Im struggling to output a good FPS through games, what is my bottleneck?

Mitteh
Go to solution Solved by Corrupt_Liberty,
11 minutes ago, Mitteh said:

Ultrawide monitor with 3440x1440 resolution (@60Hz)

I found your problem ↑

That's a tough resolution to push with modest hardware.  You can safely upgrade your GPU without fear though.  While 4790k will be a bottleneck it won't be by much.  You'll only lose a couple fps over a newer CPU even with a 2080.  

Hi everyone, i game quite a bit, but more demanding games seem to make my display stutter, like skipping frames when watching scenery like in assassins creed when you go look arround on your eagle spot.

The thing im struggling with is what would be my bottleneck.

My specs:

Desktop PC:

- MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard

- intel i7 4790k @4.00 GHz

- Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI)

- 16GB DDR3 ram (4 x Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1600)

- 1TB Corsair Force MP510  M.2 NVMe SSD

- and about 6TB of other hdds...

- Monitor LG 34UC87-B Ultrawide monitor with 3440x1440 resolution (@60Hz)

Now my guess would be if i upgrade my videocard i would run into a bottleneck at my CPU and if i upgrade my CPU i have to upgrade my motherboard because it wont be compatible and RAM because cmon not gonna stick with ddr3 if i upgrade everything. so that would be a major investment.

Then again im not sure if that is my main problem. maybe the display is just to slow at 60Hz to display me the smooth images...

Thanks in advance! :D

3440x1440p and the GTX970 are not a good pairing...

First step, Lower Texture quality (leave everything else alone)

It should remove some stuttering (not hitting the 3.5-4GB VRAM cap anymore)

Thats why it feels slow...most likely a VRAM being fully utilized issue..

The GTX970 is more suited (nowadays) to 1080p standard or 1080p Ultrawide (2560x1080) but the 1440p/UW1440p is too demanding for AAA games and providing smoothness at Medium-High settings or above...

It's 3.5GB Vram limit is holding it back, as is core performance (chasing UW 1440p)

Lowering Textures for such Higher resolutions (1440p) is probably needed first.. then shadows and whatever uses VRAM greatly like Textures..

A Better GPU and a CPU overclock wouldn't go astray in the long term...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

11 minutes ago, Mitteh said:

Ultrawide monitor with 3440x1440 resolution (@60Hz)

I found your problem ↑

That's a tough resolution to push with modest hardware.  You can safely upgrade your GPU without fear though.  While 4790k will be a bottleneck it won't be by much.  You'll only lose a couple fps over a newer CPU even with a 2080.  

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

9 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

3440x1440p and the GTX970 are not a good pairing...

First step, Lower Texture quality (leave everything else alone)

It should remove some stuttering (not hitting the 3.5-4GB VRAM cap anymore)

Thats why it feels slow...most likely a VRAM being fully utilized issue..

The GTX970 is more suited (nowadays) to 1080p standard or 1080p Ultrawide (2560x1080) but the 1440p/UW1440p is too demanding for AAA games and providing smoothness at Medium-High settings or above...

It's 3.5GB Vram limit is holding it back, as is core performance (chasing UW 1440p)

Lowering Textures for such Higher resolutions (1440p) is probably needed first.. then shadows and whatever uses VRAM greatly like Textures..

A Better GPU and a CPU overclock wouldn't go astray in the long term...

thank you for your reply, i was guessing as much, but as far as overclocking goes, im not that experienced, maybe i would rather go with the new GPU like Corrupt_Liberty suggested, if that helps for now, and then at a later moment in time i would then upgrade the whole bunch together

I have a 49' Samsung monitor and even with 2 RTX 2080's ti I have that issues at times with demanding games.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

5 minutes ago, Ravenbear said:

I have a 49' Samsung monitor and even with 2 RTX 2080's ti I have that issues at times with demanding games.

Then again when im playing Assassins creed oddysey on low/medium with playable stutter, if i cant play ultra then so be it, but this just hurts my eyes haha

4 minutes ago, Mitteh said:

Then again when im playing Assassins creed oddysey on low/medium with playable stutter, if i cant play ultra then so be it, but this just hurts my eyes haha

I feel your pain.  AC Odyssey is a tough game to run.  I only wish it supported SLI so my second 1080 ti didn't just sit there giving me dumb looks while I play.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:42 AM, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I feel your pain.  AC Odyssey is a tough game to run.  I only wish it supported SLI so my second 1080 ti didn't just sit there giving me dumb looks while I play.

That's odd, Assassins Creed Odyssey run on my RTX 2080 Ti's. I wonder if it might be the difference between GTX and RTX?

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

1 minute ago, Ravenbear said:

That's odd, Assassins Creed Odyssey run on my RTX 2080 Ti's. I wonder if it might be the difference between GTX and RTX?

It runs fine on my 1080 ti.  I do struggle to maintain 60 fps with max settings at 1440p though.  But without SLI support I can't get closer to that 100fps mark I should be able to get.