Everyone's entire Google archive open to the public??

Ethnod

Has anyone else watched this video? Can you clarify, I'm sure this can't be accurate, right? Everyone's entire archive open to the public 

A friend sent me this, but it's very late here and I'm quite tired so I'm sure I'm missing something, someone smarter than me can shed light on this I hope 

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

41 minutes ago, kpluck said:

So he is talking about this I would guess? It is hard to imagine how someone that has such little understanding of what is going on managed 378K subscribers. Yikes.

-kp

I myself have noticed a frequently inverse relationship between subscriber numbers and intelligence or accuracy.  Example: the kardashians.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I myself have noticed a frequently inverse relationship between subscriber numbers and intelligence or accuracy.  Example: the kardashians.

so yes, linus channel ;)

i mean how can you take his facial expressions seriously

3 hours ago, kpluck said:

So he is talking about this I would guess? It is hard to imagine how someone that has such little understanding of what is going on managed 378K subscribers. Yikes.

-kp

as for the o.p.'s video

also one video describes all the channels content, and the intelligence of the watchers

maybe it doesnt take much to get 378k subscribers, with clickbait titles, clickbait thumbnails, deceptive titles

11 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

so yes, linus channel ;)

i mean how can you take his facial expressions seriously

as for the o.p.'s video

also one video describes all the channels content, and the intelligence of the watchers

maybe it doesnt take much to get 378k subscribers, with clickbait titles, clickbait thumbnails, deceptive titles

I dunno. “Frequent” is not “always”.  Linus’s stuff I think is at least most often pretty smart, which I like, and he’s popular.  If the whole kardashian family were to suddenly disappear entirely from all media I would shed not a tear though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

kardashian family

sex sells, thats why they got a billion followers

i wouldnt shed a tear neither for them, but it aint hard to get followers. the public is generally stupid as fuck, show them tits and a channel has an instant 1M followers.

17 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

i wouldnt shed a tear neither for them, but it aint hard to get followers. the public is generally stupid as fuck, show them tits and a channel has an instant 1M followers.

Im trying to think whether I watch more male YouTube presenters or female ones... male maybe?  I may be an outlier though.  I like really nerdy stuff like shows about insects and tech and weird history.  I wonder what the stats are for YouTube presenters by sex?

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I wonder what the stats are for YouTube presenters by sex?

they wouldnt know that easily

but google would have algorithms and they would be fairly certain, depending on the aggregate of info from your gmail, yt, google searches, google maps, and whatever else a viewer is using and google can link together.

facebook is similar in their data mining with being able to figure out which way someone swings, their personality types, male female, family, kids, children, parents. at the senate inquiry fb could even specify people who werent even on fb.

1 hour ago, amdorintel said:

Well that's partially correct, that's not really the mechanism by which most people operate.

eg

a) This appeals to me personally (eg vaguely titillating, intriguing, interesting, flashy)

b) This appeals to my culture (religion, political, race, fandom, age group)

or

c) This appeals to me emotionally (positively or negatively)

For example, I'm not going to jump into every SJW battle be it Twitter or Youtube because I don't really give that much of a care unless I feel personally attacked, and that just rarely happens. People who jump into a fight "on behalf of others" tend to have the worst understanding of what they are defending or fighting.

Yet, hit enough key points, and there are people on the internet who "like, follow, subscribe," etc that you can stay engaged with them. But that's the important part, engagement. If you have 1 million followers and you don't make time to respond to each and every follower personally, then they start feeling alienated. Likewise there are people who suddenly feel that you're their best friend if you even respond once, and that can create a toxic feedback loop where a few specific followers/fans drain 90% of your time created for engagement with fans.

There was a study done several years back that basically said that anyone following more than 150 people, are probably not following 150 people, they're likely fake. eg bots, people who "follow back" anyone that follows them, and so forth but they just end up on a mute list and no engagement happens, thus they are a "fake follower"

Yes, you can have a million followers, but if you yourself are following hundreds of people and liking/retweeting random garbage rather that stuff that actually fits you as an individual (or brand in some cases) then you're kinda just doing the same thing, you're not engaging, you're just performing.

If all you do is perform, then you'll be dropped for the next cool thing that comes along and only performs.  Likewise, if all you do is push your brand and not help elevate others, that's also bad, and gives a vibe of not caring about anything except making money.

Like it's astonishing how many people go on the internet and immediately expect to be liked just for performing. Like I'm sorry, no, I don't care if you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, or you were homeless for 20 years, if you're a one-trick-buffoon, then that will only carry you through 5 minutes of fame, and then you're done.

As for what I personally watch/care about:

- Animation

- Games

- Film/TV shows

- Computer/tech stuff

But the important part there is how it's presented. I don't care for the yelly-screamy doofuses who don't really know the subject material. I like the in-depth history/science behind something, even if the presenter hurts themselves a little to demonstrate what not to do.

My Google archive is paused, there's nothing to download.  Gg hackers! 

48 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

fb could even specify people who werent even on fb.

Well that's interesting one have to wonder how they even got that data,  they don't own a search engine like Google does for example,  so most likely explanation they bought it from (someone,  ahem,  probably not Google... ahem *caughs*)

And with all background data like ip addresses and such too I suppose.  In which case one has to wonder how any of that is even legal.  Or why people give their consent to sharing this data nilly willy (more likely actually) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well that's interesting one have to wonder how they even got that data,  they don't own a search engine like Google does

Advertising. Ever fill out a survey? Anywhere?

Youtube throws one at me every few videos asking me if I've heard about product or brand X. It knows that certain brands appeal to certain genders/races/wealth groups, and IP addresses are a good representation of geolocation, even when using a VPN.

28 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Ever fill out a survey?

Yes, but always with fake info of course (and only at my own choosing,  I would never fill out a *random* survey,  that wouldn't make any sense lol, time is money...) I'm also basically never logged into a Google account or similar while using a browser... So I guess any info they might obtain is my ip address. 

28 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Youtube throws one at me every few videos asking me if I've heard about product or brand X. 

I honestly never got one of those o.o

I mean, I don't think no one has any data about me, that would be naive,  I just think it's usually really not very conclusive outside of ip addresses and such (which may change hourly if I feel like it btw ;)

And yes,  I'm always surprised how easily and willingly people give out their info and up their privacy, on the other hand. 

"I have nothing to hide lol" people how I call them. ?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

oh no all my inappropriate pictures i sure hope noone will find them and fall in love with me ?

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

34 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Advertising

Also sorry coming back to this.

Maybe. 

But that's not what I've been going for.  More like the fact that Google apparently mass sells everyone's data and the legal aspects of this. 

And yeap,  I'm totally aware you *have* to give them consent if you make an account with them at least... That's their price.   And I think it's a bit high tbh. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Also sorry coming back to this.

Maybe. 

But that's not what I've been going for.  More like the fact that Google apparently mass sells everyone's data and the legal aspects of this. 

And yeap,  I'm totally aware you *have* to give them consent if you make an account with them at least... That's their price.   And I think it's a bit high tbh. 

Let me tell you. The amount of information Google, or any other IT company with a website, has on "you" is large, but not quite what people think it is.

For social media sites like Facebook. Yes they know a LOT about you, because you volunteered it. Zuckerberg also has made no bones about invading privacy (that's literately how The Facebook started, and had it's wrists slapped many times for privacy violations.) Everyone who uses a social media site's, their undoing will be oversharing. This is why if you use Facebook for anything at all, it should be as narrow as possible. As Facebook operates one of the largest advertising systems in the world, (remember, people were putting facebook social media widgets on their own sites to engage with their fans.)

Google also holds a very large advertising presence. It's a match made in hell when they bought doubleclick, which was one of the leading advertising platforms at the time.

AT&T bought AppNexus, which is -THE- largest advertising network on the web and integrates with all the other ad networks. ALL of them. 

*** Thread locked ***

Rather than removed almost all replies as off topic....

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv