New Server

Over the years I seek to improve on my network setup.  This year, I am looking into a NAS and a PLEX Server.  I have a 25u Server Rack and only 5u is currently used, so I have plenty of rack space available.  I was looking into either an HP Proliant or a Dell PowerEdge.  The Server Rack is in my office, so I would prefer if it wasn't too loud, but a little noise is fine.  Would you recommend I get separate units for each or try to virtualize and use 1 unit for both?  I don't know much about virtualization since i'm only in high school.  I'd prefer if the budget was under $500 total for both.  For the NAS we would only be looking at about 5 users max, with maybe only 2 users active at the same time and for the PLEX Server we would be looking at 5-10 users active at once, with many idle devices that are connected, but not currently using it.  I have a Dell PowerConnect 5548 Switch so I have 2 10Gig SFP+ Ports available.  This would be my first Server or Servers ever, so I need some guidance on which way to go.  Also our PLEX Server's purpose would be so we can scan all our DVD's (to start), and then later down the road scan the blue-rays on.  The DVD's are the priority at the moment.  I would say we have about 200 total spread out across the families.  Recommendations on which drives to use would also be appreciated.  

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

A single server should do this fine. VMs really aren't that hard to learn how to use.

How much space do you need in the nas/plex server total?

Id get something like a r720, and put a few hdds in it and a hypervisor like proxmox.

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

A single server should do this fine. VMs really aren't that hard to learn how to use.

Id get something like a r720, and put a few hdds in it and a hypervisor like proxmox.

The NAS would be for PC Backups mostly only and some simple file sharing so maybe 4 Tb Max and For PLEX I'm not sure, maybe 8TB? How much space does 200 DVD's take up? I'm assuming a lot more space than i'm thinking.  What would you recommend as a backup for the PLEX Server?

16 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R5.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xdell+pow.TRS0&_nkw=dell+poweredge+r720&_sacat=0

So these? Should I be looking for any specific processor?

8 minutes ago, Chickenfans said:

Yea this is what id get. 

Look for 3.5 and 2.5 models, you want 3.5 for a nas as almost all large hdds are 3.5.

CPU wise, get the v2s if you can, lower power, and higher ipc, and just overall better.

Depends on your plex needs, but the 8 core chips are pretty cheap these days.

But for running multiple vms, id focus on ram more than cpu, something like 32gb is a ok starting point.

43 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea this is what id get. 

Look for 3.5 and 2.5 models, you want 3.5 for a nas as almost all large hdds are 3.5.

CPU wise, get the v2s if you can, lower power, and higher ipc, and just overall better.

Depends on your plex needs, but the 8 core chips are pretty cheap these days.

But for running multiple vms, id focus on ram more than cpu, something like 32gb is a ok starting point.

I've found a lot of dual-CPU machines with two 6-core processors in them. Would that work? It seems like you would be recommending more like 64GB of RAM for sake of future expansion.

3 minutes ago, Chickenfans said:

I've found a lot of dual-CPU machines with two 6-core processors in them. Would that work? It seems like you would be recommending more like 64GB of RAM for sake of future expansion.

Things like cpu and ram can be easily upgraded and cheaply, so I wouldn't worry too much about those.

But dual 6 cores should be plenty for your listed uses.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Things like cpu and ram can be easily upgraded and cheaply, so I wouldn't worry too much about those.

But dual 6 cores should be plenty for your listed uses.

What would u recommend I do for a backup? 

31 minutes ago, Chickenfans said:

What would u recommend I do for a backup? 

How much data you storing? Probably cloud, or anouther server, hdd array off site.

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much data you storing? Probably cloud, or anouther server, hdd array off site.

Im going to say around 8TB but I have no idea right now.

5 hours ago, Chickenfans said:

Then it should be pretty easy to get a few external hdds and swap them offsite for a reasonble cost.

10 hours ago, Chickenfans said:

For movies 8tb is plenty. My unRAID has 11tb total available and I'm using like 1.5 with 12 TV shows and close to 400 movies so far

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo