My €1500-1800 build

glock7

Budget (including currency): €1500-1800

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk, Horizon Zero Dawn, RDR2.  Would like to play games on either RTX or 120hz if possible (1080p). Most likely will only be used for gaming. 

Other details

Hey. I've been looking to build a new pc, as my current gpus VRAM is lacking (780 gtx 2gb) and the audio output of the  back panel of my motherboard is broken. At first I wanted to wait for the next 3000 rtx series before upgrading, but I don't really want to wait much longer (have been waiting a few months) and its not certain when those cards are released and what theyre going to be priced at. I've been looking around the forums and checking loads of youtube videos to find decent parts that fit together, but I'm honestly quite confused as to whether these parts fit together well. So I'd like to hear your opinion. If I can improve somewhere I'd love to know. I honestly don't know much about PC parts, so any part can be replaced with another one if you think that would be good. The only thing I'm certain on is that I'd like to buy the RTX 2070 Super. I'd also like the option to have 3 HDDs in this pc + 2 SSDs (I already own the HDDs).

I'm especially not certain about whether I'd like to buy this CPU or not. I've heard that AMD is much better nowadays for its price, but I'm not sure which one would be better than this intel one. Even though I hardly video edit anymore (more like never), I still like the idea of being able to pick up that hobby again if I wanted to. If the price is right I might consider going for a CPU thats only good for gaming and has no video render advantages (say 100-200 euros cheaper cpu alternative).

Im currently upgrading from:

- GPU: gtx 780

- CPU: i7-4790k

- Motherboard:  msi gaming 5

- Storage: 12 TB of 'regular' HDDs, most of which will be switched to my new build. 

This is the list I've come up with.

CPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8PtcDx

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($409.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX S40G RGB 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($265.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($549.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.92 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($121.09 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Corsair CO-8950006 67.43 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($4.99 @ Corsair) 
Case Fan: Corsair CO-8950006 67.43 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($4.99 @ Corsair) 
Total: $1936.91

The total build price is  1.825,51 in my country.

I'd love to hear your opinions and advice.

Thanks for reading.

Can you post the link to the list instead of the embedding code. Should be listed right next to it.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

Can you post the link to the list instead of the embedding code. Should be listed right next to it.

Like this? Or should I choose the "BB" option? First time using pcpartpicker

2 minutes ago, glock7 said:

Like this? Or should I choose the "BB" option? First time using pcpartpicker

Edit: just saw what you mean, much better

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 minute ago, tank234 said:

Here are some good builds for 1080p gaming and video editing if you want. As Well as streaming if you are into that 

https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/6FBPcq

Thanks! I'll have a look. I'm not into streaming and video editing isn't a top priority. I'd even be willing to cut costs there.

Just now, glock7 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R3Bw4n

I edited the post. Thats what I meant with "like this". Sorry ^^

Ahh, just that. Sorry bout that, should have looked at the original post.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

3 minutes ago, tank234 said:

well then to save you some more cash I would go with something like this 

https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/8dxpL2 

Thanks! What is the reason you went for different RAM and PSU? Is the RAM faster? 

8 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I would not recommend going the Intel route currently, as their processors really are not competitive in terms of price. By trying to hold onto that gaming crown, they are charging you $200 more (when you account for CPU and motherboard), for a few percentage points of better CPU performance. It's possible to take that $200 or so and put it into a better graphics card, which will have a much better effect on performance. To that effect, I've put together a slightly different parts list with many of the same components, with a different CPU, Motherboard, and cooler.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wRBs3t

EDIT: I did leave your massive 2tb NVME M.2 SSD in there, but it would be much better to simply buy a 1tb 970 Evo and put the extra money you save from CPU + board + cooler + not buying a $270 SSD into a 2080S, which will net you much better gaming performance.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll definitely consider going for the cheaper 1tb SSD and spending that extra money on the 2080S or saving it.

I think that I'll also go for the ryzen youve recommended.

3 minutes ago, glock7 said:

Thanks! What is the reason you went for different RAM and PSU? Is the RAM faster? 

yes imo that is the best ram for that cpu. The psu I don't think I changed 

Just now, glock7 said:

Thanks for your feedback! I'll definitely consider going for the cheaper 1tb SSD and spending that extra money on the 2080S or saving it.

10 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I would not recommend going the Intel route currently, as their processors really are not competitive in terms of price. By trying to hold onto that gaming crown, they are charging you $200 more (when you account for CPU and motherboard), for a few percentage points of better CPU performance. It's possible to take that $200 or so and put it into a better graphics card, which will have a much better effect on performance. To that effect, I've put together a slightly different parts list with many of the same components, with a different CPU, Motherboard, and cooler.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wRBs3t

EDIT: I did leave your massive 2tb NVME M.2 SSD in there, but it would be much better to simply buy a 1tb 970 Evo and put the extra money you save from CPU + board + cooler + not buying a $270 SSD into a 2080S, which will net you much better gaming performance.

I was also wondering if my CPU is still good enough to last for a while, or if it will bottleneck a 2070s or 2080s too much. I heard new AMD cpus are on the horizon and I'm wondering if its better to upgrade the CPU a little bit later.

Just now, tank234 said:

yes imo that is the best ram for that cpu. The psu I don't think I changed 

Okay thanks ^^

Thank you for the advice guys. I still have a one question.

Is it worth it to upgrade from my i7-4790k to the ryzen 5 3600? On UserBenchmark they seem comparable in performance. I wouldnt mind hanging onto this cpu a little bit longer and wait for the new ryzen cpus, if it doesn't bottleneck a 2070s or 2080s too much. I dont even know if its compatible with a msi b450 tomahack or to a comparable board.

1 minute ago, glock7 said:

UserBenchmark

Don’t trust Userbenchmark.

That said, yeah I would wait for ryzen 4000 it will be coming out shortly (I hope) and your current cpu will be good enough for now. You might also have a bigger budget then for cpu.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Firstly, going with a 10700K and then sacrificing on the GPU really makes little to no sense, since a 10600K offers the same gaming performance as the i7.

Secondly, I'd strongly advise you to wait a little longer if you're interested in high-end parts, as new GPUs and CPUs are coming later this year, and you'll likely be getting quite a good bit more for your money then.

If you were going to buy now, I'd look for something along these lines:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/zDc3YH

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€293.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler  (€74.94 @ Azerty) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  (€231.00 @ Azerty) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (€114.95 @ Azerty) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€146.85 @ Megekko) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  (€751.95 @ Azerty) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€143.39 @ Paradigit) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€103.00 @ Azerty) 
Total: €1860.03

To make the €1800 mark you'd probably have to instead go with a Ryzen 3600. In that case, I'd suggest something like a B550 Aorus Pro, B550 Tomahawk, B550 Gaming Edge WIFI or B550-F for the motherboard.

If I had to comment on the parts list you've put together, I'd have to say that the RAM is painfully slow (3600 CL20 is in the realm of 2400/2666MHz kits in terms of latency), the motherboard's really not great, the Crucial P1 is not a great choice for an OS drive and RGB SSDs should be avoided.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Well, the new AMD CPUs will probably be out in a few months / weeks, we don't really know. A 3600 is okay for a 2080S, but if you have the budget to spare I would recommend a 3700x for the extra two cores. Keep in mind with the other persons list the board has only 1 M.2 slot, and from your original list you wanted to install multiple. Also you would be using the stock cooler, so it would be a bit noisy. Also, with your budget you really could get like a 2080S, which is much better than a 5700XT. This is the list that I would recommend:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2d9hzN

Changed out your storage for a single 1TB nice and fast M.2 drive, along with the 2080S. It's about $1650 USD, which is about 1500 Euros. Glad I could beat your budget, but parts are sometimes more expensive over there.

Thanks for the list. I was planning to use the Noctua NH-d15 cpu cooler. Its still not clear to me if its possible to keep my current CPU to bridge the gap until the new AMD processors arrive. I don't really understand if the motherboard you linked is compatible with the i7-4790k and if it would be too much of a bottleneck.

if it is a bottleneck/not compatible, I'll go for either the processor you linked or the 3700x.

Much thanks, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: People have already answered this question. So nevermind :)

Thanks a lot guys. I think I'll keep my cpu for now and wait for the new ryzen series.

1 minute ago, glock7 said:

Thanks for the list. I was planning to use the Noctua NH-d15 cpu cooler. Its still not clear to me if its possible to keep my current CPU to bridge the gap until the new AMD processors arrive. I don't really understand if the motherboard you linked is compatible with the i7-4790k and if it would be too much of a bottleneck.

if it is a bottleneck/not compatible, I'll go for either the processor you linked or the 3700x.

Much thanks, I really appreciate it.

The motherboards recommended to you are amd boards and not compatible with the i7-4790k.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Firstly, going with a 10700K and then sacrificing on the GPU really makes little to no sense, since a 10600K offers the same gaming performance as the i7.

Secondly, I'd strongly advise you to wait a little longer if you're interested in high-end parts, as new GPUs and CPUs are coming later this year, and you'll likely be getting quite a good bit more for your money then.

If you were going to buy now, I'd look for something along these lines:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/zDc3YH

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€293.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler  (€74.94 @ Azerty) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  (€231.00 @ Azerty) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (€114.95 @ Azerty) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€146.85 @ Megekko) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  (€751.95 @ Azerty) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€143.39 @ Paradigit) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€103.00 @ Azerty) 
Total: €1860.03

To make the €1800 mark you'd probably have to instead go with a Ryzen 3600. In that case, I'd suggest something like a B550 Aorus Pro, B550 Tomahawk, B550 Gaming Edge WIFI or B550-F for the motherboard.

If I had to comment on the parts list you've put together, I'd have to say that the RAM is painfully slow (3600 CL20 is in the realm of 2400/2666MHz kits in terms of latency), the motherboard's really not great, the Crucial P1 is not a great choice for an OS drive and RGB SSDs should be avoided.

Thank you for your reply. Ive really considered waiting a bit longer, but I don't think I'll be able to afford a RTX 3080 and I heard t he 3070 will arrive later.

I still am considering to wait for the new AMD processors. 

I really dislike RGB, the only reason I chose that SSD is because it was the cheapest 2tb one I could find. I won't purchase it now though :) I'll also use one of the recommended ssds in this thread

2 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

The motherboards recommended to you are amd boards and not compatible with the i7-4790k.

Thats good to know. So it wont really be possible to use this CPU for a while longer in my new build, to wait for new CPUS. I'll probably go for the ryzen 5 3600 then and upgrade that in a few years.

Just now, glock7 said:

Thats good to know. So it wont really be possible to use this CPU for a while longer in my new build, to wait for new CPUS. I'll probably go for the ryzen 5 3600 then and upgrade that in a few years.

You can always use the motherboard you currently are using with it. Then swap both cpu and motherboard when ryzen 4000 comes out.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

You can always use the motherboard you currently are using with it. Then swap both cpu and motherboard when ryzen 4000 comes out.

So this current motherboard (MSI GAMING Z97 GAMING 5) is not too bad for a 2070s or 2080s? Or even compatible?

Problem with it is that the audio on the backpanel is broken and I can only have sound if I plug my headphones into my second monitor. Which has to be turned on always now, even though I dont use it much. Thats why Id like to upgrade mobo asap. But if the new ryzen series is close, I guess I can wait.

10 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Hi again. Hey, did you see the list I gave him? Very interesting, it's about $200 cheaper. Also, I don't need to make this any more clear.

The only reason why you would need a B550 motherboard is if you are interested in PCIe 4.0 which is not applicable for anything outside workstation or server use at the moment. Just buy a Tomahawk Max for Ryzen 4th gen (Desktop) support.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2d9hzN

Your build's also in USD by the way, not euros. Recommending a B450 board for Ryzen 4000 upgradability and 3600MHz CL20 RAM is plain foolish.

I'm not gonna waste any more time trying to explain to you again the same things because talking to a wall is more productive, but if you think misguiding people who don't know as much about PC hardware (not that you seem to know really a whole lot considering you're recommending 3600 CL20 memory in a non-budget build, among other things, I mean, in your first reply you recommended a B450-F which is hilarious) is fun then you might want to re-evaluate yourself, and that's all I'm going to say.

Just now, glock7 said:

So this current motherboard (MSI GAMING Z97 GAMING 5) is not too bad for a 2070s or 2080s? Or even compatible?

Any motherboard with PCIe slots on it will be compatible with those cards, since PCIe is backwards compatible.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC