What to choose - paid or free VPN

Fantfann

Over the past few years, the number of VPN services has increased several times. Not surprisingly, they allow you to use the Internet without any regional restrictions. Nowadays, VPN is represented by both browser extensions and applications for Android and iOS. Moreover, many services are available for free, which attract a huge number of users. But do we know where free cheese is? Therefore, the choice between paid and free VPN is really very acute. In general, there are quite a few cases of using a virtual private network. For example, you often work in a cafe at the train station or in the lobby of the hotel. Free Wi-Fi is great, but there are a number of risks, any network can be fake and attack the computer with malware. Or if you are in China or other countries that regularly block access to websites. In this case, use a VPN to mask your IP address and select a server in any other country. Many people want to watch the latest TV shows on Netflix from the USA and a VPN will allow you to do this again by offering an IP address that disguises your location and allows you to bypass geo-blocking. Not to mention the fact that there are many government organizations and large private offices, including even your provider, who have official or unofficial authority to access your data. With VPN you get an extra layer of protection from prying eyes.

At first glance, the choice between a free and a paid application is obvious. Why pay for what you can get for free? But with VPN applications, things are not so simple. In the end, there is no free cheese: you will pay in one way or another. When it comes to free VPN services, such a fee can be a low connection speed, the need to watch annoying ads, dangerous viruses, or even leak sensitive data!

My computer has the simplest vpn installed directly in the browser, the simplest free and unlimited, and it suits me. I did not try to install it on my Android phone and on ios due to the fact that I do not use phones when browsing the Internet, but I think that everything is there as simple as on a computer. Great service, you can go with it anywhere under my IP address.

Remember, if something is free, YOU ARE THE PRODUCT.

So a "VPN" that advertise itself as "free"... Well lets just say I wouldn't really trust it to safeguard my "data".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 2/10/2020 at 9:18 AM, Fantfann said:

Over the past few years, the number of VPN services has increased several times. Not surprisingly, they allow you to use the Internet without any regional restrictions. Nowadays, VPN is represented by both browser extensions and applications for Android and iOS. Moreover, many services are available for free, which attract a huge number of users. But do we know where free cheese is? Therefore, the choice between paid and free VPN is really very acute. In general, there are quite a few cases of using a virtual private network. For example, you often work in a cafe at the train station or in the lobby of the hotel. Free Wi-Fi is great, but there are a number of risks, any network can be fake and attack the computer with malware. Or if you are in China or other countries that regularly block access to websites. In this case, use a VPN to mask your IP address and select a server in any other country. Many people want to watch the latest TV shows on Netflix from the USA and a VPN will allow you to do this again by offering an IP address that disguises your location and allows you to bypass geo-blocking. Not to mention the fact that there are many government organizations and large private offices, including even your provider, who have official or unofficial authority to access your data. With VPN you get an extra layer of protection from prying eyes.

Choose a paid service, free VPN's log your info regardless of whether or not they say otherwise.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I use a paid VPN service for my mobile device and laptop and desktop computers. On the computer side, it works wonderfully and I haven't noticed any kind of slowdown. And I can get by certain geo-restrictions on Youtube and Netflix with a few clicks. On the cell phone side, well, it's a mixed bag. The service allows you to be on a VPN when you're on WiFi, LTE or both. I usually have both selected and one of the downsides is that on either network, it can take FOREVER for something to load, even if my bars are at full strength. The second I disable the VPN everything returns to being snappy. Generally I have to turn on airplane mode and turn it off to reset my network to get anywhere. It can be quite frustrating when you're trying to look something up, like Youtube, and all you see is a spinning circle and eventually an error saying you timed out.

But when it does work, it works great. So I guess my whole point is when it comes to something like a VPN, it's better to pay for it. It's a few bucks a month and its benefits do outweigh the cons.