Help! High-pitched whine and then crash

Aereldor
Go to solution Solved by Aereldor,

It was the PSU. Getting a Grey CX450/450M for $40 tomorrow.

On 7/13/2020 at 3:20 AM, Aereldor said:

It was the PSU. Getting a Grey CX450/450M for $40 tomorrow.

I was gonna say - try booting without the HDD with your old PSU. Might work? That's how my old shittastic unit failed. I couldn't plug in anything that used more power than the CPU, iGPU, and a laptop HDD used on whatever rail that old machine was stressing. Second I swapped the laptop HDD out for a 3.5", the thing wouldn't boot properly. Crash at boot, sometimes a BSOD.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I was gonna say - try booting without the HDD with your old PSU. Might work? That's how my old shittastic unit failed. I couldn't plug in anything that used more power than the CPU, iGPU, and a laptop HDD used on whatever rail that old machine was stressing. Second I swapped the laptop HDD out for a 3.5", the thing wouldn't boot properly. Crash at boot, sometimes a BSOD.

It didn't, but booting it with a dangerously cheap Thermaltake Litepower PSU actually got the job done. Turns out that after 6 years of hard work the cheapest Seasonic PSU ever - the ECO-430 - failed, 3 years past its warranty, and its final act was to ensure that it didn't take any of my other components down with it. Warrior's death haha.

I got a CX 450 for around $40, honestly really surprised at how absurdly good the grey CX units are for the price