HDMI vs HDMI2

Bassai Dai

Hi all,

I want to make sure that HDMI2 is actully a thing, and I wont be getting ripped off by buying a cable.

I want to watch some 4K content on my 4K TV, I experimented with this the other day with a streamed file (Internet too slow and kept buffering, it'l have to be a download in future). The content appeared to be great quality, and I was using my normal HDMI cable.

Is there really a requirement for HDMI 2?

Thanks all :)

no , if the tv is running it's native res and refresh rate then you don't need anything

HDMI 1.4 = HDMI High Speed Cable = 4K30Hz (those cables have been quite common for the last couple years

HDMI 2.0 = HDMI Super High Speed Cable = 4K60Hz

According to HDMI, a cable may not call itself 'HDMI 2.0', but rather they should follow the (Super) High speed naming.. So a 'HDMI 2.0' cable does exist.

On the other hand, a quality HDMI High Speed cable can do 4K60Hz too.

Not that this is likely needed, as most content on tv (movies, series, etc.) will be distributed at 24-30fps.

A worse HDMI cable will only:

- make it so you have less resolution

- less refresh rate

- or both

But usually it doesn't.. I would not worry about the cable you're using.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Bassai Dai said:

Hi all,

I want to make sure that HDMI2 is actully a thing, and I wont be getting ripped off by buying a cable.

I want to watch some 4K content on my 4K TV, I experimented with this the other day with a streamed file (Internet too slow and kept buffering, it'l have to be a download in future). The content appeared to be great quality, and I was using my normal HDMI cable.

Is there really a requirement for HDMI 2?

Thanks all :)

There's no such thing as an "HDMI 2.0" cable - but there are different cable standards.

Standard HDMI Cable (1080i or 720p)

High Speed HDMI Cable (1080p, 4K 30Hz, etc)

Premium High Speed HDMI Cable (Unsure about it's capabilities)

Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable (4K, 5K, 8K, etc - at 120Hz)

If you want 4K at 30Hz, you need a High Speed HDMI Cable. However, I'd get an Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable instead (it'll allow 4K at up to 120Hz and possibly beyond in the future).

EDIT:

Here's a good break down:

https://www.lifewire.com/hdmi-cables-and-connectors-what-you-need-to-know-4685377

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't know if there is any practical difference? Some old Wal-Mart cable I have gives me 4K 60hz just fine from my PC to TV over HDMI 2.0. Didn't need to do anything else, just plugged it into the tv, set 4K 60hz and things were already done.

Can even do HDR, though global HDR negatively impacts Lightroom as overall brightness in the images are elevated. Properly exposing an image in Lightroom with Windows in HDR mode results in a heavily underexposed image on my other devices, so I leave it in SDR. Not that Lightroom is designed with HDR in mind (yet) at any rate.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…