Very fast boot up on a hard drive with windows 8.1 but how?

AndreiArgeanu

So, I have been at a Gaming Cafe and in their machines they have like 8th gen i3 processors, hard drive (not sure of it's capacity), gtx 1050 and windows 8.1. Now those PC's like boot up very quickly. Like after they are fully shut down they take like less than 5 seconds to boot up to windows and looking at device manager there does not seem to be no SSD installed in there and it just makes me wonder how come they actually get the PC to boot up this fast?

42 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Fast boot, it basically is like hibernation, so its not doing a full boot up, just copying a ram image from disk.

But even if I shut it down and start it back up it still boots up fast?

19 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

But even if I shut it down and start it back up it still boots up fast?

yep, thats how fast boot works.

Restarts should be much longer though.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:14 PM, AndreiArgeanu said:

So, I have been at a Gaming Cafe and in their machines they have like 8th gen i3 processors, hard drive (not sure of it's capacity), gtx 1050 and windows 8.1. Now those PC's like boot up very quickly. Like after they are fully shut down they take like less than 5 seconds to boot up to windows and looking at device manager there does not seem to be no SSD installed in there and it just makes me wonder how come they actually get the PC to boot up this fast?

Don't forget that the system is probably UEFI base. So you don't have the old BIOS that needs to detect every hardware of the system, one by one, then start Windows boot process (or whatever boot process from whatever OS) and the OS needs to redirect all the hardware itself. UEFI just gets fed the info from the hardware itself and gives it to the OS, saving a lot of time.

Another thing that helps, are using GPUs that boot fast. Reviewers sadly don't look at this, and so I don't know which one does boot quickly over others.

And, lastly, simple motherboard, means less hardware, means less drivers to load, means faster startup. While yes Fast Boot does save/restore that part like hibernation, as you have less, then it boots quicker as there is less data to transfer.

Lastly, is probably the drive was defragmented where not only there is no fragmentation of system file, but also that they are sorted by access time, so that the HDD head doesn't need to travel all over the place to get data.