Gpu clock speed wont go to its max when all vram is used

Ed.Nev

My vega 56 has all 8gb of vram used in blade and sorcery and this is causing awful lag, however the culprit isn't the amount of vram, its that the game is limiting the clock speed of the vram to 500mhz or 167mhz (nothing different) when in other games it can run up to its full 920mhz. How to I fix this so that the game using the full speed of my vram?

thanks

Vega 56 uses HMB memory, which is not a separate chip on the board like GDDR is, it's actually bonded to the GPU to allow wider and faster communication lanes between them, but it also means that there is a shared heat load between them. The more VRAM is in use, the more heat it is creating, the less thermal room the GPU cores have to boost and visa versa.

8 hours ago, RobFRaschke said:

Vega 56 uses HMB memory, which is not a separate chip on the board like GDDR is, it's actually bonded to the GPU to allow wider and faster communication lanes between them, but it also means that there is a shared heat load between them. The more VRAM is in use, the more heat it is creating, the less thermal room the GPU cores have to boost and visa versa.

so all fans at max? :))))

9 hours ago, Ed.Nev said:

so all fans at max? :))))

Can't hurt if it's getting hammered. However if it's an early example, there could be a case made for repasting and ensuring proper contact pressure from the heatsink. Keep in mind that room temperature, case airflow, CPU heat dumping into the case and location and direction of the power supply can all effect GPU temps too, so if there is optimizations available elsewhere in the system, those would be worth doing before the repasting, as that can be a bit of a pain on modern AMD cards especially for some reason. They're much more sensitive to mounting pressure than I recall at any time since bare die CPUs were commonplace about 10 years ago.

Note to self : never buy HMB memory GPU ☑ 

Spoiler

And my sincere condolences OP that's just awful, hope you can fix it somehow :(

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder