a wireless alternative to cable internet

KylorLee

i want to know if theres a wireless alternative to cable internet like a wireless option thats actually good to use

wireless has been phased out, you can still get satellite but it's not nearly as good.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Very very location specific.  In theory? Maybe.  Depending on area.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

In Portugal you have 4G modens with 100Mbits/100Mbits connection....if you can get one of these you will be ok(make sure you are near the main ISP antenas otherwise it is a full on mega suky suky service) but all services are suky suky compared to cable!

1 hour ago, KylorLee said:

i want to know if theres a wireless alternative to cable internet like a wireless option thats actually good to use

Good and wireless can’t be used in the same sentence. You have 4G/5G or Satellite. Satellite can have low usage caps. LTE or 5G might be better but may have data limits as well. Maybe a WISP is in your area, but quality will vary.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Good and wireless can’t be used in the same sentence. You have 4G/5G or Satellite. Satellite can have low usage caps. LTE or 5G might be better but may have data limits as well. Maybe a WISP is in your area, but quality will vary.

whats a WISP?

Just now, KylorLee said:

whats a WISP?

Wireless Internet Service Provider. They use Fixed wireless setups. They are diffrenet then LTE because they dont offer cellular service, they pureley just offer an internet connection. You will generally have a antenna of some kind on the outside of your home that will transmit and receive the signal. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Wireless Internet Service Provider. They use Fixed wireless setups. They are diffrenet then LTE because they dont offer cellular service, they pureley just offer an internet connection. You will generally have a antenna of some kind on the outside of your home that will transmit and receive the signal. 

oh well i already found one unlike my current service they said they would have no data cap and send me an antenna to use with tmobile towers cause tmobile has best coverage in my town and with tmobiles new signal even better so i know for a fact an antenna will be very useful especially where i live

Just now, KylorLee said:

oh well i already found one unlike my current service they said they would have no data cap and send me an antenna to use with tmobile towers cause tmobile has best coverage in my town and with tmobiles new signal even better so i know for a fact an antenna will be very useful especially where i live

Thats if TMobile's new signal is even turned on. TMobile has to wait for TV broadcasters to swtich off of the band before they can turn on their transmitters. We are currently in Phase 8 of the FCC channel repack, which is the process of TV stations getting new transmitters and converting over to a new frequency. So not all areas are on 600 Mhz. Not sure if the policy applies to their home internet LTE service, but T Mobile did have a 50 Gig soft cap so to speak where they MIGHT deprioritize your traffic. Not sure if they applies to the home internet or just phone data. 

Also if you do get the service. Please give us a review. Id love to see what they have done here. My family is so sick and tired of Comcast and its bullshit that we would probably be willing to go to TMobile if their service is good. We already have our phones thru TMobile, and I love the service. Especially every Tuesday when they hand out free stuff. Such as the 10 cents off a gallon of gas up to 20 Gallons I get weekly, or the free Appetizer at Ruby Tuesdays they gave out this week. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Thats if TMobile's new signal is even turned on. TMobile has to wait for TV broadcasters to swtich off of the band before they can turn on their transmitters. We are currently in Phase 8 of the FCC channel repack, which is the process of TV stations getting new transmitters and converting over to a new frequency. So not all areas are on 600 Mhz. Not sure if the policy applies to their home internet LTE service, but T Mobile did have a 50 Gig soft cap so to speak where they MIGHT deprioritize your traffic. Not sure if they applies to the home internet or just phone data. 

Also if you do get the service. Please give us a review. Id love to see what they have done here. My family is so sick and tired of Comcast and its bullshit that we would probably be willing to go to TMobile if their service is good. We already have our phones thru TMobile, and I love the service. Especially every Tuesday when they hand out free stuff. Such as the 10 cents off a gallon of gas up to 20 Gallons I get weekly, or the free Appetizer at Ruby Tuesdays they gave out this week. 

honestly i think tmobile tuesday is total shit so if this new internet home wireless internet service works out im ditching tmobile after paying off one of my phones and switching to metropcs cause i can get free amazon prime with there service and i can use that better than tmobile tuesday cause the things you get on that app are completely random and i almost never use anything on it

11 hours ago, KylorLee said:

lol, You're question is self explained to be no..

No wireless connection is ever an alternative for wired..

You go wireless when you got no other choice and life in suffering.

5 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

lol, You're question is self explained to be no..

No wireless connection is ever an alternative for wired..

You go wireless when you got no other choice and life in suffering.

Depends how awful the wires option is.  We got a wisp in Minneapolis that is kicking ass all over  the local cable provider.  Not because it’s especially good for a wisp, but because the cable provider is so very very bad.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends how awful the wires option is.  We got a wisp in Minneapolis that is kicking ass all over  the local cable provider.  Not because it’s especially good for a wisp, but because the cable provider is so very very bad.

Define what you mean by "very bad" i'm sure our understanding on this is quite different..

7 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Define what you mean by "very bad" i'm sure our understanding on this is quite different..

Fantastically expensive generally.  Poor and variable bandwidth, lost service, abusive practices, etc.. it is possible for a company to provide much poorer product than they are actually capable of doing just because they are a monopoly.  

Should they be a poorer provider?  No.  Wired has the capacity to be far far batter than wireless.  It doesn’t always happen that way though.

it can even be pretty extreme.  The city I live in has areas that are served by only on internet carrier and parts that aren’t. The difference is so vast that home prices jump 20% just for being in a competitive area.   I got a friend who lives a block away from the competitive zone and watches the proposed build out like a hawk.  He’s been awaiting the day for competitive internet to move to his block for like 3 years now. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Fantastically expensive generally.  Poor and variable bandwidth, lost service, abusive practices, etc.. it is possible for a company to provide much poorer product than they are actually capable of doing just because they are a monopoly.  

Should they be a poorer provider?  No.  Wired has the capacity to be far far batter than wireless.  It doesn’t always happen that way though.

it can even be pretty extreme.  The city I live in has areas that are served by only on internet carrier and parts that aren’t. The difference is so vast that home prices jump 20% just for being in a competitive area.   I got a friend who lives a block away from the competitive zone and watches the proposed build out like a hawk.  He’s been awaiting the day for competitive internet to move to his block for like 3 years now. 

That's not really a defined reason..

No matter how you twist it a wired connection will be faster and more stable than wireless.

How a company operate (shady or not) does not define which service is the best.

But sure, i understand what you mean.

59 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

That's not really a defined reason..

No matter how you twist it a wired connection will be faster and more stable than wireless.

How a company operate (shady or not) does not define which service is the best.

But sure, i understand what you mean.

Oh it should be.  Should and what actually happens can be different things though.  No reason it wouldn’t technically.  This isn’t technically though.  What defines what is best is what the end product is and what it costs.

8 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

No matter how you twist it a wired connection will be faster and more stable than wireless

I can get 25 mbps at min on my LTE connection on my Phone. AT&T provides only up to 18 Mbps aDSL in our area. SOOOOOO... Wireless is much faster in many cases than DSL. Also, on Docsis cable internet, it varys provider by provider, area by area. Many of the large providers bought smaller providers back in the day, it all depends on how they upgraded those local networks. In some cases, some providers are not really reilable at all. For example I have rock solid service from Comcast, but there are people out there that dont get rock solid service. Thats becasue most ISP's run each area independly in a way.