Question about 4 pin connectors

CB_J_IRacing

So technically my headers for fans are all being used but I have plenty of LED, LED CPU, LED1,2,3...etc that are free. They don't have the clip on the header to hold it there, but would one of these LED headers power a fan and be safe or not fall off easily without a clip?? Camera won't focus but trying to give an image. There's one right in the center of the image

IMG_20200117_202511.jpg

Ryzen 9 3900x & Ryzen 7 3700x 120 AIO / MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC / MSI B450 Tomahawk Max & MSI x570 Gaming Pro / Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz 2x8gb / 970EVOplus m.2 NVME 250gb / Adata sata SSD 250gb/ 2TB Hard drive / 9x Noctua Redux 120mm fans / (spare Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz 2x8gb) / Fanatec CSLE+ F1 / V3 Pedals / Next Level Sim Rig / LG Ultra Gear 34" curved ultrawide 144hz / Oculus Rift S / Asus 27" 144hz / crappy keyboard / crappy mouse

I would not use an rgb header for a fan. The header could send voltage into the rpm sense and pwm control wires of the fan and damage things. I would use spliters off of the MB headers, assuming they can handle the amount of power needed, or get a fan controller or direct wire them with an adapter.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

What mobo? 4pin RGB headers are different than 4pin fan headers. You will break hesder, fan or both by using wrong header. RGB pinout is 12V, G, R, B. Fan is 12V, GND, RPM PWM.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, CB_J_IRacing said:

So technically my headers for fans are all being used but I have plenty of LED, LED CPU, LED1,2,3...etc that are free. They don't have the clip on the header to hold it there, but would one of these LED headers power a fan and be safe or not fall off easily without a clip?? Camera won't focus but trying to give an image. There's one right in the center of the image.

Try an Y-connector to use 2 fans on one pwm-socket.

Either use fan splitters, or just buy SATA/Molex to fan header adapters. Or a fan controller.

If you're really forced to, use a needle or paper clip to pull out the pins for pwm and rpm from the fan connector, leaving just the 12v and ground pins....

I would still not use it though, as it's dangerous.  If for some reason the fan fails or the blades are blocked or rarely even due to regular shut down, the motor can kick back some high voltage (voltage spikes) which could damage any potential led controller controlling that header. Fans should have protection diodes inside the fax but sometimes they're missing or ineffective.

Also, fans usually pull a lot of current when starting due to friction and inertia and the led controller may not be designed to handle such high current or the pwm feature (which allows you to change colors and brightness of various colors) can affect the fan startup.

• 2 weeks later...

Dang I didn't get a notification.. it's a b450m mini Mobo but I ended up finding another header but I can't get to it because the GPU sits too close. It's a 2070 super ventus OC and I just have to take the glass panel off when using. It drops from mid-high 70s down to low 60s just doing that. Im just kinda screwed with my current setup. I know those Tempe aren't horrible, I just find it unnecessary

But yeah I didn't end up adding another fan

Thanks I'll look for the adapters guys

Ryzen 9 3900x & Ryzen 7 3700x 120 AIO / MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC / MSI B450 Tomahawk Max & MSI x570 Gaming Pro / Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz 2x8gb / 970EVOplus m.2 NVME 250gb / Adata sata SSD 250gb/ 2TB Hard drive / 9x Noctua Redux 120mm fans / (spare Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz 2x8gb) / Fanatec CSLE+ F1 / V3 Pedals / Next Level Sim Rig / LG Ultra Gear 34" curved ultrawide 144hz / Oculus Rift S / Asus 27" 144hz / crappy keyboard / crappy mouse