Connecting a GPU to a PSU

Wano97

To avoid breaking my GPU, I thought I'd ask it first. So in the past I've always had my GPU (2 x 8pin) connected to 2 x 6 pins on my PSU (PSU came with 8 pin to 6 pin cables), which worked fine (though it would sometimes crash under very heavy load). I just noticed it also has 2 x 6+2 pin connections on the PSU. Can I connect those to the 2 x 8 pin GPU?

Yeah, if they're meant for the GPU, why not?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Wait what exactly have you done in the past? Which motherboard has 2x6pin power out? 

Edit: ah, you edited. Ofc always fill ALL the pins on your GPU. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

6 pin PCIe delivers 75 watts. 6+2 pin PCIe delivers double that.

Definitely use the 6+2 connectors. Never use an adapter for 6 to 8 pin.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Wait what have exactly have you done in the past? Which motherboard has 2x6pin power out? 

my PSU has a 2x 6pin power out (and 2x 8 pin)

13 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

6 pin PCIe delivers 75 watts. 6+2 pin PCIe delivers double that.

NO.  The cables don't know anything, they'll transfer as much energy as the video card demands.

If you have issues that you think are caused by the power quality, it's more likely that the power supply can not provide that amount of energy, and changing the cables won't make a difference.

The PCI-E Standard says that a video card should not take more than 75w from a 6pin connector, or 150w from a 8 pin connector - the wires and the physical connectors are capable of much more than that, the 6pin connector for example is good for up to around 3 pairs of wires x 9A per pair x 12v = 324 watts.

The 9A is a physical limitation of the metal pins inside the housing (the plastic of the connectors) - more is possible but you risk overheating the connectors or having loose connections inside the connectors. There are also connectors rated for more (ex 12-13A per contact), especially for EPS (cpu 8 pin), which use thicker filled pins capable of carrying safely more current.

So because a video card can not be called pci-e video card and can't put on the box any mention of pci-e if they exceed this amount of power drawn from the power supply, that's what happens... the video card bios will refuse to work with a 6 pin cable inside instead of 8 pin, even though it could. 

The two extra pins in the 8pin connector are just used to give the video card the "permission" to take more than 75w, as an analogy it's like a read-only hole on a cassette tape or floppy disk which prevents you from recording data on the medium ... the two wires are just that, a flag telling the video card it's allow to suck more than 75w of energy from the power supply.

An adapter will simply add those two wires which tell the video card "it's allow to take more than 75w". There's additional losses at the connection point (between adapter cable and the cable from power supply), but that's practically nothing, less than 1 watt of energy converted to heat and a few mV lost due to the resistance in the connector contacts.