r7 2700x or i5 9600k for1080p gaming

I'm going to build a pc for 1080p 144hz gaming, but I can't decide between a r7 2700x or an i5 9600k. I mainly play CSGO but I also want to be able to play newer games like shadow of the tomb raider.

these are the specs so far:

Asus Prime x470 motherboard / asus prime z390 - a

be quiet dark rock 4

Corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb ddr4-3200

2 tb hard drive

500gb m.2 nvme ssd

Gigabyte 2060 super windforce OC

corsair rm650x

masterbox td500 white

Which cpu should I pick for 144hz 1080p gaming?

My answer may be of less help than you wish I’m afraid.

Intel vs AMD is something of a point of contention at the moment.  One has better single thread performance the other has more available thread spaces.  I personally am of the “more thread space” group so I would pick the AMD.  It’s a “slower now faster later” choice.  Consider it a vote rather than an endorsement.

Others may have an opposite opinion.

i do not know the quality of the motherboard choices. They might be enough to make one better than the other by themselves.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, mattdel said:

You'd want an R5 3600 with 3600mhz CL16 RAM preferably for 144hz/240hz gaming.

Also you only need a $100 RX 570 to run CS:GO well, it can still do AAA games just fine at medium/high settings 1080p.

otherwise the RX 5700 is faster at the same or potentially a lower price.

What's your budget/country? Do you already own the monitor?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Normally recommend AMD right now, but in this specific use case the 9600k will be better than 2700x.

However, iirc specifically in CSGO the 3rd gen ryzen are doing better than Intel. Could be wrong.

In terms of newer games, as time goes by, you'll want the extra cores and threads.

I'd grab a 3700x tbh.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

22 minutes ago, mattdel said:

I'm going to build a pc for 1080p 144hz gaming, but I can't decide between a r7 2700x or an i5 9600k. I mainly play CSGO but I also want to be able to play newer games like shadow of the tomb raider.

tbh go with the combo that is the cheapest on your wallet (motherboard/cpu combo) as then you can use the other money elsewhere as my last setup was a 2070 and 9th gen i5 combo and it struggled to maintain 144 frames at high or ultra settings (thought im taking about the 2017 starwars and mordhau which are a lot harder to run than csgo)

what ever is cheaper, when also factoring in motherboard price, at the time of purchase. Either one will serve you well.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, mattdel said:

Asus Prime x470 motherboard / asus prime z390 - a

be quiet dark rock 4

Corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb ddr4-3200

2 tb hard drive

500gb m.2 nvme ssd

corsair rm650x

masterbox td500 white

Which cpu should I pick for 144hz 1080p gaming?

This comparison should be more like a R5 3600 or 9600K you should not be considering the 2700x in a pure gaming rig at that price if you get one for black Friday deals then fine(i bought 3 for 135$ on amazon for friend builds)

Ryzen 3000 is better at CSGO than Intel. If you are going to be playing specifically that game and looking ahead to newer games that require more threads, that CPU is the way to go.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

30 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

all suggested are dumb for a budget build, buy a 3500x from aliexpress

It’s Got 6 thread spaces.  It’s better than 4 I suppose.  So basically it’s like a really slow i5 8400. Not an 8400k, because while it’s “unlocked” at max OC It’s still slower than a non k 8400. Personally I’d rather have a 2600.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.