Advice on my current laptop situation?

Zev_7

So yesterday i decided to bring my laptop downstairs to help my mom with her iPhone 11, but as soon as i plugged it in the battery just died (I was pretty sure i had it charged) and when i booted it up again with the charger i was greeted with, "Your battery needs to be replaced". I decided to use HPs diagnostic tool and it confirmed that the battery is no longer useful, and im kinda pissed because my warranty is gone after having it for only 1 year, 2 months, 21 days. Yes my usage with the laptop was consistent and i always charged it, but i started leaving it plugged in all the time even when off because i need the juice to game. 
The laptop gets extremely hot while gaming, 88-95 Celsius and burns my finger when i touch the speaker grill so i think that might have killed the battery even faster. 

(Laptop model: HP Pavilion Gaming 15t-cx0000) 

Because its the weekend there's nothing i can do since HP is closed, but I don't need to go anywhere anytime soon although i want advice on three things-
1. Should i even bother with HP service? I don't know how much they'll charge to have them replace the battery.
2. I am capable of replacing the battery myself and HP sells the batteries on their website for $116, should i do this? 
3. Finally, should i just sell the laptop and buy a different brand? 

1 minute ago, 7even said:

Should i even bother with HP service? I don't know how much they'll charge to have them replace the battery.

Honetly IMO I would check out a local spot faster and get a quote from them if you want

2 minutes ago, 7even said:

I am capable of replacing the battery myself and HP sells the batteries on their website for $116, should i do this? 

Thats honestly up to you. If your confident in your skills then go ahead. Its not that difficult though, especially if theres a iFixit guide to your laptop

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Honetly IMO I would check out a local spot faster and get a quote from them if you want

Thats honestly up to you. If your confident in your skills then go ahead. Its not that difficult though, especially if theres a iFixit guide to your laptop

I've opened it before to install components and HP provides you with the service guides they use to service these laptops on their website. 
So yeah i definitely could 
But i could also ask at a local spot 

7 minutes ago, 7even said:

I've opened it before to install components and HP provides you with the service guides they use to service these laptops on their website. 
So yeah i definitely could 
But i could also ask at a local spot 

DIY is always cheaper unless there is a *massive* price disparity between consumer and wholesale prices, which is basically impossible.

Keep in mind your own work doesn't come with a warranty, if that matters to you than a local shop makes far more sense.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 minute ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Looks like it's an easy system to do a battery swap.

https://supportvideos.ext.hp.com/detail/video/6065418183001/hp-pavilion-15-cx0000-laptop-pc-teardown

If the system is still meeting your needs, this is probably the best option.

I mean it does but i can't have the battery dying every year, if i swap it out this time around i don't want it dying again. 

2 minutes ago, 7even said:

I mean it does but i can't have the battery dying every year, if i swap it out this time around i don't want it dying again. 

Me personally; based on the retail cost of the laptop. I would replace that battery a couple times before giving up on it. As heat shortening the life of the battery will be an issue on any high end laptop.

I am not sure on your exact usage case, but 1 year on a lithium battery is about par with constant usage and allot of heat; unless it was always plugged in at all times?

1 minute ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Me personally; based on the retail cost of the laptop. I would replace that battery a couple times before giving up on it. As heat shortening the life of the battery will be an issue on any high end laptop.

I am not sure on your exact usage case, but 1 year on a lithium battery is about par with constant usage and allot of heat; unless it was always plugged in at all times?

Yeah it was constantly plugged in all the time, with few days that i had it off the charger along with those other two factors. 

1 minute ago, 7even said:

Yeah it was constantly plugged in all the time, with few days that i had it off the charger along with those other two factors. 

That death defiantly seems premature; in this case I might give another battery a try in case the battery was faulty from the start. But as you stated earlier it sounds like the machine is just cremating the battery.

2 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

That death defiantly seems premature; in this case I might give another battery a try in case the battery was faulty from the start. But as you stated earlier it sounds like the machine is just cremating the battery.

I think i will replace the battery just this once but maybe try and lower the temperatures by using lower settings on the games i play. 
Just for the record, having it plugged in all the time won't kill the battery? 

Just now, 7even said:

I think i will replace the battery just this once but maybe try and lower the temperatures by using lower settings on the games i play. 
Just for the record, having it plugged in all the time won't kill the battery? 

Theoretically; you may want to adjust can curves, keep air ports clear, and maybe get a laptop cooling pad. From the disassembly video it looks like the battery touches the external shell so a cooling pad may do something to help the battery survive.

UPDATE: Apparently after running diagnostics, the battery seems to be totally fine and the incident with plugging an iPhone 11 into the USB C Port most likely caused the false error. 
Might have short circuited the laptop, might have just bugged it out-
I honestly really don't know. 

Good thing i dont have to waste money now

3 hours ago, 7even said:

UPDATE: Apparently after running diagnostics, the battery seems to be totally fine and the incident with plugging an iPhone 11 into the USB C Port most likely caused the false error. 
Might have short circuited the laptop, might have just bugged it out-
I honestly really don't know. 

Good thing i dont have to waste money now

If it happens again I would suggest getting a "USB-C dust cover" to remind yourself, and to force other to take pause before using that port.

Spoiler

image.png.9cd50ca90fa6cfe3f3b4c6a5b8d34a8b.png