3770K in 2019/2020?

Hello everyone! I've been here a while, but only now did I want to ask a question. 

I have a PC with an i5 2400 and I was wondering if it is worth it to find a 3770K (Most powerful LGA1155 CPU) or a 2600K/2700K (Most powerful Sandy Bridge CPU) so that I can revive my build? I've been planning it for a while but I'm having trouble finding second opinions. Many thanks! 

What motherboard do you have? if you dont have an overclocker board, there is no point of getting a K series cpu. If thats the case, get whatever i7 or Xeon you can find the cheapest and works on your motherboard.

I am still using a 3570K (albeit at 4.5ghz) and I still dont need to upgrade it for games I play and apps that I use.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Welcome to the forum. Depending on the price you find it for. A ryzen 3600 + mobo + ram will be about $350. So if you can find a used i7 for maybe half that price, it's probably worth it, otherwise not.

For a platform that old, if you're gonna upgrade at all, make it a larger one. A Ryzen 5 3600/B450 MAX/16GB DDR4 won't cost you more than $350.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I have a build where I am going to use the i7 3770 as replacement for an i5 2400, on Asus P8P67. The i7 is about as fast as a Ryzen 2200g, with advantages at more than 4 threads - identical price of the cpu, btw, so I didn't have to change anything else - and partial OC does work.

Alternatively, because the i7 -K is a rare find or quite expensive in comparision, you may look for e3 1240v2 or e3 1270v1/v2, usually available for (less than) $80. If you have a board that doesn't allow to change the multiplier you should go with the Xeons anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2019 at 4:33 PM, Levent said:

What motherboard do you have? if you dont have an overclocker board, there is no point of getting a K series cpu.

I have an MSI Z68MA-G45. 

On 12/28/2019 at 4:34 PM, boggy77 said:

Welcome to the forum. Depending on the price you find it for. A ryzen 3600 + mobo + ram will be about $350. So if you can find a used i7 for maybe half that price, it's probably worth it, otherwise not.

Thanks! 

I've seen listings near me of a 2600K/2700K for about 100$ and a 3770K a bit more. I'm still a student so a new build isn't really an option for me. I'm just planning to get a CPU, some cheapo RAM, and a modern GPU and HDD so that if I do get to build a new system, I can reuse the GPU and HDD. 

1 minute ago, crizangel17 said:

I'm just planning to get a CPU, some cheapo RAM

if you need to buy new ram as well, a new build is going to be my recommendation instead.

On 12/28/2019 at 5:12 PM, Sir0Tek said:

Alternatively, because the i7 -K is a rare find or quite expensive in comparision, you may look for e3 1240v2 or e3 1270v1/v2, usually available for (less than) $80. If you have a board that doesn't allow to change the multiplier you should go with the Xeons anyway.

Is a Z68 chipset an overclocking board? I'm looking to push my CPU to around 4-5 GHz to keep up with modern systems. Xeons are harder to find where I am. 

??????

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

if you need to buy new ram as well, a new build is going to be my recommendation instead.

Might as well. I'll just reuse my case, PSU, and storage. 

9 minutes ago, crizangel17 said:

Is a Z68 chipset an overclocking board? I'm looking to push my CPU to around 4-5 GHz to keep up with modern systems. Xeons are harder to find where I am. 

??????

What's a reasonable price for the i7 3770 (non-K)? I might sell it because I also got a Xeon...

Yes it is. Up to 4.3ghz is quite easy with fsb at 100mhz, then increase the fsb in small steps. You may have to give some more power for the turbo-mode. But beware: 4.5ghz for Ivy Bridge is already quite good, Sandy Bridge can go a little further - in theory, because you would need a K to max it out. Xeons ... I usually can catch them here for a price below the one on aliexpress.

3 hours ago, crizangel17 said:

??????

They usually are.

Have you tried in Lazada or Shopee for Xeons? IIRC some are sold there but the pricing might not be to your liking.

Some performance numbers for a 3770K in 2019: 

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

9 hours ago, boggy77 said:

what psu do you have?

An AeroCool Strike-X 80+ Bronze. It's a 650W, I think. 

6 hours ago, grss1982 said:

Have you tried in Lazada or Shopee for Xeons? IIRC some are sold there but the pricing might not be to your liking. 

I'm going to consider Xeons, I'll just research about them some more, since I'm not that familiar with them.