Do you use optical drives?

Henry

Sounds like user error. HAHA. I only partially kid. the only problem Ive ever had that I didnt do was taking my macbook to 10500FT and trying to use it make videos of my ski vacation. apparently apple is quiet stricked when they say max altitude 10000FT. did this on 2 different trips and both times encountered problems with a file corrupting. usually takes about 3 months for the mac to sort out the error or you can fix it by deleting the corrupted file. the currupted file freezes it indefinately.

nope, not gonna spell check this paragraph.

Nope I setup all my systems the same some get just weird some times this has happened to me since I have had 2+ systems. I also have tons of random open source programs, older programs, and some that have certain dependencies. You just encounter weird stuff stuff sometimes that many times cant be fixed or if it can it easier to clean install windows. Other times I have systems that are just rock solid stable which my laptop was since Win8 launched until I had to clean install after it got fixed.

Nope I setup all my systems the same some get just weird some times this has happened to me since I have had 2+ systems. I also have tons of random open source programs, older programs, and some that have certain dependencies. You just encounter weird stuff stuff sometimes that many times cant be fixed or if it can it easier to clean install windows. Other times I have systems that are just rock solid stable which my laptop was since Win8 launched until I had to clean install after it got fixed.

I guess thats where our paths differ. I am fairly limited on what programs I use, most of which have been optimized for the OS and are not directly open source. I do understand what you mean when you talk about older programs though. Tired to use an old program once and it was not going to have it. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I have an External one that I've owned for a while. As Then when I did my build I excluded it because I was short on cash. So.... Yeah, as much as you don't need one, It is a pain in the but when you want to install something like old games or some software that isn't online. 

I don't have one installed, and I'm not planning to change that.

My OS is on a stick and drivers etc are on my external HDD, so.. yeah. No optical drive for me :>

Whenever I want to listen music in my BMW, I have to use CD's so I need to have an optical drive.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

I use it only to re-install Win8 on my PC, because somehow reset OS function on my win8.1 is messed up by microsoft (or I'm just being a noob and lazy to search)... else, I wouldn't need this optical drive... maybe after this I'm going to get that Zalman enclosure that has ODD mode and use it to replace my optical drive... 

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

I use it only to re-install Win8 on my PC, because somehow reset OS function on my win8.1 is messed up by microsoft (or I'm just being a noob and lazy to search)... else, I wouldn't need this optical drive... maybe after this I'm going to get that Zalman enclosure that has ODD mode and use it to replace my optical drive...

I have not yet been able to successfully install windows using that enclosure and ive had it for over a year.

I don't use it everyday but I normally buy games on local stores since I like collecting their cd and stuff. 

around 7-11 times every 2 months or so.

Live your life like a dream.

i just started using that thing Logan mentioned a while ago. where you load up ISO's to a hard drive.

The enclosure thingy.

The Syndicate

I use them to make dvds of pictures for my extended family and to rip a movie when I buy one.

They're installed, but as of right now not really.. Plugged into anything.

I use optical drive mostly for games, I like purchasing hard copies of a game, just is nicer, then buying it digitally 

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I have not yet been able to successfully install windows using that enclosure and ive had it for over a year.

really?? hhmmm... should search some reviews first then before buying... though Ubuntu should work just fine right? coz that's one of the reason as well... :)

I use optical drive mostly for games, I like purchasing hard copies of a game, just is nicer, then buying it digitally 

I used to buy physical copies as well, but most of the time the games are with Steam that I ended up downloading the game anyway...  :lol:

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

really?? hhmmm... should search some reviews first then before buying... though Ubuntu should work just fine right? coz that's one of the reason as well... :)

I used to buy physical copies as well, but most of the time the games are with Steam that I ended up downloading the game anyway... :lol:

I havnt a clue and I looked the other day and there is a firmware update so that may just fix it but I currently dont have a drive to pop into it to check.

I've had my finished computer for 2 months and have yet to install an optical drive.

Also, it took me 5 months to realize my laptop doesn't have one either. And that was only cause my mother wanted me to burn her a cd. Ended up making a playlist in my iPod.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I've had my finished computer for 2 months and have yet to install an optical drive.

Also, it took me 5 months to realize my laptop doesn't have one either. And that was only cause my mother wanted me to burn her a cd. Ended up making a playlist in my iPod.

My mother assumed that my laptop had one, and spent an hour to find it. Long story short, she never found one. Most Laptops these days don't have one, unless you specifically buy one. 

My mother assumed that my laptop had one, and spent an hour to find it. Long story short, she never found one. Most Laptops these days don't have one, unless you specifically buy one. 

The only reason why I'd personally need an optical drive would to be take it out and add an ssd :P

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Why DVD over Digital?

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

My latest gaming PC which is about a month old does not, first build in which I didn't add an optical drive. My planned htpc build will have a bluray burner in it I think but still not sure. Final build will be by the end of the month.