UBUNTU 19.10 installation issues

I made this post for anybody wanting to install Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine on his computer and having issues with the install.

I recently installed Eoan Ermine and had some speed issues on a fully potent setup : I7-8700K; GTX 1060 6GB; 16GB DDR4 RAM; 256GB Nvme SSD...

Over all it is a pretty decent setup, while the graphics card is not really powerfull it is enough for Linux.

OK, when you'll start installing Eoan Ermine, you will instantly notice a speed drop comparing to 19.04 or even 18.04.

At first I thought it was because Ubuntu had become ressource-hungry... Nope

I don't know the cause of this speed drop but I got two ways of fixing it:

1.Install 19.04 and then update to 19.10.

Nothing extraordinary but still the easiest way.

2.When Creating the bootable media, you might want to create another partition, casper -rw for persistent storage.

Even though it's empty It increased my install speed by 5-6 minutes. Wich is noticeable.

Hope I helped you and don't hesitate to ask me for further details. Also if you have suggestions you are free to leave a comment.

10 hours ago, Soldat56 said:

while the graphics card is not really powerfull it is enough for Linux

Linux runs on a potato. Thats more than enough GPU horsepower. Also, just to mention Nvidia has shit Linux support from what I have read. That could be your issue. Where as AMD has its drive built in from what I have read. 

Also what Kernel are you running? I run Ubutnu 19.04 with the 5.3 Kernel. I notice stability issues with the Kernels above 5.3, as in my machine would lock up and have all sorts of issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 12/1/2019 at 5:58 PM, Donut417 said:

Linux runs on a potato. Thats more than enough GPU horsepower. Also, just to mention Nvidia has shit Linux support from what I have read. That could be your issue. Where as AMD has its drive built in from what I have read. 

Also what Kernel are you running? I run Ubutnu 19.04 with the 5.3 Kernel. I notice stability issues with the Kernels above 5.3, as in my machine would lock up and have all sorts of issues. 

I do understand Linux runs on absolutely anything.  That's not the point. You're right about checking the Kernel an my installation media (USB Drive) used a 5.2 Linux Kernel Wich I checked. After upgrading the Kernel (post-installation)

I do not experience any issues.

BTW Nvidia didn't drop Linux support and I have the latest 443.7 driver.

50 minutes ago, Soldat56 said:

I do understand Linux runs on absolutely anything.  That's not the point. You're right about checking the Kernel an my installation media (USB Drive) used a 5.2 Linux Kernel Wich I checked. After upgrading the Kernel (post-installation)

I do not experience any issues.

BTW Nvidia didn't drop Linux support and I have the latest 443.7 driver.

I didn’t say dropped support I said shitty support. AMD is known to work better with Linux. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I didn’t say dropped support I said shitty support. AMD is known to work better with Linux. 

Still, it's not that bad, so I'd say that we're barking up the wrong tree. And yes, I am running an AMD system, but there are a few Linux YouTubers who do not have such crippling experiences with the proprietary drivers and nobody would be recommending to switch to the proprietary drivers right after the installation if Nouveau were offering that much less of a crippled experience. To be fair to Nouveau though, it's pretty good on old cards (the ones used at my school).

16 hours ago, elsandosgrande said:

Still, it's not that bad, so I'd say that we're barking up the wrong tree. And yes, I am running an AMD system, but there are a few Linux YouTubers who do not have such crippling experiences with the proprietary drivers and nobody would be recommending to switch to the proprietary drivers right after the installation if Nouveau were offering that much less of a crippled experience. To be fair to Nouveau though, it's pretty good on old cards (the ones used at my school).

Anyway using the open source drivers is fine if you don't want to dig into gaming.

Just pointing this out but NVIDIA Drivers can now be installed if you select the third party tab during the installation process. They will also update when you update the system via sudo apt update/ upgrade. 

NVIDIA Proprietary Drivers work fine on linux. Nouveau is garbage, it is however only garbage because NVIDIA doesn't like to share any information with the Linux Community.

NVIDIA is the reason the cards get crippled on Linux, NVIDIA only wants Nouveau to work enough to allow you to boot into your environment to obtain the proprietary driver.

AMD Proprietary drivers work fine on linux, AMDGPU is however much better.

AMDGPU along with  the mesa stack get special treatment from the Linux Community as well as Valve. Overall it results in AMD Cards usually performing relatively close or sometimes exceeding windows in Wine+DXVK instances, such as Proton.

AMD however releases the required information to make all of this possible, AMD even recommends using just the standard AMDGPU Driver and mesa stack over theirs.

Both are completely usable, just in gaming instances, the AMD Cards will usually outperform their NVIDIA Counterparts.

NVIDIA has been making improvements since Valve started its Proton compatibility layer, so it may only be a matter of time before that gap closes, but AMD will always have the advantage of having a community driven open-source driver.

21 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

NVIDIA Proprietary Drivers work fine on linux. Nouveau is garbage, it is however only garbage because NVIDIA doesn't like to share any information with the Linux Community.

NVIDIA is the reason the cards get crippled on Linux, NVIDIA only wants Nouveau to work enough to allow you to boot into your environment to obtain the proprietary driver.

Well, the sun is beginning to rise on the horizon, slowly but surely.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-Open-GPU-Docs