Stock Asus Thermal Paste Quality

If your ROG laptop runs hot and thermal throttles, it's quite possible that it is because the stock thermal paste.

I have got a Strix Scar III G531GU and had CPU temps over 95C of course with thermal throttling, so I have decided to void my warranty and repaste the machine.

The chosen paste was Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. 

After repasting, i got temps around 20C lower, so on a combined stress test with the CPU and GPU pinned to 100% it was around 75C on both.

Just a heads up so that you know what are you dealing with and how much performance can be left on the table. In some games now I have 20-30fps more while the laptop is quieter.

I have attached 2 images of the stock thermal paste (wich was more like thermal concrete) application and hardness.

20200718_194512.thumb.jpg.d4a4c7745ed382890757767ad8191b8a.jpg

20200718_200236.thumb.jpg.e51c211b60d05fc0c08a825cc3691849.jpg

my old laptop (bought in 2011) ran the cpu at 70c idle, after 5 years (when i was computer literate), i cracked it open and apparently the insulation layer around the die (mine was orange, but yours is black) was covering part of the die, making it having a bad contact

makes me kinda avoid asus laptops in general

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

This is not new...a long time issue in Asus gaming laptops.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I just don't understand that why do they cut corners here? I mean if you spend 1000€/$/whatever+ on a laptop why can't they spend the extra buck to use good paste...

1 hour ago, Saguaro said:

I just don't understand that why do they cut corners here? I mean if you spend 1000€/$/whatever+ on a laptop why can't they spend the extra buck to use good paste...

Every laptop did the same. Just that some brands use really crap paste. High performance paste doesn't last that long FYI.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128