Are mechanical keyboards supposed to feel mushy?

AutonomousRedux

Good evening, all. I just bought my first "mechanical" keyboard after years of membrane use. To be quite honest, I'm not very thrilled with it.

I bought a G915 with GL Tactile switches. I feel that they're...mushier? than the previous keyboard I used which was a K800 with a membrane. I was fully expecting them to feel different, but I don't know. It just feels weird. The K800 pressed down smooth and easy with a noticeable bump. The G9115 feels kind of like pressing down on a spring that hasn't been oiled in a while or is too stiff. I'm missing keystrokes because it feels like I activated the switch but in reality I just mushed the key. I dropped from 87 wpm to 59 in a test and it just doesn't feel quite right.

With that being said, would anybody be willing to validate what I'm saying or was my choice in keyboard incorrect? I was looking for an ultrathin, wireless, full-size mechanical keyboard with back lighting and the G915 ticked all my checkmarks.

14 minutes ago, AutonomousRedux said:

Good evening, all. I just bought my first "mechanical" keyboard after years of membrane use. To be quite honest, I'm not very thrilled with it.

I bought a G915 with GL Tactile switches. I feel that they're...mushier? than the previous keyboard I used which was a K800 with a membrane. I was fully expecting them to feel different, but I don't know. It just feels weird. The K800 pressed down smooth and easy with a noticeable bump. The G9115 feels kind of like pressing down on a spring that hasn't been oiled in a while or is too stiff. I'm missing keystrokes because it feels like I activated the switch but in reality I just mushed the key. I dropped from 87 wpm to 59 in a test and it just doesn't feel quite right.

With that being said, would anybody be willing to validate what I'm saying or was my choice in keyboard incorrect? I was looking for an ultrathin, wireless, full-size mechanical keyboard with back lighting and the G915 ticked all my checkmarks.

You bought it blind?  Like a whole keyboard through the mail?  Yep some are because some people like keyboards that way.  Others (apparently including you) don’t.  That’s why there are a bunch of different key types.  Try before you buy with mechanical keyboards.   You need to know what key caps you want.  It’s one major reason they’re changeable and replacable.  This one doesn’t surprise me.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I would give it a couple days before you write off the keyboard. Unfortunately, keyboard preference is a very personal thing. I myself tried switching from a Corsair Keyboard with MX Brown switches to a Razer with their Orange switches and I just couldn't get used to it and ended up switching back to another Corsair with brown switches. If you're really not into it within a week I would say return it because you're not satisfied and try another type of switch.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

If the switches are removable and it was the keyboard base that was what did it for you and nothing else did if your pockets are deep enough you can order a few keys of various types and swap them in till you find some you like and get a whole set of those.  Won’t be cheap.  @NotSoEpicMods might very well have the best solution.  Repetitive buy and return till you get keys you like.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

That depends on the key switch and keyboard you chose, and indeed not all mechanical key switches are supposed to have a clear bottom-out point. 

Logitech key switches seems to all be mushy for me, my Logitech keyboard has Cherry Blues so not a problem

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You bought it blind?  Like a whole keyboard through the mail?  Yep some are because some people like keyboards that way.  Others (apparently including you) don’t.  That’s why there are a bunch of different key types.  Try before you buy with mechanical keyboards.   You need to know what key caps you want.  It’s one major reason they’re changeable and replacable.  This one doesn’t surprise me.

The reason why I selected the tactiles was because I was hearing tactiles are basically clickies without the sound. And I figured clickies felt like linears with a bump so I thought it would be just like my old keyboard only better. Iounno, man.

From this vid:

9 minutes ago, AutonomousRedux said:

The reason why I selected the tactiles was because I was hearing tactiles are basically clickies without the sound. And I figured clickies felt like linears with a bump so I thought it would be just like my old keyboard only better. Iounno, man.

From this vid:

Oh it’s logical, it’s just that most times things that exist in the marketplace for a long time do it for a reason.  There are three types of LCD panel not one because each is best at a specific role. If they weren’t there would be only one type of LCD monitor available.  There are dozens of different types of key switches these days.  What sucks for you isn’t going to suck for someone else.  It’s the way of things.

Your WPM dropped because it's a different keyboard.

It will take a few days or weeks of practice to get faster as your hands adjust.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Essentially I'm looking for a clean, easy key press that doesn't feel muddled and has a tactile bump. Unfortunately, even if I wanted to go with a different switch, I can't find anything like the G915. I'm thinking about returning it for a new K800.

53 minutes ago, AutonomousRedux said:

Essentially I'm looking for a clean, easy key press that doesn't feel muddled and has a tactile bump. Unfortunately, even if I wanted to go with a different switch, I can't find anything like the G915. I'm thinking about returning it for a new K800.

If you are comfortable with soldering and like the G915's layout and stuff, you could replace the switches with kailh choc whites.  These are the same switches as in the "GX Clicky" model, logitech just rebrands them.  If you look at the force curves on logitech's website you'll notice that the tactility on the brown is far more stretched out than on the white, and that the top of the tactile bump is ~0.75mm before actuation, which i would assume is why they feel muddy and you are missing characters.

image.png.bb8c5fb6720412d14b4bd6e029c870bb.png       image.png.3dc7281c3505e0f3afaebe7d5041e3b0.png

Brown (tactile)                                                                          White (clicky)

(The vertical axis is force, the horizontal axis is how far the key is pressed; the first blue dot is the tactile point)

You can buy switches at https://novelkeys.xyz/products/kailh-low-profile-switches, they cost $0.60 per switch, so reswitching your board would cost ~$66-$72

If you just want to get a new keyboard instead of changing this one, I would recommend that you order one or multiple different switch testers to find a switch that suits how you like to type.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

14 hours ago, FezBoy said:

If you are comfortable with soldering and like the G915's layout and stuff, you could replace the switches with kailh choc whites.  These are the same switches as in the "GX Clicky" model, logitech just rebrands them.  If you look at the force curves on logitech's website you'll notice that the tactility on the brown is far more stretched out than on the white, and that the top of the tactile bump is ~0.75mm before actuation, which i would assume is why they feel muddy and you are missing characters.

image.png.bb8c5fb6720412d14b4bd6e029c870bb.png       image.png.3dc7281c3505e0f3afaebe7d5041e3b0.png

Brown (tactile)                                                                          White (clicky)

(The vertical axis is force, the horizontal axis is how far the key is pressed; the first blue dot is the tactile point)

You can buy switches at https://novelkeys.xyz/products/kailh-low-profile-switches, they cost $0.60 per switch, so reswitching your board would cost ~$66-$72

If you just want to get a new keyboard instead of changing this one, I would recommend that you order one or multiple different switch testers to find a switch that suits how you like to type.

I'll look in to that. I may just ask for a swap to get a GL Clicky version and see if that suits my tastes. Best Buy is pretty good about swaps last I checked. 

On 4/21/2020 at 10:44 PM, FezBoy said:

So, you were right. The clickies are waaaaay less mushy. They feel pretty damn great, if just a tad stiff. And loud. Other than that, I fucking love it. Thank you for the recommendation.

1 hour ago, AutonomousRedux said:

So, you were right. The clickies are waaaaay less mushy. They feel pretty damn great, if just a tad stiff. And loud. Other than that, I fucking love it. Thank you for the recommendation.

The stiffness will settle in a bit, keyboards have a break in period. Loudness not so much, but such are clicky switches.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

2 hours ago, AutonomousRedux said:

Np dude

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|