Motorola Moto G

LinusTech

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1eiyjLi

Amazon: http://georiot.co/1GCD

The Moto G isn't new, but I would argue it's one of the handful of most important cell phones on the market today!

Oh and if you're interested in the Danboard Power Bank from cheero, you can find that here :D

http://georiot.co/2PDq

I do enjoy watching these reviews of cheaper products, but as long as they are decent products like this one. But don't dare go and review another R7 240/250. Not everyone has piles of money to spend so I think videos like these can help expand the viewer base. also i like comparing the new phones to my iPhone 4.

Why is that battery pack like $80cdn?  

dat hair cut 

whats wrong with it?

Lol, the video repeats "I like to open this" at the beginning if you refresh the youtube page its really funny. Now its just cuts from "I like to open this" to "Yea I know". Im still getting a laugh, thank Linus and Youtube! 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

dat hair cut 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I definitely would have already bought the phone if it had LTE..

Twitch | Twitter | PC specs [on Twitch page]

Keep doing the phone reviews. I didn't know much about phones until you started to feature them.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

I do enjoy watching these reviews of cheaper products, but as long as they are decent products like this one. But don't dare go and review another R7 240/250. Not everyone has piles of money to spend so I think videos like these can help expand the viewer base. also i like comparing the new phones to my iPhone 4.

Why is that battery pack like $80cdn?  

whats wrong with it?

Lol, the video repeats "I like to open this" at the beginning if you refresh the youtube page its really funny. Now its just cuts from "I like to open this" to "Yea I know". Im still getting a laugh, thank Linus and Youtube! 

Ahhh I use georiot to regionalize my links so you'll be sent to the correct store for your region. If you look on Amazon.com it'll be $35

Ahhh I use georiot to regionalize my links so you'll be sent to the correct store for your region. If you look on Amazon.com it'll be $35

okay, I thought it was something like that but just why is it more than twice the price c'mon.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Meh. Great review and all but for that price i'd always rather get a used mid or high end phone. I even managed to get a used galaxy s4 (in good condition) for only 180$ off craigslist last week haha. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

How was the palm-ability of this phone? I am recommending this phone to my sister but best but doesn't have it so I haven't gotten to play with it yet :P

I know you have smaller hands and so does she.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Linus, you say that you can't dial by typing the name of the person, but they added that feature to Android 4.3.

In fairness, you need to enable the feature - it's not on by default.

[Source]

From the usb amp rating and port placement i think its very very similar to those usb boxes off ebay with 4 x 18650 li ion cells inside of them, the smaller one doesn't fit the 2x18650 Cell style it must be a lipo "sacky" type of cell, which just gets puffy if overcharged or over used/cycled :-P

The phone looks good too, a litte better camera and it would be pure and epice win even in europe, i can't say how many peoply buy the crappy huawei y200 just because it is 120€ to 80€ and a good replacement for their old phones :-((

for the review:

would have been nice to get the backside off in the video, and then show us the battery compartment (yes without the imei) and where the sim&microsd goes?

Thank you tho for dat thing!

To what level is multitasking possible on the Moto G? On my Xperia U I can do only one thing at a time and even that lags, and I want to have an LWP, Skype online in the background and on top of that just browse the internet (Chrome) or play some games. Is the hardware strong enough to do this without lag and stutter?

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

To what level is multitasking possible on the Moto G? On my Xperia U I can do only one thing at a time and even that lags, and I want to have an LWP, Skype online in the background and on top of that just browse the internet (Chrome) or play some games. Is the hardware strong enough to do this without lag and stutter?

It's stock android and Kitkat so it should be really great!

I have a Nexus 5 and I don't have any slowdowns with multitasking :D

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I have had the 8gb for a couple of months now and I love it. 

Granted I went from a galaxy gio which is an absolute piece of shit. 

Haven't noticed any slowdown so far even when multitasking, at least not noticeable for me.

Sturdy enough to be dropped on pavement a couple of times without any scratches whatsoever (whoops).

I find it quite easy in the hand, but I don't know about small hands. 

I am by no means a phone expert, but it has everything I want for the budget I wanted. 

I'm with Linus here and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to spend $400 on a phone.

I have to criticize the review in one little part.

You said "Hangouts still just plain sucks!"

You really shouldn't have said that.. You didn't even delivered a reasoning for that "argument".

You'll probably reply, that you can find more opinions on the software in other videos (Moto X, Nexus 5), but you need to consider the fact, that there are some people watching this video, without following you, who just want to hear a review about that phone. They don't want to search for another review of yours to find the reasoning behind your opinion on Hangouts.

I hope that one huge sentence is understandable, I'm not a native english speaker :)

I have to criticize the review in one little part.

You said "Hangouts still just plain sucks!"

You really shouldn't have said that.. You didn't even delivered a reasoning for that "argument".

You'll probably reply, that you can find more opinions on the software in other videos (Moto X, Nexus 5), but you need to consider the fact, that there are some people watching this video, without following you, who just want to hear a review about that phone. They don't want to search for another review of yours to find the reasoning behind your opinion on Hangouts.

I hope that one huge sentence is understandable, I'm not a native english speaker :)

Well a review by it's nature is an objective judgment of a product. So why does Linus have to tell you why he feels that way about hangouts? He could give you arguments on why he dislikes them but in the end it is still an opinion so why waste everyone's time talking about it. Plus this is a Moto-G review not hangout evaluation :P

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

As an owner of the Moto G I have to say it's one great phone. 

Meh. Great review and all but for that price i'd always rather get a used mid or high end phone. I even managed to get a used galaxy s4 (in good condition) for only 180$ off craigslist last week haha. 

Or that -> http://www.banggood.com/ZOPO-C2-5_0-Inch-32G-ROM-Android-4_2-MTK6589T-Smart-Phone-Black-p-89996.html it is excallent phone my buddy got it for 5 months now and it is rock solid

Awesome video Linus as always. I am more suited to high end phones so the s5 or nexus 5 would be my choice for future phone.

Also you forgot to add the annotations to for the sponsor at the end of the video (nope I missed it I'm blind)

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1eiyjLi

Amazon: http://georiot.co/1GCD

The Moto G isn't new, but I would argue it's one of the handful of most important cell phones on the market today!

Oh and if you're interested in the Danboard Power Bank from cheero, you can find that here :D

http://georiot.co/2PDq

Better late then never

Aselwyn1

. But don't dare go and review another R7 240/250. 

?, He said this is the reason why we don't do reviews of cheap products because of the simple fact 90% of them are shit.

so i got the 16gb version for christmas and i simply love it. so i come from the iphone 4 (got it from my father and selled it because i hated it. he got a htc one...)

to the sound bar. i personaly like it because i can use it with a case threw my pocket.

another 2 things that i think are important to mention is that otg is fully enabled after the last update and the sound qualtity when you use apps like poweramp is pretty good, compared to something like the onboard audio from my msi z87-g43. i dont want to talk about the audio quality of an iphone...

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I do like to see videos like this, but again only for worthwhile products.  While I personally prefer the high end phones for what I do, for my wife (or anyone else I might recommend it to) who just barely uses smartphone functionality, I would like to know what is a good low or mid-range phone that will just work, especially since I'm usually the one who will having to provide tech support.