I need some help and advice on something.

So I'm building a gaming computer, I've bought all the parts but I am still very split. See, i want costum water cooling with rigid/hard tubing in my build, but It's really expensive and hard to get and install, so i really want to know if it does a big difference between having an closed loop water cooler or a custom loop, my specs are -

- I9 9900k

- rtx 2080 super

- 32 gb ram 

- Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (motherboard)

- corsair 1000w power supply 

- Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 ( 1000 gb)

- corsair obsidian series 500D rgb se (case)

Please i really need help 

should i stick  with a closed loop liquid cooler from corsair or custom loop ?????

By closed loop do you mean AIO?  The problems I had with AIO was bubbles.  There was no effective way to get rid of the bubbles which made the thing noisy.  AIOs that have no bubbles are supposed to exist.  I’ve never seen one myself.  AIOs are lower maintainance than custom loop, but they’re also disposable.  They can’t be refilled or even really repaired.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yes i meant AIO, but do you think i should get a custom loop then? its just like the custom loop will cost me around 800 dollars but the AIO cooler will only be like 150. what do you think i should get? like is it worth it to get custom loop?

I’ve never owned a custom loop.  I’m an air guy.  Air is cheaper and lower maintenance and longer lasting.  It’s got a smaller performance envelope though and the larger air coolers can get big and unwieldy.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, HolyBible1 said:

Okay, but thanks for the replay non the less

For what it’s worth $800 strikes me as high.  There are people here who claim they’ve done them for $100 in parts.

Is this gaming build ? Then you really would be okay even with mid-tier air cooler like Scythe Fuma 2, not to say smth like Noctua NH-D15 or be quiet! DRP4 but i can relate to the appeal of water cooling. Just get some AIO then, like EVGA CLC 280\360, Alphacool Eisbaer 360, Corsair H115i PRO, NZXT Kraken X62.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Well i was going for the corsair hydro x hard tubing full set. it costs 760 US dollars wich is just insane, i dont even know how to install it or bend the tubes properly. so I'm very confused and frustrated.

Just now, HolyBible1 said:

Well i was going for the corsair hydro x hard tubing full set. it costs 760 US dollars wich is just insane, i dont even know how to install it or bend the tubes properly. so I'm very confused and frustrated.

Doesn’t sound like you’re ready for a custom loop.

Are you sure my system won't make alot of noise because of the fans or overheat ??

38 minutes ago, HolyBible1 said:

Are you sure my system won't make alot of noise because of the fans or overheat ??

I have R7 3700X, it's mining 24\7, package power around 100W, under Corsair H115i PRO in push-pull, it's completely quiet (like completely, HDDs are more noisy that anything other that i can hear from my PC). Now, i9 9900K die are a bit smaller so it's harder to cool and most AIOs in non-push-pull config will be a bit more noisy under the same level of cooling but in gaming you wouldn't draw more than 75W with 9900K at 5GHz, it's safe to say that stock 280mm AIO would be just as quiet in gaming with 9900K.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

8 minutes ago, HolyBible1 said:

You haven’t said what your system is so it’s hard to know.  If you’re going to, say run a 65w cpu and not overclock it a custom loop is sort of silly.... oh wait, you did.  The 9900k is right on the bleeding edge of what an air cooler system can handle, and the 2080s is a pretty warm card.  You might not even be able to get full OC out of a big air system.  

My system is a gaming pc that i use mainly for gaming

IMHO if you go for AIO the two fan ones can’t really do any better cooling wise than big air and they cost more while being louder.   Their advantage lies in small form factor systems and ease of install.  360s go beyond the air cooler performance envelope though.  I dunno about 280s. They’re two fan but they’re 2 larger fans.  I can see needing push pull for a 280 because the static pressure of a 140mm fan is lower than a 120mm fan.

1 hour ago, HolyBible1 said:

My system is a gaming pc that i use mainly for gaming

If u have to ask about 'worth' in regards to worries about cost. Dont get a Custom loop.

Custom Loops are an enthusiast level thing, technically not worth the money, but we do it anyway.

If you do go for it, u dont have to go with hard tubing if ur worried about it, go with soft tubing and design it so that the tubing runs are as straight as possible 'mimicking' hardline runs.

If you go with an AIO, get a 360mm AIO or go with a top of the line air cooler like the NH-D15 or DRP4.

120mm & 240mm AIOs are not worth it, and 280mm are only very very slightly better.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

For what it’s worth $800 strikes me as high.  There are people here who claim they’ve done them for $100 in parts.

Yeah that about right. I call bs on those saying they put a loop together for $100. I just spent $414cad on fittings, a DDC pump, coolant, 1m of 12mm petg, 1m of 12mm glass tubing and a swivel 90 FC terminal.

Now add a swiftech apogee drive ii cpu block, 2 alphacool st30 xflow 240mm rads, a 2080ti waterblock and a backplate. 

Maybe if you lived in or close to China or caught a fire sale part out.

10 hours ago, SolarNova said:

If u have to ask about 'worth' in regards to worries about cost. Dont get a Custom loop.

Custom Loops are an enthusiast level thing, technically not worth the money, but we do it anyway.

If you do go for it, u dont have to go with hard tubing if ur worried about it, go with soft tubing and design it so that the tubing runs are as straight as possible 'mimicking' hardline runs.

If you go with an AIO, get a 360mm AIO or go with a top of the line air cooler like the NH-D15 or DRP4.

120mm & 240mm AIOs are not worth it, and 280mm are only very very slightly better.

Exactly. It's not about worth it's about the need to do it. To get every last drop of performance you can, practically. Ln2 is not practical

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

As others have said, for what you are doing a AIO from corsair or others is perfectly fine. I know when I did my custom loop I was about $1200-$1400 CAD all said and done just for the custom loop pieces. Is it better? Id say so, but does it actually matter? Nope. Im sure if I left my GPU aircooled and just used a good AIO or big ass air cooler I would have similar/same performance in my games as far as FPS is concerned

26 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

Yeah that about right. I call bs on those saying they put a loop together for $100. I just spent $414cad on fittings, a DDC pump, coolant, 1m of 12mm petg, 1m of 12mm glass tubing and a swivel 90 FC terminal.

Now add a swiftech apogee drive ii cpu block, 2 alphacool st30 xflow 240mm rads, a 2080ti waterblock and a backplate. 

Maybe if you lived in or close to China or caught a fire sale part out.

Exactly. It's not about worth it's about the need to do it. To get every last drop of performance you can, practically. Ln2 is not practical

My memory is the guy did it by haunting alibaba express and stuff.  It wasn’t exactly a high end water cooler.  It was done on a 1600 and some gpu I’ve forgotten.  He had bimetallic problems he had to work out too.  I doubt I could do it for so little.  I’d probably cheat and buy a higher end cpu block.  Still $200 sounds very in range.  It’s not impractical either.   If you want high power and low noise at the same time and you happen to have a big enough case it makes sense to me.  I personally would do custom loop before I went AIO.  There are uses for AIO.  It solves some problems that are hard to solve.  

If you aren’t ready for it and cost is an issue, sounds like staying on air is right route. 
Which is how it should be for gamers and headphone users. 

Though there is no comparison between air and water. I’m not much for aio stuff anymore but it does it’s job if you get the right size. Don’t care for large air coolers taking up all my space to make accessing parts of the mobo difficult either. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz