Has anyone tested the Deeper Connect?

jetlagalex

Has anyone tested the Deeper Connect? Does anyone have an opinion on it? Is it as good as they claim? Does it do anything in the background that we don't know? Is it wort it? Has anyone tested one yet? Sorry for the 20 questions 😂 It just keeps popping up everywhere in adverts and I'm just curious. Here are some links I've found about them:

https://deeper.network/#/

https://deepernetwork.io

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/deeper-connect-mini-decentralized-cybersecurity/x/13358962#/

sounds like your typical indiegogo money grab.

sounds like an embedded computer running TOR in a fancy enclosure... i expect this to be a disaster.

EDIT: i just went to their website, the "add to cart" button is above the description of what exactly it is you're buying... moneygrab++ right there.

EDIT EDIT: here's some more dirt.. in case someone comes to look for it:

Most of our team members used to hold important positions in Google, IBM, Alibaba, etc. Our technical core team members are from Palo Alto, Fortinet and other companies who are world leaders on cybersecurity.

is the quote right above the list of logo's.. the logos make it look like they are affiliated with Google, Palo Alto, etc.. while in fact.. they arent.

'important positions' is an extremely vague statement too. what exactly defines an important position, and what exactly about that validates this product? a google engineer could sell an empty box as the next big cure for cancer, that doesnt mean it's any good.

Also: given 'most of your team members' have jobs in other places... would that imply your amazing product is of such small volume that it cant sustain employee wages?

they made the '2008 free software' mistake of making a comparison chart, where their product checks all the boxes, and none of the others does.

both their websites combined contain less information about the product than the indiegogo campaign, the website is basicly just a marketing youtube video and a 'buy now' button.. there arent even any real product images, it's just renders.

their "AtomOS" has zero google hits.. because "Atomos" is a brand of cameras.

here's another fun quote:

Say goodbye and keep track of all those annoying ads. Having the functionality of a pi-hole, Deeper Connect is capable of blocking website ads.

perhaps.. because it is a $200 pi-hole hooking into TOR?

the indiegogo campaign has 5 "deeper connect user" reviews (yes, that is the names of the reviewers...) ranging 4.5 to 5 stars, hitting all the 'fake review' triggers in their explanations.

"as featured on" referring to 4 websites.. but no links to the articles.. investigation time:

- yahoo finance: a 4 paragraph article that contains no actual matter.

- bloomberg: THE SAME EXACT ARTICLE

- reuters: couldnt find the article

- nasdaq: should i even say it.. SAME FREAKING ARTICLE..

they somehow forgot to mention ACN Newswire, who wrote the article they quoted 3 times.

Buzzword bingo:

- blockchain

- decentralized

- IoT

- Plug and play

- private

Typo bingo:

- Intel quad cores cpu

Claims:

- "AtomOS" is the first lock-free networking OS... aside from the douzens of linux solutions?

- provides a "secure DPN".. which is a term that from the looks of things they invented.

- safeguards personal and business data (fail to explain how)

- privacy portection (see above)

- 7 layers of internet traffic monitoring (i didnt know monitoring was an onion)

- blocks ads, malwares, trackers (pi-hole?)

- protects your IoT devices (in the same way your home router's firewall does.. they forget to mention)

- plug & play with zero configuration (so not password protected, then?)

- enterprise-class securty operating system (yeah.. ask the colleagues at palo alto.. and then ask why they fired you for saying this.)

- intel quad cores processor and 2G memory (its a firewall.. what do i care?)

- claims that VPNs slow your connection down, but the distributed networking in this box doesnt.. which is simply impossible with this type of networking.)

- users have control over their own data (but not over the data of whoever else is using their connection trough this system?)

- Democratic internet that empowers and protects users’ privacy. (WHAT does this even mean...)

- Censorship resistant. (see any VPN provider)

- High speed Internet connection without bottlenecks. (see 4 lines above)

- 'smart route' where you can.. CONFIGURE.. which sites go trough which country? (see line 8 )

- parental control

- traffic monitor

- bandwidth sharing (directly interferes with 'doesnt slow you down' statement)

- low energy consumption (fail to list power supply requirements.. guessing out of shame)

i could keep going.. but i think at this point.. its clear this is basicly a startup dumpsterfire.

Seems you're right. That's why I figure I ask and get someone else's opinion before diving in. Thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the interest and comments. Most of them are rooted in misunderstanding and made in haste.

Here's a live demo from an user perspective:

“sounds like an embedded computer running TOR in a fancy enclosure...” 

Deeper Network is unlike TOR in implementation and avoids a lot of TOR’s pitfalls. Deeper Network is based off of a truly decentralized implementation (public blockchain and a unique consensus algorithm); it is able to offer faster connection, more privacy and security.  The Deeper Connect Mini is a user friendly device designed with user experience in mind while abstracting away the implementation details.

“is the quote right above the list of logo's.. the logos make it look like they are affiliated with Google, Palo Alto, etc..“ 

The project is not just for the sake of crowdfunding a product on Indiegogo. The core team behind the Deeper Network is vested in the global blockchain ecosystem as a whole, with a clear roadmap ahead. Hence, some members of the team wish to remain anonymous at this point. The team will let the product and white paper speak for itself if there is any doubt in competency. 

“they made the '2008 free software' mistake of making a comparison chart, where their product checks all the boxes, and none of the others does.” 

This is how Deeper Network genuinely believes. There isn’t a solution out there quite like the Deeper Connect Mini. Sure, there are other similar blockchain projects (without a tangible product, or something that is pleasant to use). 

“both their websites combined contain less information about the product than the indiegogo campaign, the website is basicly just a marketing youtube video and a 'buy now' button.. there arent even any real product images, it's just renders.” 

A new website is in the works. (preliminary domain: deepernetwork.io)

“their "AtomOS" has zero google hits.. because "Atomos" is a brand of cameras.” 

AtomOS is a proprietary software. Deeper Network does not believe in security through obscurity, but we are a startup and AtomOS is one our unique competitive edge. We plan to open source it once we hit target adoption rate. 

“perhaps.. because it is a $200 pi-hole hooking into TOR?” 

Deeper Connect Mini offers ad blocking feature similar to pi-hole. Just because a smartphone has a calculator feature doesn’t make it just a calculator.

“the indiegogo campaign has 5 "deeper connect user" reviews (yes, that is the names of the reviewers...) ranging 4.5 to 5 stars, hitting all the 'fake review' triggers in their explanations.” 

It was originally intended to be a section that uses a review like format to convey usage benefits from the user’s perspective. They are not genuine reviews, and should not have been presented as such. 

“as featured on" referring to 4 websites.. but no links to the articles…”

Touche.

“Buzzword bingo:” 

It may seem like a lot of buzzwords because the intention was to make the concept of security and privacy approachable and accessible, not filling up the campaign with implementation details. The intention. There is the white paper for those who are interested in its technical implementation.

“AtomOS" is the first lock-free networking OS... aside from the douzens of linux solutions?”

The keyword is lock-free networking OS

“provides a "secure DPN".. which is a term that from the looks of things they invented…7 layers of internet traffic monitoring (i didnt know monitoring was an onion)…safeguards personal and business data (fail to explain how)..privacy portection (see above)”

Deeper Connect Mini is a Decentralized Private Network and a Layer 7 firewall

“users have control over their own data (but not over the data of whoever else is using their connection trough this system?)”

You are right on this one.

“plug & play with zero configuration (so not password protected, then?)”

Zero config and password protected. Functions out of the box but one can always change the default password like a router.

“'smart route' where you can.. CONFIGURE.. which sites go trough which country? (see line 8 )”

Smart routing in layman terms means it works out of the box with geo restricted sites around the world without the need to fiddle with server locations like in a traditional VPN

“bandwidth sharing (directly interferes with 'doesnt slow you down' statement)”

Only upstream is shared. Can be disabled by user.

“low energy consumption (fail to list power supply requirements.. guessing out of shame)”

single digit in watts

“i could keep going.. but i think at this point..” 

I’ll read the whitepaper

You guys have to be aware that there are a number of devices that made a number of claims that just didn't hold up.  You need to be very transparent and the only way to do this is to get these devices into the hands of well known and respected security and tech entities (the more the merrier).  Hiding behind the "it's not ready" yet is lame so don't go there.  If you are ready to take people's money you are ready for honest reviews of alpha/beta hardware/software.  All that means is that users can can see your progress from multiple trusted sources.  People are going to be very skeptical and the only way to get over that is to be transparent and get honest industry reviews.

• 1 year later...

Hi all

I waited 3 months for the delivery of my Deeper Connect Unit in the UK.

I have a popular Broadband Connection Via BT which we use for our wireless devices around the home.

Installing the device was my 1st problem, as the Cable Lead sent with the unit did not match the (Openreach MK4 Box) Broadband socket wiring. Then the BT Cable could not be connected correctly to the Deeper Connect outlet as also was not compatible. Hence i could never get a Signal.

The companies solution was to connect the deeper unit cable via to an ethernet outlet of the router then connect my once wireless Laptop via cable to the Deeper box.

Yes you heard right !! 

So I was now left with:

1 x Deeper Connect protected Laptop which was once Wireless but is now a Fixed/Trailing Device.

3 x spare Ethernet outlets still not linked to the Deeper device.

All my Wireless devices not linked to the deeper Device.

In other words only one item could be Protected with a trailing cable.

So for the UK this is not a good option unless Cabling is updated or adaptors are used.

( I will be contacting my Bank to work on my behalf to obtain a Rebate and would anyone in a similar situation to do the same )

6 hours ago, tony10000 said:

Hi all

I waited 3 months for the delivery of my Deeper Connect Unit in the UK.

I have a popular Broadband Connection Via BT which we use for our wireless devices around the home.

Installing the device was my 1st problem, as the Cable Lead sent with the unit did not match the (Openreach MK4 Box) Broadband socket wiring. Then the BT Cable could not be connected correctly to the Deeper Connect outlet as also was not compatible. Hence i could never get a Signal.

The companies solution was to connect the deeper unit cable via to an ethernet outlet of the router then connect my once wireless Laptop via cable to the Deeper box.

Yes you heard right !! 

So I was now left with:

1 x Deeper Connect protected Laptop which was once Wireless but is now a Fixed/Trailing Device.

3 x spare Ethernet outlets still not linked to the Deeper device.

All my Wireless devices not linked to the deeper Device.

In other words only one item could be Protected with a trailing cable.

So for the UK this is not a good option unless Cabling is updated or adaptors are used.

( I will be contacting my Bank to work on my behalf to obtain a Rebate and would anyone in a similar situation to do the same )

Thats because the device is suppose to be put between the router and the modem. You most likely have an Internet Gateway (Modem Router Combo). Thats why it didnt work. Because in places like the US you can have a separate modem and router. So in your case you would need to put your gateway in to bridge mode if the ISP supports that function. That will turn your box in to a modem only, then you just need to buy a router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 4 weeks later...

Found this forum by accident, but happy to share my experiences with the Deeper Connect Mini. I was an early backer of the project on IndieGogo and after waiting about 6 months I finally got my Mini. I strongly believed in the concept of a decentralized private network. Four months later I can only conclude the whole Deeper Connect is a disaster. There is potential but the whole thing is just not up to point for now.

To start with, there are frequent updates of the Atom OS firmware, but that does not mean the device gets anything close to stable. I connect to the internet using their DPN Full Route. This is supposed to obfuscate your IP address (whereas the DPN Smart Route does not, I get that). When starting up or rebooting, sure it does show as if I am in Singapore (where I am not located), but once the device times out (and you cannot control that yourself), when I login again it shows my real location. 

On the website you are told the device is basically plug-and-play, so basically you should not need to login, as everything works out of the box. Well, I bought this device in the first place because I value online privacy a lot. But I find myself logging in to the interface constantly to see whether all is functioning or not. 75% of the time my exact location is revealed.

On another forum I got a reaction from the Deeper Connect tech guys telling me to remember this a new project so frequent firmware updates are to be expected. Sure, but they don`t solve even the basic functionality until now.

Some regular websites are just not accessible when connected through the DPN. I am talking for example about a known eLearning website, but it is not just this one site, there are more. Their solution is to switch the active node or the chosen country back and forth to reset the tunnels. Plug-and-play?

Then there is the mining feature, to me this is of lesser importance than the security aspects of the Deeper Connect device. But in order to earn some of their DPR tokes there must be an active device behind the DPN at all times. In case you don`t want to leave your laptop running constantly (sleep mode is not active), you could add a second router or a switch. Well, I tried both of these suggestions, and it does not make any difference. My IP keeps getting revealed and I am not earning any DPR tokens at all. For the Deeper Connect techies, yes, my ETH and DPR wallets are registered and activated, plus my wallet is visible in Atom OS. Adding a second router also makes you want to cry, my download speed (measured to the same location) went from 94.8Mbps to 1.7Mbps (this is not a typo). Adding a switch did produce a decent download speed, fortunately.

I could continue for some more time, but I guess you get the picture. My conclusion is that the Deeper Connect Mini is a good ad blocker at best, all the other talk about privacy, 7-layer firewall and mining is hype and marketing. I hope they can get their issues sorted, rather sooner than later, but I have become rather skeptical.

Word of warning to anyone researching the Deeper Network products or DPR token. The team at Deeper Network has shown repeatedly that they're incapable of keeping their word. Operating with complete lack of respect for their consumers and investors.

The lies begin with users who purchased a connect device and were promised they would have unlimited use with no fees or other hidden costs. In my case it took almost 18 months to recieve my device after the crowd funding campaign ended. Only to discover not only did the unit do nothing that was promised. But, now a "newer" version was being marketed almost a year before my old unit would even arrive. Same thing that's currently happening between Mini and Pico model purchasers.

Queue the new DPR token and unessesary use of Ethereum. This move almost too obviously was seen as a means to raise the funds nessesary to complete the manufacturing of previously promised products. As Deeper Network was insolvent otherwise. How could I possibly know this? I participated in the DPR token Seed Round and for the first time in my 5 years of investing in blockchain startups. Deeper Network is officially the only project to ever to recieve funding and completely disregard prior SAFT agreements to steal investor funds. This was sold to the community as a "voluntary" revesting until centralized exchange listing. Nothing could be further from the truth. Not only were early participants refused access to their tokens and prior Vesting schedule. But now all addresses that participated had their DPR locked indefinitely by the Deeper Network team. So even tokens purchased from Uniswap were now locked if your address was on their list.

Deeper Network is just one falsified scenario after another and a complete scam in every sense of the word.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 7:27 AM, MrHarrilasagna said:

Word of warning to anyone researching the Deeper Network products or DPR token. The team at Deeper Network has shown repeatedly that they're incapable of keeping their word. Operating with complete lack of respect for their consumers and investors.

The lies begin with users who purchased a connect device and were promised they would have unlimited use with no fees or other hidden costs. In my case it took almost 18 months to recieve my device after the crowd funding campaign ended. Only to discover not only did the unit do nothing that was promised. But, now a "newer" version was being marketed almost a year before my old unit would even arrive. Same thing that's currently happening between Mini and Pico model purchasers.

Queue the new DPR token and unessesary use of Ethereum. This move almost too obviously was seen as a means to raise the funds nessesary to complete the manufacturing of previously promised products. As Deeper Network was insolvent otherwise. How could I possibly know this? I participated in the DPR token Seed Round and for the first time in my 5 years of investing in blockchain startups. Deeper Network is officially the only project to ever to recieve funding and completely disregard prior SAFT agreements to steal investor funds. This was sold to the community as a "voluntary" revesting until centralized exchange listing. Nothing could be further from the truth. Not only were early participants refused access to their tokens and prior Vesting schedule. But now all addresses that participated had their DPR locked indefinitely by the Deeper Network team. So even tokens purchased from Uniswap were now locked if your address was on their list.

Deeper Network is just one falsified scenario after another and a complete scam in every sense of the word.

Thanks for sharing your experience I was totally going to buy because my wife wants a VPN and being able to mine from it would totally be a bonus but lying and stopping people from selling their tokens is just unacceptable and I don't want any part of that.