Nvidia or Dell issue ?

Leot1995

So I built a new pc a few days ago . It was working great for about 4 days . After that I had a issue where the pc wouldn't post . After fiddling with it the solution ended up being unplugging and replugging the display port cable . Even this wasn't perfect and eventually started becoming a problem like rolling a dice and hoping it would land on your number . I tested another screen on hdmi and it worked . I came to the conclusion that Dell's powersaving feature was conflicting with the gpu during post . So now I have to hit the power button on my screen so it's off.  Push the power button on my pc and in half a second push the power on my screen or no post . Disabling quick boot in bios doesnt solve this . Did Nvidia mess up with the display ports or what ?

sounds like a bad cable to me...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

sounds like a bad cable to me...

I also thought about this but I eliminated that possibility because I tested the cable on the onboard displayport connector on my z390f and it posted every time

DP has always been messy with me as well. HDMI ALWAYS works, but DP is hit or miss. Things I do when my screen wont display anything. 1) Leave monitor on when shutting off computer. 2) If no image turn off monitor via power button, flip power switch to off if applicable, and then unplug the monitors power from wall for 10-15 secs. PLug back in cord, hit power switch on monitor, and then hit power button on monitor.

144hz only works over DP on my monitor so I deal with this constantly.

I've also changed cords plenty of times.

4 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Did you try booting with the first screen via HDMI or another interface, or swapped the DP cable?

I only have 1 screen and it only supports displayport. I had to take my pc to a friend to test it on HDMI and it posted every time 

Just now, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

DP has always been messy with me as well. HDMI ALWAYS works, but DP is hit or miss. Things I do when my screen wont display anything. 1) Leave monitor on when shutting off computer. 2) If no image turn off monitor via power button, flip power switch to off if applicable, and then unplug the monitors power from wall for 10-15 secs. PLug back in cord, hit power switch on monitor, and then hit power button on monitor.

144hz only works over DP on my monitor so I deal with this constantly.

It's insane right ? I wonder how many cards were released with this same defect .

Just now, Leot1995 said:

I only have 1 screen and it only supports displayport. I had to take my pc to a friend to test it on HDMI and it posted every time 

Test with another screen, with the same cable and coming from the video card's DP output

That will tell you if it's the video card or the monitor.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Test with another screen, with the same cable and coming from the video card's DP output

That will tell you if it's the video card or the monitor.

I will eventually test this in the future. But for now I think I might just get a HDMI screen

4 minutes ago, Leot1995 said:

It's insane right ? I wonder how many cards were released with this same defect .

It's overly frustrating.. You can google this issue all day, but wont find a solid answer. I went from a rx580 to a gtx1080 and thought that might fix it, but no.. It's a bug within display port. 

Lol so it seems the conclusion here Is that display ports might suck ?

I've been using display port for many years and with multiple graphics card and never had this issue tho

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It's a wierd issue because this only started happening with the new build with the rtx2080 . I ran a R9380 on display port for 3 years and I never had this bug