Hide topics based on blacklisted words/phrases

lewdicrous

The ability for members to hide certain topics from subforums by adding words/phrases into a blacklist, so for example, if I don't want to see any "ROG rig reboot" threads on general discussion or off-topic, then I just add that phrase to an ignore list.

I, and I'm sure a number of other members, are tired of seeing a lot of topics asking about the same thing, "when is [insert topic here] going to happen?" or "will this [insert something that was asked before] come back?"

Also, having the blacklist be filtered by individual subforums would be a nice touch; if I want to see threads about it on the official LTT subforum, but not on other subforums.

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i don't think threads could even be hidden on an individual basis ._. (e.g. threads made by ignored users)

You can hide/ignore posts made by ignored users, but it's not really a solution for the many threads that get posted..

image.png.0cbb3ebfaeea5ea97b6e185832c6fcac.png

Adding a dozen or so people to that list every day isn't really a viable option, unfortunately.

Having an extension to that where you can add words instead of people would be nice.

i think that would have to be a custom build thing, doubt thats implemented in the forum thing. Its not a bad idea to add to their backlog of work to do to be implemented in like 45 years when they are done with the other stuff :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i think that would have to be a custom build thing, doubt thats implemented in the forum thing. Its not a bad idea to add to their backlog of work to do to be implemented in like 45 years when they are done with the other stuff :P 

If the decision has to be made by the forum devs, then yea, we'll have to wait for a lifetime or two.. ?

This issue with this is simply, this is a forum. A place like Derpibooru, for example, is an art sharing website. If a user wishes to not see a specific kind of image, for example images that relate to r34, they can choose to hide those tags. However, this system relies on uploaders actually using the right tags. Though if they don't, other users can intervene and apply them very easily.

Now why doesn't that work here? Because a question that someone would deem "stupid" may simply just be a question from a novice or beginner. That would mean the person coming here seeking help wouldn't get the same level of help, if any, simply because most users have certain tags hidden/blocked that relate to it. An example being "first pc build" or "first full custom water cooling help" etc. 

Just my two cents.

5 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Just my two cents.

I was thinking more in terms of the title of a topic, not necessarily the tags (but that would be helpful too)

A lot of newcomers don't even bother searching for the answer before they post something, so you get several threads asking the same questions over and over, several other people will post threads about the same topic, rig reboot for example, when there already exists an official thread for that.

Being a novice looking for help is one thing, being lazy is another. I'm just tired of seeing all the lazy threads, including threads that just have "help!" As titles.