do i need a heatsink for nvme drive?

Snowarch

I upgraded to a dueldrive setup. m.2 nvme with 120gb for a boot drive, and a 1tb sata drive for the game storage. i was wondering does the m.2 need a heatsink spasific to the drive? heard corsair force 500 drive runs hot. its my first time working with an m.2 drive, and i do not want to fry it. also the slots on my boards say m.2 ultra so i its likely compatable.

if it does need a heatsink, is the one that came covering a motherboard slot good enough or is it like a stock cpu cooler where alternative tends to be better?

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

Id get a 240gb or 500gb if you can for boot. Windows 10 + programs can start to get tight under 120gb, and its nice to have a few games on the ssd. Also bigger drives are faster.

3 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

I upgraded to a dueldrive setup. m.2 nvme with 120gb for a boot drive, and a 1tb sata drive for the game storage. i was wondering does the m.2 need a heatsink spasific to the drive? heard corsair force 500 drive runs hot. its my first time working with an m.2 drive, and i do not want to fry it. also the slots on my boards say m.2 ultra so i its likely compatable.

if it does need a heatsink, is the one that came covering a motherboard slot good enough or is it like a stock cpu cooler where alternative tends to be better?

you dont really need one, and the stock one should be fine.

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

1 minute ago, Snowarch said:

If it's not PCIe gen 4, it shouldn't need one. The label on the drive is designed as a heat spreader to move heat to the flash chips, which actually like to be a little warm. If you have a motherboard heatsink there's no reason not to use it-- most people recommend cutting the paper on the thermal pad so the pad only contacts the controller, not the flash.

@Electronics Wizardy i am using ubuntu only eats less than 30gb for the os. and seeing as the m.2 are faster than ssds unless i read wrong, figured it'd be a slight boost.

@Grabhanem okay ill try to use the heatsink, but controller and flash? i dont exactly understand.

main rig:

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

backup

My Force MP500 runs quite well without the heat sink

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

i just hope i can partition it right. always let the pc partition it for me in the past. gave 977mb swap, and 3 ssd partitions when i had one drive. 

main rig:

backup

6 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

@Electronics Wizardy i am using ubuntu only eats less than 30gb for the os. and seeing as the m.2 are faster than ssds unless i read wrong, figured it'd be a slight boost.

@Grabhanem okay ill try to use the heatsink, but controller and flash? i dont exactly understand.

m.2 drives are ssds, just claraifaing.

Id still go bigger, the space is nice for things like programs and files and the price difference is small.

Id just use the headsink on your board.

5 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

i just hope i can partition it right. always let the pc partition it for me in the past. gave 977mb swap, and 3 ssd partitions when i had one drive. 

For partitions, why did you make 3 in the past? Other the boot and swap, I normally have one big onve, and make subvolumes if needed.

10 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

The different components on the drive-- the controller is generally closer to the connector, while the flash is at the opposite end, and maybe a RAM chip next to the controller:

ssd.thumb.jpg.1da1c9f2e3d98b4f7fb291b4c727b5fe.jpg

If you don't want to bother with cutting the paper you can just stick the whole thing on, it really doesn't matter either way.

27 minutes ago, Snowarch said:

You do not require a heatsink, but you will not have the maximum performance out of the SSD if you do not have a heatsink. SSD's aren't like CPU's. The heat degrades the performance of the controller chip.

You can usually find high performance SSD's with heatsinks already on them, or you can add one to any existing one, just use the same kind of Thermal pad's you would use for RAM chips. I don't recommend thermal paste as getting it off later might contaminate the PCB.

The problem is that the heatsinks for SSD's only have one screw to mount them with, so they have to resort to a back-plate style heatsink, which makes them larger than a typical laptop mount, which is what current NVMe mounts assume.

You can use something like this however, if you're space-restricted:

https://www.newegg.com/p/17Z-00A1-000J0?item=9SIA8W59A99193

A4UB_1320306166836195568czFiHu8xH.jpg

These just side-clip to the SSD, so it's not perfect, but better than nothing.

On Dell Precision 5520/5530's there isn't even a heatsink, there is just a thermal pad applied to the SSD and the back of the laptop is the heatsink. Which is a bit silly IMO.

IMG_20200402_174404.thumb.jpg.73d09ead3cc6faa24ba37035646e8db5.jpgthe picture is the heatsink that came with the board. and i am confused. don't you want a boot drive as small as possible? and the hold all else drive big? the ssd is 1tb and even now, the ssd isnt completely filled. thr system apps like steam, blender, and stuff like my home folder go on the ssd and boot drive just, boots fast.

main rig:

backup