RTX 2070 Super 80c gaming - Is my airflow ok?

daim2604

Hi.

My spec :

I5 8400 - AIO Tracer Darkflash DT-240

8GB DDR4

Zotac RTX 2070 Super Twin Fan

PC Case : AVF Gaming Freak M2 820G

Power Supply - Cooler Master GCM750

FAN

2 ID-Cooling PL-12025-R - INTAKE - BOTTOM - FULL SPEED

3 CASE FAN - INTAKE - FRONT - FULL SPEED

2 AIO Tracer Fan/1 Radiator TOP - INTAKE - PWM CONTROLLED

1 CASE FAN - EXHAUST  - BACK - FULL SPEED

Thats my setup currently and my graphic card temp is at around 78c - 83c when playing heavy game like Red Dead Redemption 2 or Deus Ex Mankind Divded.

Is this normal? is my airflow ok? My pc is in my living room and doesn't have aircond, just ceiling fan.

Cpu temp is ok since I''m using an AIO, usually under 50c.

Sorry, and thanks in advance.

37 minutes ago, daim2604 said:

Hi.

My spec :

8GB DDR4

FAN

Thats my setup currently and my graphic card temp is at around 78c - 83c when playing heavy game like Red Dead Redemption 2 or Deus Ex Mankind Divded.

Is this normal? is my airflow ok? My pc is in my living room and doesn't have aircond, just ceiling fan.

Its likely fine. That isn't dangerously hot. I would just check the clocks your getting in games with something like MSI afterburner, and as long as its boosting correctly, its fine. 

Just.... a note on the build. Some of these choices do not make the most sense. A 240 AIO on a 8400 CPU? 8 GB of RAM? Is that a single 8 GB stick which means its running in single channel..? Just some observations. But if that is a single stick, you really should allocate money to get another for dual channel, that will improve your FPS noticeably. Also, 8 GB really just isn't enough regardless if its single or dual channel. Not hating, just trying to maximize your FPS per dollar :)

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Its likely fine. That isn't dangerously hot. I would just check the clocks your getting in games with something like MSI afterburner, and as long as its boosting correctly, its fine. 

Just.... a note on the build. Some of these choices do not make the most sense. A 240 AIO on a 8400 CPU? 8 GB of RAM? Is that a single 8 GB stick which means its running in single channel..? Just some observations. But if that is a single stick, you really should allocate money to get another for dual channel, that will improve your FPS noticeably. Also, 8 GB really just isn't enough regardless if its single or dual channel. Not hating, just trying to maximize your FPS per dollar :)

Thanks for the advice sir.

For the AIO, hehe, I just bought it for the aesthetic. 

But, I do plan on upgrading my board and proc but still saving money for it.

As for the ram, yes, it is a single stick of 8GB RAM.

I used to have dual channel, but the other ram died recently. My pc won't turn on with it installed, so I just take it out for now. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll focus on adding another stick of ram then for now.

Thanks alot for the advice sir! 

2 minutes ago, daim2604 said:

Thanks for the advice sir.

For the AIO, hehe, I just bought it for the aesthetic. 

But, I do plan on upgrading my board and proc but still saving money for it.

As for the ram, yes, it is a single stick of 8GB RAM.

I used to have dual channel, but the other ram died recently. My pc won't turn on with it installed, so I just take it out for now. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll focus on adding another stick of ram then for now.

Thanks alot for the advice sir! 

The RAM will be under warranty. If its bad (confirm its not the mobo by trying the other stick in the slot the current stick is in) they will replace it. Basically all RAM has lifetime warranty. Seeing as it may up your FPS by 20% or more.... I would contact whoever the manufacturer is and get that replaced :)

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

14 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

The RAM will be under warranty. If its bad (confirm its not the mobo by trying the other stick in the slot the current stick is in) they will replace it. Basically all RAM has lifetime warranty. Seeing as it may up your FPS by 20% or more.... I would contact whoever the manufacturer is and get that replaced :)

Oh, dang, I didn't know about that. I'll give that a try.

I did try swapping my current working ram in the other slot and it works fine.

I'll try contacting Kingston then. Thanks alot sir! I really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, daim2604 said:

Hi.

My spec :

8GB DDR4

FAN

your temps are fine and you GPU also ramps up and down according to temp. the only thing i am wondering is i noticed you mentioned 6 fans as intake with 1 exhaust.

you will have positive pressure and alot of air escaping out of gaps but not optimal, if thats the case. I would suspect a typo and the AIO is exhausting through the top? if thats the case then everything is good, and you can always change the fan speed for GPU if you want it cooler.

To answer the question in your thread's title

Is my airflow ok?

No. The case barely has any intake space at the front panel, meaning that the front fans will not have enough fresh air to push into the case, hence the 80C gpu temp
I'm assuming that your cpu is releatively cool since you use an aio to cool it.
Here are some images of the case:
spacer.png1501065432_tixung.jpg.55c17db1ce804dfe2cd63bf9edfc6b98.jpg

(the 2nd pic is really low res due to the og image went missing on my source)
As you can see from both images, the only intake space at the front are the gap at the bottom and the 1cm gap between the glass front and the case

Edited by ProBottler
punctuations

Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream
thank you :D 

13 minutes ago, Ajukrezi said:

your temps are fine and you GPU also ramps up and down according to temp. the only thing i am wondering is i noticed you mentioned 6 fans as intake with 1 exhaust.

you will have positive pressure and alot of air escaping out of gaps but not optimal, if thats the case. I would suspect a typo and the AIO is exhausting through the top? if thats the case then everything is good, and you can always change the fan speed for GPU if you want it cooler.

er, It is actually 8 intake with 1 exhaust through the back. The AIO is also an intake from the top, it is a pull setup.

10 minutes ago, ProBottler said:

No. The case barely has any intake space at the front panel, meaning that the front fans will not have enough fresh air to push into the case, hence the 80C gpu temp
Here are some image of the case:

Sorry, for not posting my own image of the case.

Yeah, I just got this AIO 2 days ago. Before, my cpu temp is around 70-75 when gaming.

Oh. so it is case problem then. So the front fans are only for aesthetic then. Is there any thing I can do to help the airflow? Sadly, putting 2 fans underneath the graphic card as an intake blowing full speed doesn't help.

18 minutes ago, daim2604 said:

Is there any thing I can do to help the airflow?

You can try remove the front panel altogether as a band-aid solution. I strongly recommend you buying a new case

18 minutes ago, daim2604 said:

Sadly, putting 2 fans underneath the graphic card as an intake blowing full speed doesn't help.

As there is no space for fresh, cool, unwarmed airflow to be pushed by those 2 fans
At best they just shoved the already warm air inside the case into the gpu

Edited by ProBottler
punctuations, again

Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream

46 minutes ago, ProBottler said:

You can try remove the front panel altogether as a band-aid solution. I strongly recommend you buying a new case

As there is no space for fresh, cool, unwarmed airflow to be pushed by those 2 fans
At best they just shoved the already warm air inside the case into the gpu

I see. Thanks a lot sir. I'll save up some money for a new case too then. 

Easy test to see if case airflow is really bad - pull the side panel and point a fan of some sort into the case. If temps drop a lot, you have bad case flow.

Also you said no air conditioning. What are your ambient temps?

On 8/3/2020 at 6:12 AM, Demonic Donut said:

Easy test to see if case airflow is really bad - pull the side panel and point a fan of some sort into the case. If temps drop a lot, you have bad case flow.

Also you said no air conditioning. What are your ambient temps?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry late though, I'll give it a try next saturday as I'm a bit busy till friday. As for ambient temps, sorry, I don't really know, I have never measured it.

On 7/30/2020 at 11:11 PM, daim2604 said:

Hi.

My spec :

8GB DDR4

FAN

You have too much intake which is causing the heat to swirl in the case.

If you are going to go this route then you should do something like this.

Front- intake

Bottom- intake

Rear- exhauat

Top - exhaust.

The goal is to flow the air towards the back and up. With front,top, bottom all pushing air in the heat from your card cannot escape and it is just creating a hot pocket of air.

On 7/31/2020 at 2:03 AM, ProBottler said:

Here are some images of the case:
spacer.png1501065432_tixung.jpg.55c17db1ce804dfe2cd63bf9edfc6b98.jpg

(the 2nd pic is really low res due to the og image went missing on my source)
As you can see from both images, the only intake space at the front are the gap at the bottom and the 1cm gap between the glass front and the case

From what I can tell that gap between glass and fans is close to a half inch... it is also 360 degree. So while air flow might be a littlr restricted those fans are getting plenty of air.

I have seen MUCH worse designs that were heavily restricted yet the fans still moved enough air. This case isn't bad at all. Anything that is running tempered glass on the front will have a similar issue.

41 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

So while air flow might be a littlr restricted those fans are getting plenty of air.

I doubt that tbh spacer.png

theres a clearer look at the gap between the glass and the front panel
Heres the thermals of a case with the same philosophy (Walmart Gaming PC DTW) 
spacer.pngspacer.png

A kid with a dream

2 hours ago, ProBottler said:

I doubt that tbh spacer.png

theres a clearer look at the gap between the glass and the front panel
Heres the thermals of a case with the same philosophy (Walmart Gaming PC DTW) 
spacer.pngspacer.png

That view 71 in there is ALSO using the same philosophy as well as a few others. So again that doesn't mean it will not get enough air unless the gap is REALLY narrow. This isn't like some where it only can pull a little from the direct top or bottom. It has stand offs it mounts  to that allow air to flow from 360 degrees and it looks to be cloe to a 3/8ths inch of space

7 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

That view 71 in there is ALSO using the same philosophy as well as a few others. So again that doesn't mean it will not get enough air unless the gap is REALLY narrow. This isn't like some where it only can pull a little from the direct top or bottom. It has stand offs it mounts  to that allow air to flow from 360 degrees and it looks to be cloe to a 3/8ths inch of space

Hmm, then i suspect the fans on the OP's case is pretty horrendous

A kid with a dream

1 minute ago, ProBottler said:

Hmm, then i suspect the fans on the OP's case is pretty horrendous

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3071-thermaltake-view-71-case-review-vs-570x
heres the review for the view 71 btw
gamersnexus noted that there is a 1cm gap between the glass and the chassis

A kid with a dream

After looking back at the case's pic for a while, I can confidently confirmed that the gap on OP's case is just as narrow as the Wallmart one, so my opinion still stay the same, I still think that the front panel gap is too narrow for all 3 fans to have sufficient air intakes

A kid with a dream

Hi. sorry for the late reply.

I've changed my fan setup.

I've swapped front fan to custom fan blowing full speed.

3 Intake from the front (custom fan, full blast)

2 intake from the top (custom fan)

2 exhaust from bottom (case fan)

1 exhaust from the back (case  fan)

I did my test on Horizon Zero Dawn.

It does help my temperature, I used to get around 80c playing games on Ultra.

Now, my temp is around 65c-74c.

But, taking the front glass panel off works too. Now, my temp rarely go 70c.

It just play around 60c-70c, sometimes it even goes down to 55c.

Spent 2 days trying different kind of setup, and I'm satisfied with this.

I am thinking of getting a magnetic dust filter and just slap it infront panel and take off the glass panel forever.

Thanks alot guys, for the help and opinion.. I really appreciate it! 

And really sorry for the trouble and for my english, english is not my native language.