Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
curiousgamer121

Using single stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I just built a new PC. Booted to windows installation USB and kept on getting BSOD. I removed both RAM modules and kept 1 in the first slot (according to motherboard manufacturer manual) and booted it and it went to Windows 10 setup. Nice. I removed it, inserted the other module and it kept on BSODing. They're going to be returned, but while that is going on, I still want to install all programs, drivers, games and play some games. Will I be heavily bottlenecked by a single stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, curiousgamer121 said:

Will I be heavily bottlenecked by a single stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM?

depends what youre doing and how much you care about ram speed vs capacity

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much no. If you're running an APU, it'll hurt your gaming performance, but that's it.


Unimatrix 3600 - Ryzen 5 3600 - GTX 1070 Founder's Edition - Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX - 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3466 - 1TB Western Digital Black SN750 M.2 NVMe - 500GB Toshiba XG5 NVMe - 1TB Inland Professional - 960GB SanDisk Ultra II - Seagate Barracuda 4TB - EVGA Supernova GM 650W - Cougar QBX - Deepcool Gammaxx C40

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, curiousgamer121 said:

I just built a new PC. Booted to windows installation USB and kept on getting BSOD. I removed both RAM modules and kept 1 in the first slot (according to motherboard manufacturer manual) and booted it and it went to Windows 10 setup. Nice. I removed it, inserted the other module and it kept on BSODing. They're going to be returned, but while that is going on, I still want to install all programs, drivers, games and play some games. Will I be heavily bottlenecked by a single stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM?

It's best for performance to run in dual channel, you may take a 10% hit depending on the workload, so I would aim to return that kit and get a new one as soon as you can.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, curiousgamer121 said:

Will I be heavily bottlenecked by a single stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM?

Bandwidth wise 

Well it's single channel , capacity wise 

It should be fine as a temporary thing if your a casual user 

But it depends on your workload.


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottlenecked? No.
Will you lose some performance? Yes.
Will you likely notice it outside of benchmarks? No.

 

In the future, you really need to give more details. What you'll be doing, what performance you need.
Oh, yeah. Most importantly, what parts you're actually using. They're not all the same, nor are they all affected in the same way.


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the last few years, I have been using my Ryzen 1500x system with a single 8GB DDR4 stick for everything from gaming to CAD - works without issues.

Yes, it is slower in certain tasks, No, you won't feel it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, curiousgamer121 said:

I just built a new PC. Booted to windows installation USB and kept on getting BSOD. I removed both RAM modules and kept 1 in the first slot (according to motherboard manufacturer manual) and booted it and it went to Windows 10 setup. Nice. I removed it, inserted the other module and it kept on BSODing. They're going to be returned, but while that is going on, I still want to install all programs, drivers, games and play some games. Will I be heavily bottlenecked by a single stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM?

not really you can survive just fine with 8 but if your doing video editing and game streaming then yes you can be quite bottlenecked 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, curiousgamer121 said:

Will I be heavily bottlenecked by a single stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM?

Heavily? No, not really, a bit yes. Anyway, new ram modules should not make a problem, you should return both (if kit) and get a new one.

 

17 minutes ago, komar said:

For the last few years, I have been using my Ryzen 1500x system with a single 8GB DDR4 stick for everything from gaming to CAD - works without issues.

Yes, it is slower in certain tasks, No, you won't feel it.

Yes, if you only have budget for 8gb, buy 1 stick, and add later on. You'll need 16gb eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, emosun said:

depends what youre doing and how much you care about ram speed vs capacity

 

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Pretty much no. If you're running an APU, it'll hurt your gaming performance, but that's it.

 

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Heavily? No, not really, a bit yes. Anyway, new ram modules should not make a problem, you should return both (if kit) and get a new one.

 

Yes, if you only have budget for 8gb, buy 1 stick, and add later on. You'll need 16gb eventually.

 

2 hours ago, MAXAMAL_FLAME said:

not really you can survive just fine with 8 but if your doing video editing and game streaming then yes you can be quite bottlenecked 

 

2 hours ago, komar said:

For the last few years, I have been using my Ryzen 1500x system with a single 8GB DDR4 stick for everything from gaming to CAD - works without issues.

Yes, it is slower in certain tasks, No, you won't feel it.

 

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Bottlenecked? No.
Will you lose some performance? Yes.
Will you likely notice it outside of benchmarks? No.

 

In the future, you really need to give more details. What you'll be doing, what performance you need.
Oh, yeah. Most importantly, what parts you're actually using. They're not all the same, nor are they all affected in the same way.

 

3 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Bandwidth wise 

Well it's single channel , capacity wise 

It should be fine as a temporary thing if your a casual user 

But it depends on your workload.

Thank you guys, I've installed programs, drivers, games etc. Will still be gaming on it until I get the new kit sent

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×