...

I just got one of these at a yard sale for 2 bucks with some older parts inside. It doesn't have the key, but thankfully it was unlocked, although it would be nice to have the key lol

• 5 months later...

I have been using this PC case since 2003.

Ive been thinking about upgrading since I really can't do any cable management with it. 

Not a case for the modern age, that's for sure.

On 8/9/2020 at 11:12 AM, Arethusa said:

SVET KOMPJUTERA - TEST DRIVE - ThermalTake Xaser IIIAnyone remember these things??? Built like a tank and so large you can park a jet inside. I've had mine for years and finally upgraded to something more modern.

I found this review from 2003:

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/457/thermaltake_xaser_iii_super_tower_case_review/index.html

Some cool features:

• 7 80mm fans
  • can fit 12 hard drives
  • temperature and fan control expansion
  • The front panel has a lock and key!
  • can fit a server ATX board.

Cons:

• USB 2.0
  • VERY HEAVY, solid thick steel supports and panels all around
  • large pci-e cards get in the way of the side fans
  • no back panel (cable management was not big in 2003)

Might make a cool project if somebody were to 'modernize' this case. Has anyone else owned one of these cases, and has there been any such projects recently?

i had the aluminum one. lightest case at the time. the stupid fire led thing made nose so i got rid of it. there no behind the mb tray or vary little at lest with the one i had and i had to cut a hole.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Ha its the xaser iii! This case was so fugly lol. I think i had a voodoo 3 back then and i made a huge upgrade to gainward geforce 5700 golden sample. Yeah, i remember this ugly case. A friend of mine had like 10k to burn, and he wanted to do a custom build using this. I thought it was hideous but my case was a gateway 2000 so lol. I was in no position to assert my pc aesthetic insights. Yup. The good ol days of napster and limewire. 

• CPU
    9900KS @ 5.0 avx offset 0/ cache 4.7/ @1.33v
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
    8gb x2 G.skill ddr 4 3600 (OCed to 4000 17-19-19-39 @1.4v)
  • GPU
    Asus Strix OC RTX 3080 10GB  
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
    1tb Samsung SSD + 2x (512gb Samsung) SSD
  • PSU
    Seasonic GM 650 650Watt Gold (semi-modular)
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 LUX MX RED/ Microsoft Designer Keyboard Bluetooth
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound
    Audioengine A2+/ Audioengine d1 dac/ B&O h6

• 9 months later...

Still using this case since release due to its size and weight if all components put together. Question is does it support liquid coolers? XDD

22 minutes ago, coff3ninja said:

Still using this case since release due to its size and weight if all components put together. Question is does it support liquid coolers? XDD

i dont think so cant remember the fan setup but its not good. its probably one in front, one in back, and one on side depend on witch case you got that it. dont think it has anything on top,bottom. but it was an $100 aluminum case. also has no back so no place to hide cables, its an old case...

has a cheap 4 fan 3pin manual fan rpm control in front, had a door over the 5.25 bay, feet,

front is blocked off mosty so not ideal for cooling. top psu mount.

i guess you could mount a rad on the back out side the case or on top... but you can do that with any case...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

• 4 weeks later...

Still using mine!

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, ASRock X570 Steel Legend, 32gb corsair, bequiet! DR TF2.

Looking to add 120mm intake fan to side panel.

20220125_025454.jpg