Dell optiplex gx620 cpu upgrade

Are there any better cpus than the pentium d 3.4ghz(besides the prentium d 3.6ghz) that are supported by the motherboard?

2 minutes ago, Kewin_S said:

Are there any better cpus than the pentium d 3.4ghz(besides the prentium d 3.6ghz) that are supported by the motherboard?

People tried core 2's but it failed. Why even bother upgrading this system? It's like 13 years old at this point.

Junk that ancient relic. You get get a core i5 system for about 100$ used

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

People tried core 2's but it failed. Why even bother upgrading this system? It's like 13 years old at this point.

i was gonna add a very cheap but semi-usable cpu and get like an rx 580 and use it for mining seeing as the power consumption of the cpu at idle is pretty low

1 minute ago, Kewin_S said:

i was gonna add a very cheap but semi-usable cpu and get like an rx 580 and use it for mining seeing as the power consumption of the cpu at idle is pretty low

On a P4 based architecture you'll likely have trouble with the "semi-usable" part. The pipelines on those are bad enough that even the fastest was pretty worthless.

Just now, Grabhanem said:

On a P4 based architecture you'll likely have trouble with the "semi-usable" part. The pipelines on those are bad enough that even the fastest was pretty worthless.

do you have any recommendations that can run windows 10 cuz thats the only reason for acc changing the pentium 4 thats already in it

5 minutes ago, Kewin_S said:

Mining on any gpu costs you more in power than it brings up. Everyone moved onto way faster different methods again. Just leave it be. Also idle power consumption on a p4 or pentium d is not low.

Just now, Kewin_S said:

do you have any recommendations that can run windows 10 cuz thats the only reason for acc changing the pentium 4 thats already in it

I'd recommend just tossing or selling the system and grabbing a cheap refurbished core2 or early i3/i5 office PC depending on budget. Nothing on that platform is going to be worth using.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Mining on any gpu costs you more in power than it brings up. Everyone moved onto way faster different methods again. Just leave it be. Also idle power consumption on a p4 or pentium d is not low.

kl thanks for the advivce ill look into a different setup