Nintendo’s Failed VR Console: Virtual Boy Let’s Play

nicklmg

You know, It would be awesome to get a video of Linus playing Badminton.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Would it be possible to have a video, or livestream, of the disassembly, of the broken Virtual Boy ?

Virtual Boy really wasn't VR, as it was more 3D.  

I know it says 'virtual' in the name, and it's technically a headset.  But the Virtual Boy is more akin to the 3DS than it is to the Oculus Rift in terms of similarities.

It was advertised as being the first console to display stereoscopic 3D graphics.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Somehow hearing about this thing always makes me melancholic, since it reminds me of its creator Yokoi Gunpei (who also is the father of Metroid) and what could have been, had he not died in an accident after leaving Nintendo and making a GameBoy competitor over at Bandai called the WonderSwan.

Maybe given more time the Virtual Boy could have succeeded. It definitely has more charm than the GameBoyColor, which just added colors. Something I didn't feel was worth getting a new console over, especially since GameGear already existed.

Luke and Linus have a much more natural on screen chemistry than when Linus shoots video with the other employees.   Like WAN show the vid was fun to watch, you got the sense that the guys were really having fun and bring us along.    Its a shame Luke isn't in more regular vids other than WAN show.

Oh and +1 on the live stream of the virtual boy fix.

I really enjoyed the video. The only thing is in the beginning parts of the video where  Linus is giving the history of the device, some parts are obviously copied from the the Wikipedia article without any credit to the source, which could be considered plagiarism.

Example 1 : In the video at 2:21 what Linus says is essentially word for word the following extract of the Wikipedia article:

" The Virtual Boy was panned by critics and was a commercial failure. Its failure has been cited as due to its high price, monochrome display, unimpressive "3D" effect, lack of true portability, health concerns, and low quality games. "

Example 2: In the video at 4:55 again what Linus says is word for word what is written in the Wikipedia article apart form the 'CPU' abbreviation and a few words inserted into the base sentence:

" The central processing unit is a 32-bit RISC chip,[2] making the Virtual Boy Nintendo's first 32-bit system.[19] The Virtual Boy system uses a pair of 1×224 linear arrays (one per eye) and rapidly scans the array across the eye's field of view using flat oscillating mirrors. "

You can tell other parts where the Wikipedia article was used as a reference, but at least the sentence wasn't just copy-pasted into the script so it isn't plagiarism, although it would probably be nice to cite your sources.

I felt like it was necessary to point it out as I don't feel that for a media company as big as LMG there is really any excuse to plagiarize and not even bother to at the very least to  reference the source.

Used a throwaway to avoid getting spammed on my main account.