Installing Linux on a SAS drive - Help

14 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Check out this video, this may be of some use for you

The Perc 6/i has been supported under Ubuntu since the 10 days, so there is either a config issue, or the Perc card is damaged.

Once you get the Perc configured properly, and you try to install Ubuntu, if it throws an error, post that here too, please

What if I only want to install Ubuntu on one drive and have no RAID?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

9 hours ago, Computernaut said:

What if I only want to install Ubuntu on one drive and have no RAID?

Then you remove the Perc 6/i from the computer, and plug the drives directly into the mobo, if that's possible. Some systems give you that option, others have the RAID controller built-in to the mobo, and that option doesn't exist.

Depends on the config of your 2950, I've seen it both ways

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Then you remove the Perc 6/i from the computer, and plug the drives directly into the mobo, if that's possible. Some systems give you that option, others have the RAID controller built-in to the mobo, and that option doesn't exist.

Depends on the config of your 2950, I've seen it both ways

I don't think that's possible in my variant. The backplane is plugged into the motherboard via a 20-pin connector that appears to be for power, the actually SAS cables that come from the backplane are plugged into a board on top of the drive area that has a small heat-sink on it and looks like a RAID card (although I can't be sure, nowhere on it does it say "RAID" or PERC 6/i"). That (removable) card is attached to a sideplane via a PCI-e 8x physical connector and this sideplane is in turn plugged into the motherboard (via a PCI-e 16x physical connector).

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

2 hours ago, Computernaut said:

I don't think that's possible in my variant.

Ok, in which case you need to go into the Perc controller, wipe out all the configs that are there (RAID set ups, etc) save and reboot. The USB Ubuntu should take over and see the drives as just plain drives to install to.

Post pics if you get errors.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

27 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, in which case you need to go into the Perc controller, wipe out all the configs that are there (RAID set ups, etc) save and reboot. The USB Ubuntu should take over and see the drives as just plain drives to install to.

Post pics if you get errors.

I get the same error as before.

10 hours ago, Computernaut said:

I get the same error as before.

So try a copy of windowss server, you should be able to download that freely from MS'es website, good for 30 days (or so)

If that installs, then you have an issue with Ubuntu, if it doesn't, and throws errors, then you may have a damaged RAID card.

What is the *specific* error Ubuntu gives you?

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

So try a copy of windowss server, you should be able to download that freely from MS'es website, good for 30 days (or so)

If that installs, then you have an issue with Ubuntu, if it doesn't, and throws errors, then you may have a damaged RAID card.

Okay, I'll try that.

See page one. I have a screenshot of the error report with all the categories collapsed, just tell me which ones you want to see expanded.

5 hours ago, Computernaut said:

just tell me which ones you want to see expanded.

Probably all of them, unless you can find one that specifically relates to drives or hardware

On 11/23/2019 at 4:05 AM, Radium_Angel said:

I tried it and windows found no drives to install the OS on.

25 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

I tried it and windows found no drives to install the OS on.

Your RAID card is flaky then.

Reflash the firmware (or update the firmware) on the card, or chuck the card and buy a new one on ebay, they're a dime a dozen

30 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Your RAID card is flaky then.

Reflash the firmware (or update the firmware) on the card, or chuck the card and buy a new one on ebay, they're a dime a dozen

Since one of the other servers I have is a PowerEdge 1950, I figured they might have the same RAID card, so I swapped them. I tried again, but go the same result.

On 11/23/2019 at 4:05 AM, Radium_Angel said:

So I set up a RAID 0 VD on my controller using only one drive, Windows picked it up just fine I and I have successfully installed Windows Server 2016. I'll try again with Ubuntu. It would seem that the server (and any operating systems) can only see Virtual Drives.

7 hours ago, Computernaut said:

So I set up a RAID 0 VD on my controller using only one drive, Windows picked it up just fine I and I have successfully installed Windows Server 2016. I'll try again with Ubuntu. It would seem that the server (and any operating systems) can only see Virtual Drives.

Well, packing together multiple drives to be seen as one is a virtual drive (aka, many into one) 

RAID controller cards are tricky things if you are not familiar with them. I'm sure somewhere out there is a manual/howto on their use and configuration, might be worth a read.

In any event, if Windows sees it, that's a good sign. I'd still update the firmware though...

On 11/26/2019 at 3:40 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Well, packing together multiple drives to be seen as one is a virtual drive (aka, many into one) 

RAID controller cards are tricky things if you are not familiar with them. I'm sure somewhere out there is a manual/howto on their use and configuration, might be worth a read.

In any event, if Windows sees it, that's a good sign. I'd still update the firmware though...

I've updated the firmware (using windows), and I've successfully installed Linux. Thank you for your help!

2 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

I've updated the firmware (using windows), and I've successfully installed Linux. Thank you for your help!

Sweet. Enjoy!