Which cpu would be better for gaming?

I am planning on upgrading to ryzen third gen soon and was wondering which cpu would be better for gaming. The two options I'm considering are the ryzen 7 3800x and the ryzen 5 3600x.

depends on what you plan to do with it and what games you will be playing

different core counts 6 vs 8 and $130 price difference

3800x is better for gaming, but not the best price option, money is better spent on a more powerful gpu, since gpu > cpu when gaming 98% of the time

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 minute ago, henryparkinson said:

Mostly aaa titles as I have a 2070 super to compliment it

whats your price range your looking at?

if you already have the gpu and the money to burn, go for the r7, but imho it's better spent on 2-3 more games

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

I would go with a 3800X only if you can afford it and if you already plan on getting very nice memory with it 3600mhz(16 timings at least).

I own a 3700X and its a beast and i have it fully tweaked out but i still score a little tiny bit lower in some benchmarks to a stock 3800X granted its a 2-3% difference 

2 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

whats your price range your looking at?

No price range

2 minutes ago, SMBGUY said:

Please don't waste money on a 3600X and go with either a 3600 or 3700X in that cas

Alright, I'll check them out

3700x if you can afford it 

3600 if you can't.

3700x is more than you need, but within a reasonable amount of lateral growth and more than you strictly need is better than not enough.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 minutes ago, SMBGUY said:

Please don't waste money on a 3600X and go with either a 3600 or 3700X in that case

Ryzen is all the rage these days!

5 minutes ago, henryparkinson said:

No price range

surely you must have some price limit in mind.

3700X is good, but then buy a good mobo,

ASRock X570 Taichi                                                      $280

Great board, asrock bios is clunky, for the price its great, fully featured, post code, 12 phase vrm, clear cmos on rear i/o, pwr button, reset button, bios flashback, no dual lan, solid board, does a little bit of everything. No dual lan which price range offers.

3 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

-snip snip-

Please dont highlight your text holy crap.

I've used Intel, and AMD AsRock BIOS's and never had an issue with it being "clunky"..

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

15 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

depends on what you plan to do with it and what games you will be playing

different core counts 6 vs 8 and $130 price difference

More cores =  better especially long term.  There are really no downsides going with higher tier Ryzens except price. 

Rule of life:  always go with the best you can afford it'll last you longer and be better value long term than a lower tier / cheaper option. 

And it isn't really different with computer parts tbth 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

Ryzen is all the rage these days!

surely you must have some price limit in mind.

3700X is good, but then buy a good mobo,

ASRock X570 Taichi                                                      $280

Great board, asrock bios is clunky, for the price its great, fully featured, post code, 12 phase vrm, clear cmos on rear i/o, pwr button, reset button, bios flashback, no dual lan, solid board, does a little bit of everything. No dual lan which price range offers.

Nice board man! If i was going X570 the only board i'd get is the Taichi! I love the X370 Taichi that i have such BEAST VRM. With my 3700X it never even hits 50C lol

32 minutes ago, henryparkinson said:

No price range

If money isn't an issue just get a 3950x. You'll want for nothing really.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

23 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

If money isn't an issue just get a 3950x. You'll want for nothing really.

Brings up a point: what motherboard do you have?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, henryparkinson said:

Mostly aaa titles as I have a 2070 super to compliment it

For the 350-600$ cards 3600 is really all you need if just gaming. 

The 3800x is a better CPU by like 200mhz compared to 3600 and has 2 more cores, but if you want to keep the 8 cores and only lose about 100mhz then 3700x makes a lot of sense, i'd opt for that if you are on the fence.