Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
probablydumb

Could my cpu power plan bottleneck my gpu?

Hello,

60-75°C is not pretty high so you're good to let it in balanced. And no, a 3600x doesn't really bottleneck a 2080S that much.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Long story short i bought a new gpu with a new cpu.(3600x, RTX 2080S) And it works really well.But one day found out that the temps are pretty high on the cpu.So i tried different solutions.Nothing worked.Until i changed the power plan

To Power Saver.Now that's when i ran a 3dmark test and i saw the cpu temps we're doing a lot better while load. so imma give y'all a comparison.

Normal Power plan (balanced)  Graphics score:28 030 Physics score: 19 115 Combined Score 9925     Temps cpu 60-75.                       Power saver: graphics score 28 141 Physics score 15 283 And combined score 7747 temps cpu 50-60.                                                                                                                          

Overall in the physics score and combined score i lost about 10 fps of performance.But im not going to cry about it.What keeps on asking me is

on the Balanced power plan my GPU usage while doing the combined test starts off 80% and drops down to 66%. But on the power saver Starts off 74% drops down to 52%

Could i be in any way shape or form be bottlenecking my GPU?

Posted · Best Answer

Hello,

60-75°C is not pretty high so you're good to let it in balanced. And no, a 3600x doesn't really bottleneck a 2080S that much.

Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

1 minute ago, Meganter said:

Hello,

Hey, i know a 3600x doesn't bottleneck it that much thats actually the reason i bought it. But im just asking since the gpu usage changed on the power saver plan can mean im adding even more bottlenecking to it

9 minutes ago, probablydumb said:

Long story short i bought a new gpu with a new cpu.(3600x, RTX 2080S) And it works really well.But one day found out that the temps are pretty high on the cpu.So i tried different solutions.Nothing worked.Until i changed the power plan

To Power Saver.Now that's when i ran a 3dmark test and i saw the cpu temps we're doing a lot better while load. so imma give y'all a comparison.

Normal Power plan (balanced)  Graphics score:28 030 Physics score: 19 115 Combined Score 9925     Temps cpu 60-75.                       Power saver: graphics score 28 141 Physics score 15 283 And combined score 7747 temps cpu 50-60.                                                                                                                          

Overall in the physics score and combined score i lost about 10 fps of performance.But im not going to cry about it.What keeps on asking me is

on the Balanced power plan my GPU usage while doing the combined test starts off 80% and drops down to 66%. But on the power saver Starts off 74% drops down to 52%

Could i be in any way shape or form be bottlenecking my GPU?

60-75 is not a high temp mate. Moreover, in power saver mode, the system limits the CPU's max frequency which will reduce the performance and maybe cause bottleneck. Use balanced mode.

Hope it helps. :)

7 minutes ago, probablydumb said:

Hey, i know a 3600x doesn't bottleneck it that much thats actually the reason i bought it. But im just asking since the gpu usage changed on the power saver plan can mean im adding even more bottlenecking to it

nah you shoud be fine

Main PC:

CPU: i5-8600k@5.0GHz | GPU 1: GTX 1660@2070MHz | GPU 2: GT 710 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480GB & Kingston UV400 120GB |  HDD: 2x 2TB WD Black | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro & Linux Mint 

Secondary PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320 A-PRO MAX | OS: Windows 10 Pro

Server:

Model: HP DL360e Gen 8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2407 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120GB | OS: CentOS 8

Laptop:

Model: MacBook Air Late 2010 | CPU: Core 2 Duo L9600 | RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1066MHz | OS: MacOS Catalina 

42 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yeah, temps are normal and power saving will affect gpu as well. go with balanced and maybe change the cpu fan curve in bios, or get a new cooler if you really want lower temps.

Alright ill let it in balanced.But the thing that's making me switch to power saver is once when i ran a fire strike stress test, at the end of the stress test the cpu temp was like 75c-76c and all of a sudden SPIKED ALL THE WAY UP TO 87C. Now it didn't stay at 87c it just hit it then fell down to 75c again.Im just wondering if lets say in a random scenario im running an insanely intensive program and the temp is idk 82c and it spikes up to 95c. Im just afraid my pc will shut down all of a sudden because of the temps.

Again it doesn't stay at 87c it hits it then falls down to 76-77c.So can this be a problem?

6 minutes ago, probablydumb said:

Alright ill let it in balanced.But the thing that's making me switch to power saver is once when i ran a fire strike stress test, at the end of the stress test the cpu temp was like 75c-76c and all of a sudden SPIKED ALL THE WAY UP TO 87C. Now it didn't stay at 87c it just hit it then fell down to 75c again.Im just wondering if lets say in a random scenario im running an insanely intensive program and the temp is idk 82c and it spikes up to 95c. Im just afraid my pc will shut down all of a sudden because of the temps.

Again it doesn't stay at 87c it hits it then falls down to 76-77c.So can this be a problem?

shouldn't shut down. thermal throttling will hit way before that. we aren't in 2001 anymore with pc's shutting down because cpus reach 95.

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

shouldn't shut down. thermal throttling will hit way before that. we aren't in 2001 anymore with pc's shutting down because cpus reach 95.

Alright thanks you for your help, same goes with everyone