Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So im looking at getting an Ryzen 7 3800XT or a Ryzen 9 3900X, i mainly game but will do a little bit of streaming too! I will also be going for a Asus ROG motherboard as i have always had these and prefer them!

 

Whats the main differences between the two types of motherboards and what ones do you recommend? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

if you are only gaming and streaming, the 3700x will do the job just fine.

 

to answer your question, the B550 should be enough for your use case

 

also, have you considered waiting for zen 3? they are just a couple of months away for release.

Edited by Oswin

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go with B550 to avoid the fan, but I'd also go with a 3700x as the difference between that and the 3800XT is pretty minimal.

Though, if you're building an entire system, it's smarter to wait.


Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JordanHopkins97 said:

Tbh i am willing to wait a couple of month and see whats out! I guess ill wait then! 

remember to quote or mention so that we may get notified of you reply

 

wise decision mate.


G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

main difference between x570 and b550 is that the chipset on x570 provides gen 4 lanes, while b550 provides gen 3, but on b550 the lanes that are connected to the cpu are gen 4 anyways.  if you don't need the extra gen 4 lanes, b550 is just as good. 

what boards are you looking at exactly? the b550 e and the x570 e are overpriced and do nothing special. 

as for b550. the tomahawk and the mortar and the strix f and the aorus pro and the a pro and the steel legend are all good. 

for x570, the tomahawk and the tuf are decent and so is the x570- p but that does lack some features. 

10 hours ago, JordanHopkins97 said:

Ryzen 7 3800XT or a Ryzen 9 3900X,

dont get the xt chips, either the 3700x or the 3900x, and if your gpu has nvec, (so a 1650 super and better), just get a 3600 which will perform similarly  in games anyways. 


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're just gaming, go for an i5-10600K or a 3700X. The 3800XT shouldn't even exist and the 3900X won't provide any benefit with its extra 4 cores over the 3700X.

Streaming should ideally be handled by your GPU, if you've got a Turing based GPU (1650 Super and up).

 

B550 does everything that X570 does, but with a lack of chipset PCIe 4.0 lanes, meaning that if you plan on throwing in three PCIe 4.0 SSDs, X570 would be the way to go. Whether you or most people actually do that is another story.

 

If you're just now picking parts for a future build, in a couple of months we should be getting both new CPUs (Zen 3 from AMD) as well as new GPUs (Ampere from Nvidia and RDNA2 from AMD), so keep that in mind.


Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F |G.Skill Trident Z Neo (2x16GB, 3200MHz CL14) | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13" (i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe)

Peripherals: Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Oswin said:

remember to quote or mention so that we may get notified of you reply

 

wise decision mate.

 

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

main difference between x570 and b550 is that the chipset on x570 provides gen 4 lanes, while b550 provides gen 3, but on b550 the lanes that are connected to the cpu are gen 4 anyways.  if you don't need the extra gen 4 lanes, b550 is just as good. 

what boards are you looking at exactly? the b550 e and the x570 e are overpriced and do nothing special. 

as for b550. the tomahawk and the mortar and the strix f and the aorus pro and the a pro and the steel legend are all good. 

for x570, the tomahawk and the tuf are decent and so is the x570- p but that does lack some features. 

dont get the xt chips, either the 3700x or the 3900x, and if your gpu has nvec, (so a 1650 super and better), just get a 3600 which will perform similarly  in gaming anyways. 

 

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

If you're just gaming, go for an i5-10600K or a 3700X. The 3800XT shouldn't even exist and the 3900X won't provide any benefit with its extra 4 cores over the 3700X.

Streaming should ideally be handled by your GPU, if you've got a Turing based GPU (1650 Super and up).

 

B550 does everything that X570 does, but with a lack of chipset PCIe 4.0 lanes, meaning that if you plan on throwing in three PCIe 4.0 SSDs, X570 would be the way to go. Whether you or most people actually do that is another story.

 

If you're just now picking parts for a future build, in a couple of months we should be getting both new CPUs (Zen 3 from AMD) as well as new GPUs (Ampere from Nvidia and RDNA2 from AMD), so keep that in mind.

I currently have a: 

i7 6700K OC to 4.7GHz 

1080 Strix

Asus Maximus Hero VIII 

Im also gaming at 144Hz 1440P. 
 

But yeah ill just wait, my build is enough atm! I just bought a new case ect and i dont have an ARGB header and no USB C port on the motherboard, hence why i wanted to upgrade lmao. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JordanHopkins97 said:

But yeah ill just wait, my build is enough atm!

yea definitely wait in this case. 

 

10 hours ago, JordanHopkins97 said:

hence why i wanted to upgrade lmao. 

if you don't need the upgrade, then wait. the build is more then fine for gaming i would say and even for light streaming. 


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

yea definitely wait in this case. 

 

if you don't need the upgrade, then wait. the build is more then fine for gaming i would say and even for light streaming. 

When im playing in 1440P 144hz my game lags if im watching a stream on one of the other two monitors and when i stream my games starts to stutter too. 

Its good for gaming, but multi tasking it isnt amazing! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×