Blade server for game server

Monkey5283

I was wondering if using a used blade server off eBay would be a good choice for game server hosting. 

absolutely not, for a few reasons:

- unwieldly

- ebay means decomissioned means old means high power draw

- non-standard hardware, so hardware failures are near-impossible to deal with

- other options are plenty, and are better in just about any aspect.

@Lurick You were talking about blade servers (that you own?) a short time back. Thoughts?

I don't know if Blade Servers run standard OS's or of they need specialized software to work. Depending on the games though I can't say you'll need THAT much density in terms of CPU & RAM. Single socket LGA2011 or LGA2011-v3 a pile of RAM and a good hypervisor would enable you to host about as much as you could want all at once (or within the confinds of your home internet plan)

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

@Lurick You were talking about blade servers (that you own?) a short time back. Thoughts?

I don't know if Blade Servers run standard OS's or of they need specialized software to work. Depending on the games though I can't say you;ll ned THAT much density in terms of CPU & RAM. Single socket LGA2011 or LGA2011-v3 a pile of RAM and a good hypervisor would enable you to host about as much as you could want all at once (or within the confinds of your home internet plan)

They can run a standard OS but they need a chassis to house them so unless OP is getting them dirt cheap and is ready to fork out a good bit of money for power it's not worth it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

They can run a standard OS but they need a chassis to house them so unless OP is getting them dirt cheap and is ready to fork out a good bit of money for power it's not worth it.

I've always wanted to play with a blade server. For both compute and virtualization purposes. I wonder how NUMA works on them. I take it they require 4XXX series or 8XXX series Xeons so they have the QPI links to talk to each other. :D

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I've always wanted to play with a blade server. For both compute and virtualization purposes. I wonder how NUMA works on them. I take it they require 4XXX series or 8XXX series Xeons so they have the QPI links to talk to each other. :D

Depends on the blade since some are "single wide" and usually only have 2 CPUs in those so they can use the 2xxx series but I haven't looked at NUMA scaling on them. Double wide are usually 4 or 8 CPUs depending on the vendor :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

@Monkey5283 No, that's just an enclosure itself for the parts of the blade server. You need a separate chassis itself to power it.

Like this:

https://www.metservers.com/HP-ProLiant-c7000-Chassis-with-16x-BL460c-G8-Blade-Server

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

14 minutes ago, Lurick said:

@Monkey5283 No, that's just an enclosure itself for the parts of the blade server. You need a separate chassis itself to power it.

Like this:

https://www.metservers.com/HP-ProLiant-c7000-Chassis-with-16x-BL460c-G8-Blade-Server

Ok now I’m lost what is the difference between a blade server and regular server?

Just now, Monkey5283 said:

Ok now I’m lost what is the difference between a blade server and regular server?

Blade servers are modular and go inside a larger enclosure and lack power supplies and other parts on the rear. A regular server is fully encompased and includes a power supply, I/O ports, etc. and works without a chassis.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Blade servers are modular and go inside a larger enclosure and lack power supplies and other parts on the rear. A regular server is fully encompased and includes a power supply, I/O ports, etc. and works without a chassis.

So what can a guy use for hosting game servers?

So what can a guy use for hosting game servers?

You'll need a non-blade server. Dell R610 or R620 are great options.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

How expensive r they?

How expensive r they?

Depends on the specs but usually $100+

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

29 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Depends on the specs but usually $100+

Aight thanks man 

3 hours ago, Monkey5283 said:

There are three main types of servers.

Blade Servers (Needs a bigger chassis to get power, internet connectivity and management)

Rack Servers (Probably most standard) These "looks" like blase servers but are a few times bigger aprox 19" x 600-800 CM long

Tower Servers which looks like normal computers.

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2020 at 4:03 PM, Lurick said:

Ive been looking at these. I find all kinds of different prices from $400 - $1500. Do you have a link to some that you recommend?