Intermittent text editor control funtionality

Arika

This is something i've been experiencing for a while, though i have no idea if it's a forum issue, or a browser issue.

More often than not the controls along the top of the text editor don't actually work. instead of applying the function, be it bold, strikethrough, quote etc, it just pulls focus away from the editor. So i could have something highlighted to quote, click the quote button, the text un-highlights and can not continue typing until I click back in the text box

you can see this, which i recorded while typing this post

example.gif.d0b859b51b817f516e64c6f69265265d.gif

I've only noticed it on Vivaldi (on multiple computers)

Browser information below

image.png.070eaa1224ab9e077a3044709ff1b1c0.png

Doesn't matter if i'm making a new post, replying to a thread, quoting someone or going back and editing a previous post

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

This is something i've been experiencing for a while, though i have no idea if it's a forum issue, or a browser issue.

More often than not the controls along the top of the text editor don't actually work. instead of applying the function, be it bold, strikethrough, quote etc, it just pulls focus away from the editor. So i could have something highlighted to quote, click the quote button, the text un-highlights and can not continue typing until I click back in the text box

you can see this, which i recorded while typing this post

example.gif.d0b859b51b817f516e64c6f69265265d.gif

I've only noticed it on Vivaldi (on multiple computers)

Browser information below

image.png.070eaa1224ab9e077a3044709ff1b1c0.png

Doesn't matter if i'm making a new post, replying to a thread, quoting someone or going back and editing a previous post

Blame html frameworks for this kinda cruft. Sometimes they're tripped up by minor differences in browsers.

If you open the dev tools (F12) and switch to the console tab, is anything logged when you reproduce the issue?

Roughly how often would you say this happens?

13 hours ago, Kisai said:

Blame html frameworks for this kinda cruft. Sometimes they're tripped up by minor differences in browsers.

Usually it's more an issue of each browser deviating from the spec in a slightly different way, as well as the spec leaving a lot of room for interpretation. HTML WYSIWYG editors are surprisingly difficult to implement, which is why issues occur even with this off-the-shelf and maintained dedicated editor.

HTTP/2 203

17 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

If you open the dev tools (F12) and switch to the console tab, is anything logged when you reproduce the issue?

nothing shows up in the console relating to this issue. Just an Amazon adsystem being blocked

Roughly how often would you say this happens?

Maybe 70% of the time. if i keep trying over and over it will eventually work. If i refresh the page there is a higher chance of it working first time

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Is anyone else able to reproduce this, in Vivaldi or any other browser?

HTTP/2 203

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 4:06 PM, colonel_mortis said:

Is anyone else able to reproduce this, in Vivaldi or any other browser?

THREAD NECRO AHOY

Yes. I have this same issue running vivaldi on the latest update v2.9 methinks. same with the previous two updates of vivaldi. controls work fine for me creating posts as far as i can recall, but i lose all ability to use the controls if I edit a post almost every time without fail.

Edit- since updating today it seems I can barely use the control functions at all now, creating and editing posts. this post being the only one today I was able to do anything on without shortcuts, which I should note do still work.

Vivaldi		2.9.1705.41 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
Revision	ce637bfd730e6b2e549bf8def38f849e1a26bd3b
OS		Windows 10 OS Version 1903 (Build 18362.535)
JavaScript	V8 7.8.279.23
Flash		32.0.0.303

Edit #2 The issue appears to only happen on my laptop, my desktop seems to be fine today. I dont often use my desktop for the forums though so my sample size is only maybe a dozen or so posts on it. Desktop browser/system info below

Vivaldi		2.9.1705.41 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
Revision	ce637bfd730e6b2e549bf8def38f849e1a26bd3b
OS		Windows 10 OS Version 1909 (Build 18363.476)
JavaScript	V8 7.8.279.23
Flash		(Disabled)
User Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.99 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/2.9.1705.41

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||