handbrake hardware requirements?

Hey,

I'm thinking of building a computer to run a Plex server and a samba share on my local network. I will also be using it as a transcoding box, both occasionally through Plex but more commonly through handbrake as I get new media. I need something that can comfortably handle 50-80mbps 10bit h.265 footage in handbrake, but am unsure exactly how much CPU i'll need for that. I assume 16GB of memory will be fine, but I'm also hoping that someone can illuminate whether a GPU would increase transcoding speed at all. I don't do much editing so I'm not worried about needing to throw large videos around a timeline, but if I can get some extra speed for 265 processing or something, i would def put a GPU in. Any help is appreciated!

Id try ffmpeg aswell as handbreak, then script to convert files.

What speeds do you want, what quality?  It will run on almost anything, Just how fast.

GPU won't help with x264 or x265, but nvenc will allow you to transcode very quicky on gpu, but at a slightly lower quality.

If your doing cpu encodes, id get the faster ryzen 3xxx part.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id try ffmpeg aswell as handbreak, then script to convert files.

What speeds do you want, what quality?  It will run on almost anything, Just how fast.

GPU won't help with x264 or x265, but nvenc will allow you to transcode very quicky on gpu, but at a slightly lower quality.

If your doing cpu encodes, id get the faster ryzen 3xxx part.

Have used ffmpeg as well so that's def an option.

Looking to do 1080 AND 4K at 30-70mbps, generally at slowest presets and 20-40fps.

How much worse is video quality with nvenc?

5 minutes ago, handbrake4life said:

How much worse is video quality with nvenc?

While I've not used HB enough recently to be much of a help on a decision but this Reddit topic should help you:

Which provided this image:

iron_man_test_1_x265.mkv_snapshot_00.08.