How do i increase my GPU usage?

I recently upgraded both my GPU from a GTX 960 to a RTX 2070 Super and my RAM from 8 GB 2122 GHZ to 16 GB 3200GHZ from 5 years ago in order to play modern games, however in some games i'm getting worse frames per second such as CSGO and Tarkov is barely playable with low settings still. I know this shouldn't be the case at all and so i looked at the on display MSI Afterburner when playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 and my GPU usage is 10-30% and my cpu at 80-90%. I thought my processor wouldn't have been an issue but can someone please help as i've spent alot of money :(

Here are my specs:

Motherboard GA-Z170-HD3P

GPU : Nvidia RTX 2070 Super 

CPU - Intel I7-6700K

Hard Drive - Toshiba 1 TB 

RAM - 2 x 8gb Corsair Vengence 3200ghz

10 minutes ago, ScazzaP said:

GPU usage is 10-30% and my cpu at 80-90%

Your CPU is being a bottleneck. The only way you can increase the GPU-usage is to either buy a better CPU or turn down any CPU-heavy settings in games.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Have any OC on the CPU yet? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Your CPU is being a bottleneck. The only way you can increase the GPU-usage is to either buy a better CPU or turn down any CPU-heavy settings in games.

What CPU would be better that's good value though and do i need to worry about compatibility with my motherboard?

It was overclocked to 4 GHZ when i got it but i don't really know how to overclock it and i wouldn't want to damage my pc doing so as i'm inexperienced.

Sorry, what? i7 6700K overclocked is bottlenecking GPU? So why OP's worse GPU runs faster?

No matter how big bottleneck is (if any), better GPU should NOT works worse than worse model.

I would check drivers (maybe even DDU).

i7-6700k would handle the games you're talking about at 1080p around 100 fps high detail. If you can't get 200 fps on cs go with max settings at 1080p then clearly something else is going on.

Make sure you installed the drivers etc. If it was me I'd just fresh install win 10.

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Sorry, what? i7 6700K overclocked is bottlenecking GPU? So why OP's worse GPU runs faster?

No matter how big bottleneck is (if any), better GPU should NOT works worse than worse model.

I used DDU to uninstall old drivers and i installed Nvidia's latest ones for the GPU but i honestly don't know what else to do 

are you sure you're running the games with the nvidia gpu and not with the integrated intel one?

2 minutes ago, lafrente said:

i7-6700k would handle the games you're talking about at 1080p around 100 fps high detail. If you can't get 200 fps on cs go with max settings at 1080p then clearly something else is going on.

Make sure you installed the drivers etc. If it was me I'd just fresh install win 10.

This might be a silly question but would this involve me starting from scratch with nothing installed? if so thats fine i'm just willing to do whatever it takes to resolve this 

How do i check if this is the case?

Just now, boggy77 said:

are you sure you're running the games with the nvidia gpu and not with the integrated intel one?

2 minutes ago, ScazzaP said:

I used DDU to uninstall old drivers and i installed Nvidia's latest ones for the GPU but i honestly don't know what else to do 

How about other drivers such as chipset, sound (not too significant), BIOS updates etc?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

How about other drivers such as chipset, sound (not too significant), BIOS updates etc?

I've done chipset but i've never updated my bios or sound drivers. Apparently updating the BIOs should be done by experts?

5 minutes ago, ScazzaP said:

How do i check if this is the case?

is the cable from the monitor connected to the gpu or to the motherboard?

Just now, boggy77 said:

is the cable from the monitor connected to the gpu or to the motherboard?

The GPU

Just now, ScazzaP said:

The GPU

ok. make sure you're not on a power saving plan or something.

4 minutes ago, ScazzaP said:

I've done chipset but i've never updated my bios or sound drivers. Apparently updating the BIOs should be done by experts?

Check your motherboard manual to see if it has a program to install BIOS updates relatively easy, I've done them myself on two different boards and never had a problem with it. 

On you manual, go to chapter 2-20, it mentions a software utility for GIGABYTE Q-FLASH. 

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

ok. make sure you're not on a power saving plan or something.

I went to window power plan and turned it on the high performance power plan

I've tried reinstalling the lastest drivers and removing the old ones for the 960 but i just don't know how to resolve this, its stressing me out haha

45 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

It's always a good idea to just reinstall Windows once you have changed an important piece of hardware like CPU and GPU to avoid any further problems. Another thing you could try before that is to go to NVidia Control Panel under "Manage 3D Settings", scroll down to "OpenGL Rendering GPU" and make sure that it's set to the GPU you're using and then give it another go.

1 minute ago, Odyss said:

It's always a good idea to just reinstall Windows once you have changed an important piece of hardware like CPU and GPU to avoid any further problems. Another thing you could try before that is to go to NVidia Control Panel under "Manage 3D Settings", scroll down to "OpenGL Rendering GPU" and make sure that it's set to the GPU you're using and then give it another go.

I’m reinstalling windows as we speak, I’m doing it through the recovery tab and did the drive erase option which removed all files on it just to be sure (it’s just games installed on it) is that right to do?

and I will definately try that when it’s finished, thank you :) 

Just now, ScazzaP said:

I’m reinstalling windows as we speak, I’m doing it through the recovery tab and did the drive erase option which removed all files on it just to be sure (it’s just games installed on it) is that right to do?

and I will definately try that when it’s finished, thank you :) 

Well, if you plan on wiping everything, I'm not sure what you need the recovery tab for. Nonetheless, wipe everything on your drives, install back your drivers, install the game with which you've had issues and then see if the problem is still there. If it is, then you can try the thing in the nvidia control panel. It's not typically needed to be done by default since it's smart enough to figure which one you plan on using, but it's good to make sure.

2 minutes ago, Odyss said:

Well, if you plan on wiping everything, I'm not sure what you need the recovery tab for. Nonetheless, wipe everything on your drives, install back your drivers, install the game with which you've had issues and then see if the problem is still there. If it is, then you can try the thing in the nvidia control panel. It's not typically needed to be done by default since it's smart enough to figure which one you plan on using, but it's good to make sure.

I just did it through the control panel if that’s makes sense on where it says recovery and it said to do a clean install of windows from there if that’s correct?

will do tho thank you mate

Reinstalling Windows because of GPU change? OMFG, what will be next? Reinstalling Windows because mouse change? Or because you plug new pendrive into USB port?

Sorry, but this is more like magical thinking than real knowledge. Reinstalling OPERATING SYSTEM that is made for handling various hardware (plug&play was introduce in Windows95!) because you're using some hardware, is NOT a good advice. It's a joke.

"Better build a new house if you bought a new bed".

I would do as others said which is try to use DDU and then install the right drivers for the GPU. Then use the Nvidia Control Panel to make sure the GPU is optimised for the games you want to play. It's also important to know at what resolution you're playing at - if you're at 1080p then yeah your CPU will take most of the workload but if you go 1440p or higher then the workload shifts way more to the GPU. That's an important factor too.

10 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Reinstalling Windows because of GPU change? OMFG, what will be next? Reinstalling Windows because mouse change? Or because you plug new pendrive into USB port?

Sorry, but this is more like magical thinking than real knowledge. Reinstalling OPERATING SYSTEM that is made for handling various hardware (plug&play was introduce in Windows95!) because you're using some hardware, is NOT a good advice. It's a joke.

"Better build a new house if you bought a new bed".

That's a fair point but also a useless one if you're not willing to contribute anything useful to the thread and just want to criticise.