FOLD at 100% CPU with low temps and clock or 80% and higher temps and clock?

Hey guys and gals, just recently started back Folding again after many, many years, running an Intel i5 9600K at stock speeds and the question is as in the title - should I run the client at the Full setting so it uses 100% CPU usage on all cores, but runs at a lower boost clock of between 3.8-3.95Ghz with temps staying at or below 71C/160F or should I run it at the medium setting where it uses about 80% CPU and runs boost at 4.3Ghz and temps in the 76C/169F or lower range?

Little info about myself - I live in the Caribbean, avg room temps varies between 26C/79F to 30C/86F in the cooler times of year and 28C/82F to 32C/89F in the hotter times. System is an Intel 9600K on a Gigabyte H370 HD3 MB running a Coolermaster 212 cooler with a push/pull setup, 2 120mm intake fans in the front, 1 120mm fan exhausting out the top (2nd fan on cooler pushes air out the rear exhaust area because of it's close proximity), so air flow is good.

Thanks for any help and/or thoughts. Was just curious which would be better for the longevity of my system and was thinking running it cooler at lower clocks would be it.

Hello and welcome.

Is there not a benchmark which can quantify results for you at different settings?  Or you could find a benchmark and run the settings you wish to compare and hope the results translate.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Welcome to the forums. I'd honestly not use the CPU at all and just go full GPU as it produces way more ppd. 

If you are stuck to cpu though I'd go with the setting that makes the PC more Comfortable to use as I know high cpu usage throttles pretty much everything. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Hey and thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately no discrete GPU yet, just needed to get a new system built after my trusty 2600K system finally bit the bullet beginning of summer, so just using the onboard graphics for now until I can afford and decide on what card I want.

I have used CPUID HW Info and Windows Task Manager to monitor the power draw, temps and clock speeds running at the different settings and to me, the most cost effective is running at the lower boost speeds at 100% as it's showing the CPU only using 70W or under and taking about 2/3 the time as running at medium with about 80% CPU usage and 73-76W draw.

Was just curious what thoughts were on CPU/System longevity running the CPU at 100% pretty much all the time, as I have it set to Fold always and just give up CPU cycles when I need them and haven't found it to cause any issues so far just watching movies, browsing the web and doing some light image editing.

On 12/29/2019 at 1:56 PM, LyNx_G said:

Was just curious what thoughts were on CPU/System longevity running the CPU at 100% pretty much all the time, as I have it set to Fold always and just give up CPU cycles when I need them and haven't found it to cause any issues so far just watching movies, browsing the web and doing some light image editing.

Speed is not what kills chips. Heat is what kills them (or constant fluctuation in heat going from hot to cold to hot over a very extended period)

I have my GPU's both folding, overclocked and at reduced power limits so they consume less power, they've both been running at about 60ºC since august (minus one or two downtimes.)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Thanks again guys, have settled on running at 100% with lower overall temps and overall faster processing of the WU for less total power consumption than running less than 100%. Another benefit of running at 100% is temps staying about the same throughout, not fluctuating up and down depending on how the cores are being switched/used. Will be fun to play with a GPU like a 1650 Super or such when I can get one.